PDA

View Full Version : I tried 3 new techniques to make this and they all worked!!

keith micinski
01-01-2011, 3:21 PM
I have really wanted to start stretching my limits so I thought I would break the bandsaw out for the first time and try doing some curves. Then I thought while I am at it I may as well try and throw some angles in and make the Mortice and tenons way more difficult. Finally I thought, even though I have never done any carving before, what the heck, may as well throw that into to. The carving could have turned out a little better but everything else turned out really well. It might just be me but anymore every project I do eclipses the last one by leaps and bounds. Unfortunately I think I am getting ready to top out on my talent and skill level so that may soon come to an end. Of course then I will be able to use that as an excuse to get some really nice tool to hide my deficiencies.

keith micinski
01-01-2011, 3:26 PM
One thing I do regret is that my bandsaw wasn't big enough to allow me to curve the bottom of the feet like I wanted. I think they feel a little to thick and blocky compared to the rest of the piece. I bought a small draw knife to round the end of the feet over but am considering buying a larger one so that I can remove a little material out of the top of the foot up towards the base and a little bit out from the bottom of the foot out near the end.

Andrew Schlosser
01-02-2011, 11:49 AM
that's a really cool design, with the vertical member angling out over the legs. If you counterbored some holes, you could epoxy some lead shot in there (changing the center of gravity) and further angle the vertical piece. Next time! I agree, the legs seem a bit big and long for the rest of the piece.

keith micinski
01-03-2011, 5:26 PM
Here it is in place with the TV on it. Part of the reason the feet have to be that big is to make sure I had a good footprint for the tv. I just wish I would have been able to add a little more curve to them to remove some of the bulkiness while still maintaining the foot print.