PDA

View Full Version : Russ Fairfield

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2011, 9:42 PM
Don't know if anyone has seen his website or has met or know Russ Fairfield but his website has a wealth of info. I found out some info today that is very sad. He had brain surgery where they removed a tumor which it turned out was cancerous earlier this last year I believe in October. They thought they had it all but did not want to touch the brain. He did get home and seemed to be doing well but had lost all his memory of woodturning.

Apparently the doctors have given the family a very grim prognosis in the last few days indicating that Russ has little time left to live. He's on a lot of medication and is reported to be reasonably free of pain. If you would like to visit, do it soon. Russ is still at the Life Care Center in Post Falls. Cards to his home should be address to 3075 Burgandy Trail, Post Falls, Idaho 83854.

I had never met him but have e-mailed back and forth several times with him with questions and he would always be there to help. I have been to his site and read almost everything he has written there especially his Finishing Secrets.

Ken Hill
01-01-2011, 9:43 PM
That is a shame:( I have been refered to his writtings since day one and follow many of his finishing techniques.

I will pray for him and his family

Jim Underwood
01-01-2011, 9:44 PM
Ah no...

That's really sad.

Thanks for letting us know Bernie.

Richard Madden
01-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Really sorry to hear this. I never met Russ, but I frequently referred to his site for tips on finishing and making pocket watches. Thanks for letting us know, Bernie. Russ and his family will be in my prayers.

Ron McKinley
01-01-2011, 10:06 PM
The turning world has lost a Giant if his memory of turning is gone. Very sad. We all pray that he will survive and recover his health and memory.....Ron

Michael James
01-01-2011, 10:29 PM
I pray for his family and that his suffering ends quickly.

Ron Stadler
01-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I took a look at his site Bernie and recall looking at it before, what a shame, he sure was a good turner. We will pray for him and his family.

Dick Mahany
01-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I just visited Russ's page today to look at his many great teachings, then heard this sad news. He has so much wisdom to share and has passed on so many lessons for which I'll be thankful. I wish Russ and his family the best. Thank you Russ.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Like so many of us, I too learned so much from Russ's website. Thank you for putting this information on the forum, Bernie, and godspeed to Russ.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Bernie, thanks for letting us know. Heart felt prayers have been sent to Russ and his family.

I have never met Russ but have always considered him to be a prime example of the way a turner should be. His sharing of what he knew about turning helped us all and I will always be thankful.

May God bless him and watch over him and his family.

Matt Ranum
01-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I've gone to his site many many times for inspiration & education. Went through 2 brain tumor surgeries with my FIL in the past 3 years, thank God every day that his were not cancerous. My thoughts and prayers go out to Russ and his family.

Mark Eisen
01-02-2011, 5:22 AM
I am sorry to hear this. I have been to his site a number of times.

Lee Koepke
01-02-2011, 9:34 AM
Wow.
I actually stumbled onto his site this past week doing a search for some finishing techniques. I found his story fascinating and his work amazing. My thoughts will be with him and his family.

Chris Stolicky
01-02-2011, 9:37 AM
It is certainly sad to hear this.

Pete Jordan
01-02-2011, 9:50 AM
Thanks for sharing Bernie.

I have three of his finishing DVDs and they are a wealth of knowledge. He is such a down to earth man!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-02-2011, 9:54 AM
I hope his family knows he has lots of fans praying for the best.
faust

bob svoboda
01-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Very sad to hear. I enjoy visiting his site for the great information and common sense advice. Thanks for the information, Bernie. Thoughts and prayers with Russ and his family and friends.

Allan Ferguson
01-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I have met him in Spokane, a nice man and always helpful.

Alan Trout
01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
I had a very good friend die from a very similar condition. It is a horrible thing to have happen. My prayers and best wishes are with Russ and his family.

Alan

Don Orr
01-02-2011, 8:51 PM
Russ is definitley one of the greats. I had the pleasure of meeting him several years ago and he is just one of the nicest guys there is. He has been so generous with his vast knowledge. I am very sad to hear such grim news. He will be greatly missed.

I hope his last days are peaceful and in the company of his family.

Rick Markham
01-02-2011, 11:51 PM
That is terribly sad! I spent the better part of 3 hours reading his website, after this post. Lots of great information, it's really a shame he lost his memory of the thing he loved. Prayers for his family and for a "miracle" recovery for him, or a gentle ease into the night amongst family and loved ones. I really enjoy looking at Russ's gallery, his multiple axis finials really got my attention, I would have to say they suit my tastes to a T! Anyone who hasn't seen them definitely needs to take a look! The amount of information on his website is definitely priceless, I can tell he has a good heart, and a great sense of humor as well.

John Keeton
01-03-2011, 7:19 AM
We can pray that his days are painless, and that God will use him to bless others still, though in a different way. It would be a shame for the website to go down, as this is a tremendous legacy for his fellow turners.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2011, 8:11 AM
May his final days be painless and peaceful. May he be enveloped in the love of his family and friends. He generously shared his knowledge with a lot of beginning turners. He will be missed.

John Altberg
01-03-2011, 10:10 AM
I visited Russ a few weeks ago at the nursing home just a few days after his 75th birthday. We talked about the articles he was writing, the demos he had planned for 2011 and the things that he wanted to turn once he re-gained his memory. He referred to all of the "old folks" there marking time and just waiting to die. Russ was doing neither. It is so frustrating to watch and wait for the inevitable, but, sadly, we all must meet our end. Unfortunately, for many, it is before their time. Russ still had so much to give. In fact he told me, with a twinkle in his eye, "Heck, I am just getting famous as a woodturner!"

Linda Persoon
01-03-2011, 11:11 AM
I have had the good fortune to have been one of Russ Fairfield’s more recent students. I took my first class, Beginning Bowl Making, from Russ at the Woodcraft store in Spokane Valley, WA a couple of years ago. At the time I didn’t even own a lathe or any turning tools. I immediately was “hooked” on turning.

Russ has been a great teacher. As others have said, Russ is a down to earth man. His demonstrations and oversight while students turned were most helpful. I didn’t know until after some classes that Russ has pieces in galleries or that he had written a volume of information on his web site. I just knew of his enthusiasm to teach and share.

The following photo is some items I made in Russ’s classes for Christmas decorations and goblets. I didn’t put a finish any of the items, but spent class time practicing as many techniques as possible. I had only turned utility bowls before taking this class. But I was very pleased with the results and very thankful to have learned from Russ.

My thoughts and prayers are with Russ and his family now.

Thank you Russ!