PDA

View Full Version : a gloat I think

jared herbert
01-01-2011, 2:53 PM
I finally got around to getting this machine out and getting it tuned up and useable. I bought it a couple of years ago from the estate of a local old time german cabinet maker that had died. I had to get some new chisels and bits for it as the couple that came with it were burnt bad. I got them on ebay for what I thought was a reasonable price. The first time I used it I didnt really know what I was doing. I just got it out again and spent some more time getting it tuned up right and I really like how it works. ONe nice feature is the foot pedal, you can see it in the first picture, that advances the chisel. If you are coordinated enough you can use both hands to hold your work and use your foot to do the cutting. By the way, I paid $125 for it. Jared

jared herbert
01-01-2011, 3:05 PM
I am trying to add another picture but so far something is not working for me. anyway the machine came with a real nice homemade auxilliary fence that clamps on to the metal table. It works good. When I first bought this thing I was going to convert it to a drill press with a foot operator but I have decided to leave it as a mortise machine now, after I have used it and gotten used to it. Jared175913

Chip Lindley
01-01-2011, 3:16 PM
Jared, it IS a drill press. A good ol' Delta DP-220 drill press complete with it's mortising attachment, to be exZact! The mortise attachment can be removed from the quill and the machine can be used as a regular DP. There's no doubt you surely got your money's worth on that one! Looks like all you need to complete your rig is one of those Delta "retirement lamps" to light the way. Expensive little Boogers!

Show that one to the boys at OWWM.org and they'll go Nutz! And, they can clue you in on all it's in's and out's. At OWWM.com you can probably find a manual for it.

Here's a shot of one like yours restored :
http://estrategy.net/bill/website/tools/restorations/delta220drillpress/newdelta220full.JPG

Compare with yours :
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175904&d=1293911174

george wilson
01-01-2011, 3:29 PM
We had exactly that same model machine where I worked,pedal and all. I will warn you that the pedal is dangerous,because you can easily knock out a tooth if you don't watch out for the handle on the spindle when you let the pedal back up. I managed to clip myself a number of times on it. Lucky it hit my chin,and not a front tooth,

It is a good old drillpress,but I found the 2 handles to be inadequate when drilling deep holes: You can get hold of the next handle while using a 3 handle type,but you can't smoothly get hold of the 2nd. handle on this one. When trying to make a smooth transition to the next handle,you will find out what I mean. If I had that machine,,being also a machinist,I'd make a steel hub with 3 handles,and attach it to the machine.

I DO ADVISE removing that handle when using the pedal,and don't get lazy about it,or you could have a $4000.00 tooth implant to pay for.

jared herbert
01-01-2011, 3:35 PM
The old guy that originally owned this did a lot of re-engineering on things. The wooden fence slides on to some bars that were attached to the metal table. It is kind of cobbled up but it sure works good. There is a hold down that keeps the work from riding up when the quill is brought back up and it is made out of a bracket that looks like it originall was part of the foot operator. I also got a Walker Turner table saw from the same guys sale. It has a lot of extra features on it that are handmade. I had a little trouble figuring out the motor on the saw to start with. the tag on the motor said that it was a hp single phase motor but the cord and plug had 4 wires and prongs. turns out it was a single phase motor that had been rewound to a phase motor. Ah the good old days.Jared

jared herbert
01-01-2011, 3:38 PM
Thanks for the advice on the handle. It already has been replaced with piece of metal rod bent at a 90 degree angle. It doesnt appear to stick out far enough to hit me in the face. I guess I should probable take it off anyway as I dont use it. Jared