PDA

View Full Version : Brick

Scott Shepherd
01-01-2011, 1:35 PM
Finally got around to working on some samples today.

This is straight out of the laser. It's a clay brick. We've discussed bricks many times, but I don't recall seeing many photos so I thought I would add one to the mix.

Doug Griffith
01-01-2011, 1:40 PM
Most of our discussions were about how ridiculous it is that engraving on a brick is patented.

Larry Bratton
01-01-2011, 2:14 PM
Most of our discussions were about how ridiculous it is that engraving on a brick is patented.

hehehe..apparently Scott thinks so.

Dee Gallo
01-01-2011, 2:24 PM
I'm tellin'.... yeah right

Looks good, nice and solid :)

Scott Shepherd
01-01-2011, 2:30 PM
I'm not too worried, since the guy that told me how to do it came up with the method and he said there is no issue.

Robert Walters
01-01-2011, 3:07 PM
Steve,

Nice job!

Is the black I see from the laser, or filled with ___________?

Ross Lowry
01-01-2011, 3:09 PM
Seriously its patented?

Robert Walters
01-01-2011, 3:22 PM
Seriously its patented?

Yep, US Patent 6822192
Laser engraving of ceramic articles - Michael Joseph Young

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=VHURAAAAEBAJ&dq=6822192

Scott Shepherd
01-01-2011, 3:41 PM
Robert, no fill, that's right out of the laser.

Martin Boekers
01-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Seriously its patented?

Here we go again!:D

I'm taking this to be sarcastic, if not, do a quick search here for
patents and you will be amazed!

David Hyde
01-15-2011, 3:22 PM
First time post, but had to reply to this comment about a patent for lasering bricks. I'm not a trained attorney, but this patent looks way too specific for general application to the lasering of bricks.

Things I would questions as stated in the patent-
1) laser beam must not be less than .013 inches
2) method described is vector only - comments how raster does not provide their 'improved' method.
3) Specific mentioning of Corel Draw
4) Specific mentioning of ULS and even specfic machine model. (120 watts)
5) talks about improved engraving on ceramic articles, such as brick. I thought bricks are clay, not ceramic.
6) focal length of 4 inches.

My neighbor, although she does not own a laser, has contracted time to do laser engraving in jewelry beads. She found a patent supposedly protecting the means of laser engraving on jewelry beads and showed it to her lawyer. The lawyer ripped it apart saying it only protected the process with the specific criteria that it described. So she has proceeded to make and sell her jewelry and so far with no problems.

I think these types of patents are merely some individual's attempt to lay claim to using generalized technology for ridiculous financial gains. It would be like me making a patent for a better way to kill a person. 'Restrain them with something and use a metallic projectile of sufficient speed to go through the middle of their head.'

Sorry for my ranting; I just get ticked by such seemingly ridiculous claims to patent.

Dave Hyde
Lone Star Laser

Dan Hintz
01-15-2011, 4:33 PM
David,

That is essentially what a number of us concluded... the patent is there to scare people off, but if push were to come to shove, that patent wouldn't really play well in the courts.

Anthony Scira
01-15-2011, 8:43 PM
I am going to write a patent involving a chop saw and cutting wood into blocks. Wonder if it will fly......

I guess this did......

They someone holds a patent for a STICK......
http://www.google.com/patents?id=hhYJAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Stephen Maloney
01-19-2011, 4:44 AM
Scott, what settings did you use on that if you don't mind my asking?

Barb Macdonald
01-19-2011, 1:34 PM
That looks great, Scott! yes, please, settings?