PDA

View Full Version : Claro walnut

Fred Belknap
01-02-2011, 8:33 AM
I was reading Johns post on his latest creation and got to wondering what the difference was in Claro walnut and regular Black walnut that is common around here?? In the picture it looks quite similar. If I went to buy some is there any way I could tell them apart? Thanks
:confused:

John Keeton
01-02-2011, 8:42 AM
Fred, after using a lot of Claro walnut, I can usually tell the difference on sight. Claro (California Walnut) is used for root stock when grafted to English walnut stock for walnut orchards. It is usually very figured, and has a lot of color variation in it - with highlights of yellow, black, shades of brown, and sometimes even a metallic look. Lot of chatoyance, usually. Black walnut is one of my two favorite woods for furniture work, and I love working with it. I have not used Claro for flatwork, but I have turned both black walnut and several pieces of Claro. Claro is a wonderful wood to turn. It seems very stable, and takes a great finish - though it is pourous, somewhat moreso than black walnut. It is a little more dusty than black walnut.

Given a choice between the two, Claro is my pick, hands down!! I buy all of my Claro from Mike Smith at http://www.easternncwoodworkers.com/ Much of what he has comes from cutoffs from the gunstock industry - a prime use for Claro. It can have outstanding figure in it!

Hope that helps as a starter. Perhaps others will chime in.

Fred Belknap
01-02-2011, 9:19 AM
Thanks John, that is a good explanation. Doubt if I will be using any as I have never bought any turning wood, I just use what I can find on my property or people let me have. It's nice to know though.:)

Don Alexander
01-02-2011, 1:40 PM
the one piece of claro that i bought was for a 50th anniversary present block was 8x8x4 and just over half of it was burl i cut a 3/4 slab off the burl side to center it up grainwise and cut it round on the bandsaw i got enough out of the slab and the corners gor 15-16 pens the first of which sold pretty fast and more than paid for the original blank

that piece was fun to turn and highly figured on the side opposite the burl when i run out of pen blanks form the first piece i'll consider buying another :D

David E Keller
01-02-2011, 2:56 PM
Here's the wikipedia info on the topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_hindsii

It's beautiful stuff!

Tim Thiebaut
01-02-2011, 2:57 PM
I bought a piece yesterday while at the store taking advantage of their new years day sale, it is "8x"8 square and cost me $7 and change, I couldnt pass it up it was so beautiful.

Jim Burr
01-02-2011, 3:01 PM
A fun way to take advantage of a nice supply of this is to head to the bay area...Vallejo or Benecia (California). Dozens of pickup's are there with burls and root balls selling to the Japanese veneer ships that process the wood on the spot. What ever isn't purchased by the ships buyers is sold in the parking lot...don't show up with a Corolla!

brian watts
01-02-2011, 7:59 PM
A fun way to take advantage of a nice supply of this is to head to the bay area...Vallejo or Benecia (California). Dozens of pickup's are there with burls and root balls selling to the Japanese veneer ships that process the wood on the spot. What ever isn't purchased by the ships buyers is sold in the parking lot...don't show up with a Corolla!

that would be nice i have a big trailer..lol

Aaron Wingert
01-03-2011, 12:08 AM
that would be nice i have a big trailer..lol

Pick me up on your way to California Brian.

Scott Hackler
01-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Pick me up on your way to California Brian.

Gimme 2 1/2 hours to get to Aaron's place before you pick him up! (I have a trailer too!) :)

David E Keller
01-03-2011, 1:29 AM
Road trip? Count me in! I can be at Aaron's about as quickly as Scott.

Ken Masco
01-03-2011, 2:38 AM
Japanese veneer ships? I would like to hear more about that!