PDA

View Full Version : Get a Grip

Tom Hamilton
01-07-2005, 6:43 PM
The EBay Stanley 220 arrived and I've been busy with the wet/dry paper and a spray bottle.

However, the iron is small, thin and slippery. Any "tricks" on holding on the these little fellows when flattening the back on the paper and glass?

There must be a "jig" or something, but I've not been able to come up with it.

I look forward to the answer.

TJH

Tony Sade
01-07-2005, 9:21 PM
Tom-I'm sure the experts will chime in here momentarily, but, FWIW, you don't need to flatten the entire back of a plane blade. Hang your glass plate on the edge of your bench, and you should be able to grab enough of the blade that's hanging over the edge to hold on firmly. If it's still too slippery, grab a piece of something that will grip and use it to hold onto the blade. HTH, Tony

Tom Hamilton
01-07-2005, 9:40 PM
Thanks, Tony, you are correct and that is an easy fix. I was "mirror reflection" mode and was trying for the whole iron. It will cut just the same either way. TJH

Lou Morrissette
01-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Would strong rare earth magnets give you a better grip?:confused:

Lou

Brian Buckley
01-08-2005, 8:31 AM
Lou,

The problem with useing rare earth magnets is the small metal particles will "stick" to the blade as you sharpen. This will cause an uneven grinding effect as you flatten the back. You will be unable to get a flat back and a mirror finish.

Brian

Mark Singer
01-08-2005, 9:56 AM
Lee valley has a short blade holder for honing...There are others also...Tormek has one.

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/carving/05p3203s.jpg

Ellen Benkin
01-08-2005, 2:44 PM
Use double stick tape and attach it to a (flat) board that you can grip. This will also give you even pressure on the whole blade. I do this even for blades that are big enough to grasp by themselves.

Tom Hamilton
01-08-2005, 6:20 PM
Thanks, Mark and Ellen, I knew there was an answer out there. TJH