PDA

View Full Version : War and Peace - an unsettled time!

John Keeton
01-01-2011, 3:03 PM
Bet you thought I had switched to writing novels!!

Another in my SW experiments - though Steve S. feels it has some African influence, too. May be - Lord knows, I am not bound much by rigid adherence to style!!

Claro Walnut and Silver Maple, this piece is 7.25" X 5.5". The beading is 1/8". It is hollow to about 3/16" for most of the form. Portions of the walnut are thinner, but the maple needs a little extra for the beading and the rim.

The icons tell of an unsettled time of peace interspersed with war. The diamonds represent peace, but the cross in the middle indicates division, as does the failure of the "peace icons" to interconnect continuously around the form. The darker hourglass "negative" shape between the diamonds, representing periods of war, breaks the chain of peace.

This is it for 2010!! The shop is clean, there is nothing on the lathe...but, I do have a chunk of burl on the workbench and I am pondering its future!

Hope each of you is enjoying the day, and during commercials, you are thinking of your next turning!

Ken Hill
01-01-2011, 3:07 PM
1st, looks great as usual.

2nd, aren't Diamonds an icon of war not peace? Blood Diamonds-the war in the diamond producing areas over the diamond rights/mines? Waring tribes and all that.

3rd, I like it!

David DeCristoforo
01-01-2011, 3:07 PM
Whatever the icons represent, you hit the bull's eye with this one. It really flows nicely from the lower form into the beaded neck. I thought the neck on the last one (or was that the first one?) was too tall but looking at this one I realize that it was too narrow. This has much better proportions. Nice work!

Jim Burr
01-01-2011, 3:10 PM
Maybe it's origins are of Atlantis and Eden! Whatever the case, I really like it...ink and walnut match up well. Great job Mr Keeton!

Scott Hackler
01-01-2011, 3:12 PM
I like this one A LOT better than the last beaded form. This is really neat and turned out well. Out of curiousity, did you think about randomly staggering the break lines in the beads, before going with straight lines? I would like to see a more random pattern WHEN you do the next beaded form! Great job.

John Keeton
01-01-2011, 3:29 PM
Thanks, guys! I like this one more than the other, but the other peace sold quickly - so, who knows?!?

Ken, my knowledge of icons/glyphs is limited to the book I have on the interpretation of the prehistoric pottery icons of the White Mountains of Arizona. It is pretty exhaustive, but is limited to that area, and surrounding pueblos, etc.

Scott, this whole beaded/basket thing started with the Jim Adkins demo at our club. I have looked at the work of others, as well. Jim does his to mimic woven basketry, and the "windings" are rather random. The first piece I did was like that. Others have gone for the beaded look, with alignment of the "beads" and that was what I was after here. I am very certain there will be more of these, and in the process, probably some of both. It does give a different look.

I can say that doing the 1/8" beading is more difficult - both in the dye work, and in the eyesight arena! Really lets me know how old I am. And, as I suspected, doing the beading on a curved surface is very different than on a cylinder. The main reason the first piece had a straight neck was to simplify the project to learn on. I should have done a practice piece with a curved surface, as the beading on this one is not quite as clean as I would have liked. But, there has to be a first sometime!

Ron Stadler
01-01-2011, 3:33 PM
Beautiful work John, like the little story behind it. The form is quite different than what I have seen lately but I do like it.:)

Richard Madden
01-01-2011, 3:33 PM
Looks good, John. I can see you progressing with this compared with the first one. And I really liked that first one too. What method are you using to establish the burn lines? An index wheel, or what?

Roger Chandler
01-01-2011, 3:50 PM
It is official! I am hereby declaring John Keeton's creative space no longer to be called a "shop" it is an "artist's studio" [with former memories of flatwork that are like spirits standing by in observation of the new focus and passion the creator of these works now gives the attention they once got in a former time]

Really nice work John..........gee, you certainly have had the creative juices going and have been busy during these last couple or so weeks! Congratulations on some extraordinary turnings!

Doug W Swanson
01-01-2011, 3:58 PM
John,
You continue to amaze me with all of the different arts you are mastering. Either you are just showing us your top pieces and you are hiding the clunkers or you can pull off a top-notch piece every time. You certainly have the 'eye' to add a little extra something to make each piece that much better....

Amazing work once again!

Michael James
01-01-2011, 4:03 PM
Off and running! Very nice, again........ I can see the African reference, almost like a djembe. Not sure of the image interpretaions as I dont have the book and dont know what that tribe was chewing for sacrament. I suspect 98% of the people that see this won't either. This is definitely working John, thanks for sharing!
Michael

Curt Fuller
01-01-2011, 4:13 PM
John, what can I say, this is just fantastic!

Paul Douglass
01-01-2011, 4:22 PM
Got to say that is my favorite of all you have done John. The fancy ones with the fancy finials are no doubt beautiful, but just not something I would strive to produce. But this, this is what I'd like to be able to do. It his just more my kind of art. Congrats and such a beautiful piece.

Ray Bell
01-01-2011, 4:39 PM
You continue to amaze me John. This is beautiful.

gary Zimmel
01-01-2011, 4:40 PM
Now this one really catches my eye. I look forward to the ever evolving creations from the Keeton Kitchen.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-01-2011, 4:48 PM
John, I lust for more information on how you did the beading. Do you have a tool to do the circular beading, then cut the verticals with a skew?Do you color it with a brush? I have begun to do hollowing and would like to do something similar to your beading. Help. please. Max

John Keeton
01-01-2011, 4:50 PM
Can't believe so many of you all are NOT watching football!! I thought I was the only guy that didn't watch sports. Thanks, for the additional comments!

Either you are just showing us your top pieces and you are hiding the clunkers...
Thanks, Doug! I keep a separate pic folder for each piece, and number the folders - I no longer number the pieces. Aside from some Christmas pot pourri pots, and a couple of special/commission pieces I did, this was #60 since I started doing bowls/forms. I think you guys have seen them all - the good, the bad, and the ugly!!:o

...this is what I'd like to be able to do. It his just more my kind of art.Paul, these pieces are what I call my "fireside work." After it is turned, and the beading cut, I sit in the great room, with a fire going, Ms. Keeton watching TV, and just me, my woodburner, and dye pens! Kind of theraputic, in a way.:)

Matt Ranum
01-01-2011, 4:58 PM
Man what a journey you have taken John. From, "I only want to turn some table legs", to this! Outstanding and all in basically a year! You are indeed an inspiration to many of us.

John Keeton
01-01-2011, 5:00 PM
John, I lust for more information on how you did the beading. Do you have a tool to do the circular beading, then cut the verticals with a skew?Do you color it with a brush? I have begun to do hollowing and would like to do something similar to your beading. Help. please. MaxMax, the beading is cut with a D-Way beading tool. This is the thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153824-A-little-beading-tool-gloat!!&p=1586446#post1586446) where I gloated on getting them. I mark lines with the indexing and tool rest - in my case, 24 of them. I extend the lines past the beaded area for reference later in doing the icons.

The vertical lines are burned with an inverted fish scale tip on a woodburner. This is the post (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?154128-All-things-Pyro-let-s-talk!-(Richard-Madden-and-Donny-Lawson!)&p=1585380#post1585380) with a pic of the tip - hope this link works OK. That tip is much larger, but the one I used is 1/8". DetailMaster actually is making a specific tip for this work, now. I intend on getting those.

I use Copic dye pens to do the dye work. PM me with your email and I will send you some info.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2011, 5:07 PM
John,

Wow - what a difference a little beading makes! Totally transforms the piece from when I first saw it! If you remember - I commented saying that it had an African influence - well, it did to me at the time because the uncolored beads and the rich dark color of the wood reminded me of African neck rings. For anyone not familiar with neck rings - Google has lots of photos!

Really like the beading on this and how it tells a story! Most times I just see pretty designs - never thought they could actually mean something! Duh!

Just wanted to say - Beautiful work - once again - and I seriously look forward to seeing where your imagination takes you!

Have fun!!

David DeCristoforo
01-01-2011, 5:10 PM
"Can't believe so many of you all are NOT watching football!! I thought I was the only guy that didn't watch sports."

No... actually there are a number of us although we don't like to reveal ourselves without first verifying that those to whom we do reveal ourselves are not the "wrong types". Some of "them" just don't "get it"! It's even more difficult if you don't drink beer. Can't just go around broadcasting something like that. The idea that one would prefer to spend time making wooden flowers or cute little pots to something as all American as swilling beer and yelling at the TV as if the people pictured on it could actually hear you... well that just drives some people crazy mad!

Nate Davey
01-01-2011, 5:22 PM
Don't drink or watch sport either. Can't stand watching people play a game and get paid like that. Another great job John, educating as well as creating art.

David Warkentin
01-01-2011, 6:29 PM
Beautiful work. As usual.:D David

David E Keller
01-01-2011, 6:38 PM
I like this piece. The color combination of the beads with the warm tone of the walnut makes for a great look.

I have to admit that I rarely identify with the artistic descriptions given for turnings, paintings, or sculptures... For some reason, the descriptions are a bit of a turn off. I think it may be that I feel inhibited when trying to form my own ideas about a piece when the artist has told me what I'm supposed to see/feel. I still enjoy looking at beautiful things, but I generally pass on the descriptions/inspirations.

Rick Markham
01-01-2011, 6:41 PM
Great work John, I really like these beaded SW forms your making. I agree with David D, the proportions of the neck on this one are much more pleasing to the eye. I'm sure learning on the straight neck was a step in the right direction, and definitely paid off on the first one, and has now evolved nicely on this curved neck one. The beads look pretty clean from the pics, I guess there is always room for "improvement"... practice practice. Gorgeous work John!

Fred Belknap
01-01-2011, 6:53 PM
Great beaded bowl. Very well executed.:)

John Keeton
01-01-2011, 7:28 PM
I like this piece. The color combination of the beads with the warm tone of the walnut makes for a great look.

I have to admit that I rarely identify with the artistic descriptions given for turnings, paintings, or sculptures... For some reason, the descriptions are a bit of a turn off. I think it may be that I feel inhibited when trying to form my own ideas about a piece when the artist has told me what I'm supposed to see/feel. I still enjoy looking at beautiful things, but I generally pass on the descriptions/inspirations.Thanks, David! I am sure you are right on the description/inspiration thing. In the case of these beaded/basket pieces, part of what has lured me is the symbolism. They were used to record history in their own way. I guess that is the part that interests me nearly as much as the form itself. Without the "interpretation" I guess we are still left with whether one simply likes the form and colors - and, that may be enough. Didn't mean to impose my inspiration or ideas - just trying to convey what I felt when I did the piece.

Glad you like it for what it is beyond the glyphs/icons!!:)

Harry Robinette
01-01-2011, 7:34 PM
John
Really nice John this looks like a effect that you have a really good hand on,they just keep getting better.
Harry

Ray Bell
01-01-2011, 8:14 PM
As to football, and turning, I love college football, but can't seem to stay out of the shop. This is probably the first year in a long time I haven't watched the Rose Bowl from start to finish, but I come in watch it for maybe five minutes, and then get the itch to get back out in the shop. Got to get a TV out there:) Again beautiful work John!

Roland Martin
01-01-2011, 8:20 PM
John, this is a very well done form to close out 2010. I'm looking forward to seeing your 2011 creations, as well as all Creekers & Creekers to be.

Jim Underwood
01-01-2011, 9:42 PM
Can't believe so many of you all are NOT watching football!! I thought I was the only guy that didn't watch sports.

Football? What's that?

You should seen my comment on that score here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155942-Is-it-Just-Me

I really like this piece John. I think the curved neck definitely works better...

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2011, 9:47 PM
John don't what to say but Wow and it is beautiful.

Frank Van Atta
01-01-2011, 9:49 PM
I really like this one; I think it's one of your best.

Tim Thiebaut
01-02-2011, 1:09 AM
I keep coming back and looking at this it is such a beautiful piece! John how did you prepare the wood to mate it together? Did you run each piece through a thickness planer to square up each face before glueing them together? And what type of glue do you use for this, is tightbond ok, or do you use Gorilla Glue or something else? Sorry for all of the questions, but I picked up a beautiful piece of Claro Walnut this morning and some very nice pieces of maple and want to try something that will really be a streach for myself.

John Keeton
01-02-2011, 7:46 AM
Tim, by all means, stretch your limits!! I guess that is why I try so many different things - some of them work, some not. But, on each one, I learn much. You can do this - it isn't a difficult project.

I started with a sketch, as I do most all of my turnings. The placement of juncture of the walnut and maple is important for the look you wish to achieve. So, you need to know beforehand, the thickness and approximate diameter of each piece.

The one critical element in something like this is getting the face of the walnut, and thus the glue joint with the maple, precisely perpendicular to the lathe axis. Otherwise, the beading will not be true, and you will have a bead with some walnut showing.

In this case, the maple was already surfaced on one side. I checked the flatness of that with a straight edge, and was satisfied. I cut it round on the bandsaw, marking the center on the surface opposite the flat side. I lightly roughed the glue surface with 150 paper on a block.

The Claro was cut round on the bandsaw, and about 1/2" larger than the finished diameter. I jammed it between the open jaws of my chuck, with a small piece of drawer liner for friction, and turned a tenon on the tailstock side. The piece was then chucked on the tenon, and generally shaped. It was "dished" out on the face that would receive the maple, leaving a flat glue shelf. It could be hollowed at this point, and in hindsight, that may have been easier. I have done that with other turnings, but because the mouth of this piece was so large, hollowing later was not that difficult.

The maple was "clamped" against the Claro, using Titebond, and the center point for positioning.

Let me know how this goes for you!

Tim Thiebaut
01-02-2011, 8:08 AM
Thanks John, once I finish the 2-3 projects I have going I may take a shot at this!

Clint Baxter
01-02-2011, 8:53 AM
Beautiful piece John. The designs remind me of a mosaic of tiles. Nice figuring in the claro but the top draws all the attention away.

Clint

John Keeton
01-02-2011, 8:59 AM
Thanks, Clint. Most all of the Claro I have is highly figured, and I actually tried to choose the least figured piece for this turning for the exact reason you stated. The beadwork is the feature of this one, and a more figured piece of Claro could have been distracting.

Lee Koepke
01-02-2011, 9:48 AM
i thought the same thing about the Walnut. You make good choices and I like the 'story' behind it. A look forward to the day that my skills catch up with MY visions. Very nice work (again) John.

Bill Bolen
01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
John it has been interesting watching your journey from table legs on a harbour freight "greenie" to where you are today. The Artist in you has really come to the fore front. Another beautiful and imaginative piece. You offer inspiration to all of us. Happy new year...Bill...

charlie knighton
01-02-2011, 6:57 PM
John, great piece, i will look forward to seeing your 10th beading piece, the non-burl walnut with the maple works great, the form is flowing, the black and red works well

John Keeton
01-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Bill, Lee and Charlie - thanks for the comments!! And, Charlie, I really appreciate your input - this is an interesting series for me, and I hope to do a few more of them along the way.

Baxter Smith
01-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Very appealing look John. The curved beading and colors make it very intersting to look at and are a nice contrast to the subtle beauty of this particular piece walnut!

steven carter
01-03-2011, 11:31 AM
I really like this one John! Perfect blend of the story telling glyphs, and also the symetry that I find appealing as we discussed on your earlier piece. I like the wider spout also.

Dale Bright
01-03-2011, 4:56 PM
John,

I really like this one, it is very well done. I think it is a big improvement over the one you did with the straight neck. This one just has a very good flow to the shape and it really works with the embellished beading for the neck. The bottom works better for me over the other one that had the claro walnut. I was not sure what you were trying to accomplish by adding the walnut to the bottom, but your execution of the bottom was perfect.

You may have "lathe envy" when you see my posts but I have "patience envy" when I see what you have been doing. All of those little details would drive me crazy. I really apprciate your creative genius and the quality of all your turnings.

Dale

Cathy Schaewe
01-03-2011, 5:43 PM
I think this is certainly a more "earthy" design than the HFs with the finials, and for that reason it appeals to me more, personally. But boy, coloring (and cutting) those beads individually has got to be some finicky work! I agree with Steve S. about the "african" influence, even after the beads are cut, although I don't have the expertise to say why that is.

Keep it up!

Michelle Rich
01-03-2011, 8:19 PM
How the heck did i miss this? The shape is divine & the neck is just super. Very appealing piece

John Keeton
01-03-2011, 8:40 PM
You all are just too kind!!! And, having Cathy and Michelle jump in just makes it all the more special!:) Thanks.