PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1220 vs recommended?

Jack Camillo
01-02-2011, 8:41 AM
This should be an easy one since it's been around a while. I'd like to start turning, and see that a Jet 1220vs can be had for $516.00 at a certain internet retailer. I want to stay under 500 for a lathe, and this is close enough. The size, power, and capacity seem to be about right for what I want to do.

Would anyone NOT recommend the Jet 1220vs? Should I be looking at something different in the same price range? Thanks.

Tim Thiebaut
01-02-2011, 8:54 AM
Hi Jack, just wanted to say I bought my 1220VS during Rocklers sale last month, and I love it! It is a joy to turn on, I am the first to admit I am very much new to turning but this will last me for many years to come.

Russell Eaton
01-02-2011, 8:54 AM
I have the 1014 and just bought a Delta 46-460. I have turned on a 1220 and the difference is power. The Delta has a 1 horse motor and that is huge. It also has reverse and that is a big deal also. If all you want to do is turn pens it will be fine. If you want to turn bowls or pepper mills you will want the larger motor. I turned some turkey pot calls on the 1014 before I got the 46-460 and it would stall the lathe with a parting tool. The delta does not even slow down. When you add a chuck or other attachments to the headstock it makes the motor work a lot harder. I got mine out the door for 582$ and got a 50$ store coupon for a later purchase. That would put it right in your price range. Hope this helps. Russell

Clint Baxter
01-02-2011, 9:07 AM
+1 on what Russell said. It does depend on what will be done on the lathe though. As he said, if you're only doing smaller diameter items like pens, finials and the like, you don't need the extra power the Delta provides. However, if you are to forage into larger items such as bowls, turkey pots, plates or decide to start hollowing, you are going to need that extra oomph. That's also where the reverse will shine for you. Sanding works so much better when you're able to reverse that spin and cut against all those fibers from both directions. I wish the Delta would have been available when I bought my first lathe, (on #4 now). Might have saved me a few dollars.

My $.02 FWIW.

Clint

Chris Stolicky
01-02-2011, 9:09 AM
Many times these types of threads eventually lead to recommendations of 'you got to get the best.... Oneway, PM, etc...' With fear of heading in that direction a little bit, I would highly recommend the Delta 46-460. While the Jet is a nice solid machine, if you could save a little more and get the Delta, I promise you will be happier in long term with it.

I do have the 46-460 myself. I had a Jet 1014i and have turned on the Jet 1220. I do own a larger Jet, so I am not brand bias.

Thom Sturgill
01-02-2011, 9:49 AM
As several have indicated the motor size in this range is critical depending on what you want to turn. The 1014 has a 1/2hp motor the 1220 a 3/4hp and the Delta 1 hp. I turned on a 1220VS for two years and upgraded to a 1642 (1 1/2hp) six months ago. An unbalanced 12"x3" blank taxed the 1220VS and is what led me to upgrade.

The 1014 is fine for pens and smaller items, but as you get larger, add the mass of a chuck, etc, the motor just does not cut it. The 1220 will take you quite a bit further and is quite adequate for 8-10" bowls. The Delta has the motor size often found on smaller full size machines, but is limited by the 12 1/2" swing and bed length (bed extensions are available for all of them). I'm sure some of the 'Delta Force' will chime in with how big a turning they have been able to do on the machine.

Dennis Ford
01-02-2011, 12:52 PM
The Jet 1220vs is a very nice machine. I have the non vs version and like it a lot. If you get near the size limit of the machine, then you will wish for more power (and more weight and more size capacity). I think that is true of any machine. I agree that the Delta 46-460 is a little bigger and better.

Roger Chandler
01-02-2011, 2:17 PM
If it were me wanting to spend on a lathe in that price range.......it would definitely be the Delta 46-460 because of the extra power and the reversing feature........you can't beat a VS lathe and this one is smooth and powerful for its size!

Dennis Dupont
01-02-2011, 4:20 PM
I have the non-vs 1220 and love it. Got it for under 400 (incl shipping) as a step up from a beginner lathe. I have seen some negative comments at Amazon on the VS motor and switch for the Jet and several other similar Chinese made knock-offs. I didn't expect to need the VS bad enough to risk the headaches and changing speeds on the 1220 is a breeze.

One problem I did experience that was mentioned on the Amazon site is the loose pulley on the motor. I don't know if that is a recurring problem or one that tightening the set screw will fix semi-permanently.

I was told to stay with small bowls, but I have tried some very heavy and large logs for natural edge bowls and it worked well despite the small size. The fact that it weighs about 100 pounds helps, but even so it will need a better stand than I have for that type of usage. I have also taken it down to tiny Christmas ornaments, so it handles a wide range of jobs.

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2011, 7:04 PM
I have the Jet 1220 VS and love it. Haven't really seen a need for reverse on smaller projects.