PDA

View Full Version : Zero clearence insert for Saw Stop

Jay Jolliffe
01-02-2011, 7:39 AM
Has anyone made some for their SS ?

Paul Ryan
01-02-2011, 9:38 AM
What model sawstop are you refering too.

Don L Johnson
01-02-2011, 9:42 AM
Yes. I used 1/2" baltic birch plywood. Rought cut around the blank and then double stick taped to the original to pattern bit to final size. Drilled the finger hole and the four leveling screw holes. At the back and bottom, I had to route a relief on each side so the screw bumps on the saw would not interfere. I bought 4 1/4" by 1/2" allen screws from Lowes for the leveling screws. To cut the first blade path, I had to double stick the new insert on top of the old one because of blade clearance problems (IMPORTANT: REMOVE THE RIVING KNIFE BEFORE THIS STEP!!!). I then took a long stick and laid it on the new insert and put downward pressure on it before raising the blade (my wife held one end and I the other). After getting the first kerf in it, and took it off the original insert and fit it in the saw; then screwed the allen screws in to level. The one issue to be aware of is that if you later raise the blade beyond its original kerf mark, put the fence just over the edge to hold it down to deepen the kerf, otherwise the 0 insert will rise on you. The reason you remove the riving knife is so it won't deflect into the blade.

Ron Natalie
01-02-2011, 10:38 AM
I bought there's when I ordered the Dado insert, etc... but frankly there's not much difference here than any other saw if you don't care to install their little nifty hold down feature.

ONE WORD OF WARNING: I didn't do it, but I hear other's have. Remove the RIVING knife before raising the blade into the insert. While this won't work on any saw, attempting to do this on the sawstop will bend the knife into the blade and trigger the explosive bolts.

Jay Jolliffe
01-02-2011, 5:12 PM
I have the PCS saw......Thanks for the information. I've made them for the other saw I had the same way Don described but thought it might not work on this saw.....Thanks again

David Giles
01-02-2011, 8:46 PM
I have several BB templates, mostly for the dado blades and angled cuts. For the standard 1/8" saw blade, I used the phenolic plate that came with the saw. A thin piece of veneer is attached to the top with spray adhesive. Their is enough slack in the "feet" to flush the veneer with the table top. It lasts about 6-12 months, then a new veneer piece is glued on.

Mike Heidrick
01-02-2011, 9:03 PM
Great idea David!