PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Wobble

Nate Davey
01-01-2011, 4:38 PM
I have a Jet 1642 that is about 15 years old. I noticed I had a significant wobble in my G3 yesterday. I removed the chuck from the insert and it had a slight wobble, removed the insert and didn't see any wobble in the spindle. I then, put on the faceplate that came with the lathe and it had a slight wobble, so that tells me it's the spindle.

I just did a bearing replacement and thought I might have done something wrong there, so took all apart, cleaned it and reinstalled. Still had a wobble in the face plate. Next, I took it apart and put the original bearing back in, but now change to the wobble.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2011, 5:23 PM
removed the insert and didn't see any wobble in the spindle.

Nate - if you don't have any wobble in the spindle - then look at what your faceplate or chuck are seating up against. Normally they sit tight against the face of the spindle - so make sure nothing is preventing them from fully seating. I know some folks use a nylon washer on their spindles in order to prevent the chuck from getting so tight that it is hard to remove. Do you use a washer? If so - it could have distorted through use over time.

Nate Davey
01-01-2011, 5:26 PM
Thanks Steve. I don't use a washer, but need to check if everything is sitting flush. My thoughts on not "seeing" wobble at the spindle was, being that close to the bearing it may be very minor, but as you move away from the spindle it will magnify. I think I will invest in a run out checker thingy, can't think of the name right now, but will check that I'm flush to the spindle.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2011, 5:30 PM
There are lots of options when it comes to dial indicators. Here's one: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10897

Other thing is - if you have a bum thread - use a small file to clean it up.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2011, 6:42 PM
Nate,

Here's one I bought recently and you get a dial caliper and dial indicator with a magnetic base. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Magnetic-Base-Dial-Indicator-Caliper-Combo-pk-/H3022

John Fabre
01-01-2011, 7:40 PM
I had the same problem, my Jet 1642 was eight years old and it turned out to be a warped spindle. I thought I crossed threaded my insert or a bad chuck, not the case. Do you turn heavy or uneven wood?

Good luck.

Nate Davey
01-01-2011, 7:55 PM
Not really, plus it's pretty new and I've been deployed quite a bit. A guy on another site asked if I preloaded the bearings, so doing some internet research right now

Nate Davey
01-01-2011, 8:23 PM
Well, I went back out to check a couple of things. I put the face plate back on, brought my tool rest up and placed a pencil at one of the rings cut in the face of the face plate. There was no deviation from the ring. I then, put the insert and chuck back on and placed a sharpie only the side of the chuck and saw it was rubbing in one small area, which happened to be 180 degrees out from the insets set screw. I put it in and tightened it down and that took a good bit of wobble out but not all of it. I'm leaning towards the insert being junk but will verify all with the dial indicator Steve recommended, it was cheaper than the Grizzly and looks the same.

Josh Bowman
01-01-2011, 9:34 PM
Nate, Harbor Freight often has those things on sale along with some dandy magnetic stands. Good luck.

Bill Bauer
01-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Where did you get the Insert? A while back I bought a Nova chuck and insert as a package deal. The insert would only thread into the chuck about 1.5 turns. I called the vendors Customer service and they indicated they "may" have gotten some bad inserts. They sent out a new insert that fit like a charm. Interesting side note, the original insert came in a plastic baggie, the replacement came in a nice Technatool box. Made me think that the reseller had some cheaply made inserts they were using to drive the profits up!! The second insert seemed to be a better machined insert.

Bill

Nate Davey
01-06-2011, 6:07 PM
Well, my dial indicator came in the mail today and it is definitely the insert. The spindle barely gets the needle to wobble and the insert causes significant movement. I've already ordered some Techna inserts.

Bill,

This insert came as your's, in a plastic bag.

Jim Underwood
01-06-2011, 7:37 PM
that plastic bag sounds a bit fishy...