PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Color Change Question

James Combs
01-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Looking at Kathy's Cottonwood Surprise post reminded me of a question I had last night. I have a piece of walnut in my DNA bath from turning last night. Wish I had thought to take a photo.:o Anway it was also very green like Kathy's and it has tremendous contrast between the heartwood and the sap wood. The sap wood is almost white and makes up about 40% of the bowl both inside and outside. I haven't measured it yet but it wedges into the bottom of a 5 gal bucket, probably 10" or so. Sorry to digress, now to the question before I digress again. Will the white sap wood change color significantly. I know it tends to darken but I was also wondering if the DNA would have any effect on retarding or speeding up the darkening process?

I am hoping that someone has some experience with green walnut and DNA. Anyone?

jared herbert
01-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I have had pieces of walnut like this. My experience was that if the dna has been used on a lot of walnut it will take on a very dark color and stain the sap wood darker. I have two separate tubs of dna, one reserved for use on walnut and the other for lighter colored woods. It seems like the sapwood always turns somewhat darker over time. Jared

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2011, 11:52 PM
James I don't think the DNA will make it change colors. I have some DNA that is almost black from soaking walnut and I put maple, birch, cottonwood or poplar in it. It has never turned them brown. I don't know if it was the DNA but guessing it was the finish that turned my sap wood to a light amber color.

Clarence Miller
01-02-2011, 1:43 AM
I'm pleading ignorance on the term DNA (other than the common usage of protein molecules and amino acids). Could someone enlighten me?

Don Alexander
01-02-2011, 5:02 AM
denatured alcohol :)

James Combs
01-02-2011, 1:45 PM
I'm pleading ignorance on the term DNA (other than the common usage of protein molecules and amino acids). Could someone enlighten me?

DNA = DeNatured Alcohol. Some of us use it to speed dry green/wet wood. It can reduce drying/seasoning time from years to weeks or even days fro small parts. Google the web or search this site for "DNA Drying".

Clarence Miller
01-03-2011, 7:00 AM
I live in farm country, where technology is allowing for the recombinant DNA in corn and soybeans for insect and herbicide resistance is being used. When I first saw the term I thought perhaps biologists were doing the same to combat ash borers, powder post beetles and the like. Then it showed up in a post about color change and I thought that the turn around from seed to lumber was way too fast for reality and knew my theory was off.
Thanks for setting me straight, I may just have to try the DNA drying thing.