PDA

View Full Version : A chisel and a homemade skew

Shawn Stennett
01-02-2011, 1:03 AM
Just a chisel that I got at a flea market and one from ebay that was in bad shape. The one from theflea market I just cleaned up and sharpened, the one from ebay I remade into a skew following the article from a FWW.175986

Also there is a picture of a Dovetail marker I made today as well.

Roy Lindberry
01-02-2011, 1:38 AM
Just a chisel that I got at a flea market and one from ebay that was in bad shape. The one from theflea market I just cleaned up and sharpened, the one from ebay I remade into a skew following the article from a FWW.175986

Also there is a picture of a Dovetail marker I made today as well.

I read that article recently as well, and am thinking about making a skew. I noticed that you seem to have had the same thought as me regarding the angle, which is that a little more of an angle might be preferable. The author (I can't remember who wrote it offhand), I believe, was putting a very mild angle on his, but I thought something more severe would work better in half-blinds and for other things.

Paul Incognito
01-02-2011, 8:01 AM
Nice job on the chisels. I made a fishtail chisel like the one Rob C uses in his half blind dovetail video.
How did you make the dovtail marker? I made a similar one using a hacksaw and it could be better.
PI

Shawn Stennett
01-02-2011, 9:16 AM
I started with a hacksaw too then to a grinder.

James Phillips
01-02-2011, 9:30 AM
Garrett Hack wrote the article I believe. As far as the angle goes, he has been doing this for a long time and remember the quote, "Learn from others mistakes, you do not have time to make them all yourself". I would go only steep enough that it gets to the corners.

I also just made one from one of my old blue handle Irwins and plan to make atleast one more in a different size.

Shawn Stennett
01-02-2011, 11:57 AM
To be quite honest, I started off intending on using the 18 degrees that he suggested but it didn't happen that way. Sometime in the grinding process I got off on my angle and by the time I noticed I had already ground the bevel. So I left it like it was to try it out.

Dan Andrews
01-02-2011, 7:59 PM
Very nice work Shawn.
I'll bet you enjoyed it while saving many $$$.

Shawn Stennett
01-02-2011, 9:26 PM
To be honest the DT guide was not worth the trouble really. I did enjoy the Stanley Skew I made though, I used it today, and I made a handle for the stanley 720 (I think) also.

Johnny Kleso
01-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Funny but I was just at the book store checking out the article too..

Looks like yu did a pretty good job grinding..
While looking at the artical it did not look like Garrett used a tool rest, I would have :)

Roy Lindberry
01-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Garrett Hack wrote the article I believe. As far as the angle goes, he has been doing this for a long time and remember the quote, "Learn from others mistakes, you do not have time to make them all yourself". I would go only steep enough that it gets to the corners.

I reread the article today while I was at my dad's house. I must have missed the part where he said that it might be tempting to go with a steeper angle, but don't. He said that the chisel would tend to move on you. So, if/when I get around to making one, I will take his advice.

Shawn Stennett
01-03-2011, 12:47 AM
I didn't have any trouble grinding really and it worked really well on a few half blinds I did today. It did take a while to grind to keep it cool, but after the bevel grind it was easy to sharpen. I got this one off ebay where to seller forgot to mention that it had a huge gouge taken out of the back near the tip whereI would have to take a huge amount of material off the back to flatten. I was able to get it out when I ground the angle thats why I chose that direction of angle for the skew.

Shawn Stennett
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM
This is the handle for the Flea Market, a thanks go to Pat Zabrocki for the wood.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png