PDA

View Full Version : "Taken Flight"

Roger Chandler
01-01-2011, 10:34 PM
This is a bowl I did for a center piece to put a flower arrangement in, made out of wild cherry, back in March of 2010. I have never posted it, but have gotten a lot of comments on it from those who have seen it.

I named it "Taken Flight" because when I went to finish off the bottom, I could not keep it in place and it flew off the cole jaws 3 times on me. It has a small rim on the top and it would not hold. I finally taped the thing on the cole jaws, but even then it would wobble, so I did not get the best finishing off the bottom that I would have liked......it has some roughness on the bottom, and the rim chipped out on me as well.

It has an interesting shape........outside stepped down to the bottom, and inside stepped also, but I did a concave step down, to add visual interest. I left it a bit on the heavy side on purpose so as to give it some stability to counterbalance a top heavy flower arrangement. I set it aside and forgot about it till the other day.........thought I would post it now. Also, as time has passed, it has had a little movement in the rim area.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Roger that is a nice looking bowl. It definitely has a different form.

Roger Chandler
01-02-2011, 2:22 PM
Thanks Bernie, I don't see many "stepped" forms posted. Seems like most everyone goes for that continuous curve, but this one was to display flowers and needed visual interest, so at least in my mind the stepped feature was an appropriate way to go.

David E Keller
01-02-2011, 2:50 PM
It's an interesting shape, Roger. Do you have a photo of it in use?

Roger Chandler
01-02-2011, 3:08 PM
It's an interesting shape, Roger. Do you have a photo of it in use?

David,
Not yet. My wife does quite a bit of flower arranging, but after this one chipped the rim out when it flew on me 3 times, I have not given it to her as of yet, I guess I should, but I was pretty much bummed about it when it happened, but now I guess I should just embrace the flaws and all!

John Keeton
01-02-2011, 5:14 PM
Roger, it looks well designed for the intended purpose. Kind of an interesting form, actually! And, I can sure relate to the title - been there - a couple of times!