PDA

View Full Version : Back in the shop

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-01-2011, 7:28 PM
I had carpal tunnel surgery a week ago last Wednesday. I went back in the shop with "careful" use of my hand yesterday. I'm not doing anything to stress it and using it has helped a lot. I rough turned a couple cherry bowls but kept my hand wrapped and used a leather glove for a bit of grip. My hand let me know when it was time to stop. The surgery was not a big deal and the recovery is fairly fast. I'm telling you this because I waited too long to get the numbness in my fingers diagnosed and I now have some permanent loss of sensation in my finger tips. I didn't ignore the hand falling asleep and causing me sleepless nights, I just figured it was from my arm position when I slept. You guys all work with your hands, just like I have done for a long time. I don't know what causes carpal tunnel but they refer to it as a repetitive motion injury. Don't mess with it if you think you have the symptoms. My right hand feels like I have leather finger tips. The problem is "far from the heart" but there is no reason to let it happen to you. If your hand falls asleep when doing things like driving, or typing or sleeping, ask your doctor to check you for carpal tunnel. The fix is way easier than living with it.
Happy New Year to all.
faust

John Keeton
01-01-2011, 7:30 PM
Faust, they have come so far with this surgery. I can recall 20 years ago, it was horrendous, and the outcome was not very predictable. Glad you are doing well, and good advice for others.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2011, 7:33 PM
Glad to hear that you are healing nicely. Just don't rush it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2011, 7:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up Faust! Hope you heal quickly!

Ken Hill
01-01-2011, 8:30 PM
Deffinatley heal upa nd don't push things! My eyesight is first on my list, then my back and finally the hands.

David E Keller
01-01-2011, 8:36 PM
Congrats on getting it taken care of, Faust. Don't give up on improvement in your sensation... The ultimate nerve recovery can be several years post op.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-02-2011, 9:52 AM
Doc,
Thanks for that encouraging thought. It would be nice to feel things normally again. The good news is I have discovered how easy it is to become ambidextrous when necessary. Maybe my left hand turning will even improve.
faust

Rick Markham
01-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Faust, my doctor and I have kept a close eye on my hands for about the last ten years. When I became a chef, the repetitive motion of jockeying saute pans gave me a whole lot of the same sensations you described, I wore a wrist brace for about a year to "correct" my improper movement that was aggravating it. Eventually my brain "learned" to do things the "right" way. The symptoms disappeared and feeling returned over time. (took awhile) about 10 years later I became a "meat cutter" (butcher for a meat packing plant) using a meat hook for hours a day and using substantial force on that wrist eventually caused the symptoms to return, so I wore a brace again. Once again my brain relearned and the symptoms left and I didn't have to wear the brace anymore. Shortly after that I decided though the job paid well, the toll on my body wasn't worth it, so I retired from the company and went back to school. I feel your pain entirely, I got lucky and everything is returned to normal, including all of my sensation in my fingers. It's a pretty scary thing when you pick up a glass to get a drink of water and it just slides out of your hands!

It's something I am always conscious of when working with my hands, mine seems to be truly caused by "improper repetitive" motions, so I try my best to consciously avoid doing movements that i know "aggravate" mine. I hope you get well very soon, and I hope your hands stop feeling like your wearing welders gloves! I wish you a speedy recovery!!! Your right, it isn't anything to be trifled with!

Dennis Simmons
01-02-2011, 5:14 PM
Thank you for this post. I will go see my doctor SAP. I have the same problems you describe, I thought it was because, I type with two fingers :P. I pray that you will have a full recovery. I'm happy that, you are back in the shop!!

Rich Aldrich
01-02-2011, 5:41 PM
Faust - glad to hear your recovery is going well.