PDA

View Full Version : food safe over boiled linseed oil???

chris ormsby
01-01-2011, 1:23 PM
Is there a product I can put over BLO that would bond and also be food safe? I have a bowl that has been reassigned to a food application if possible. it has a couple coats of BLO and I don't know what i can put over the top to be food safe. Thanks in advance.
Chris Ormsby

John Coloccia
01-01-2011, 1:56 PM
As far as I know, BLO is food safe when it's cured.

Jim Becker
01-01-2011, 5:12 PM
As far as I know, BLO is food safe when it's cured.

Exactly......

Bill Davis
01-01-2011, 5:47 PM
ALL finishes used on wood are food safe when fully cured.

Howard Acheson
01-01-2011, 6:15 PM
What has the bowl been used for previously?

As said, cured BLO is non-toxic but it can have a long term residual odor that may be imparted to food. Any finish you put over it will be non-toxic when cured. In general I don't recommend a film finish over any wooden item that will be subject to food. Film finishes generally do not last well and you will find it to begin to crack and peel. Film finishes also do not last when being washed frequently.

What type of "food application" do you envision? For general foods, I would recommend a mineral oil and either paraffin or beeswax treatment. Here are more details. It's aimed at butcher blocks or cutting boards but works well for any wooden item.

An excellent treatment for wooden food preparation surfaces like cutting boards and butcher blocks is a mixture of mineral oil and either paraffin or beeswax. This is what is used on many commercial wood surfaces. It will last longer and be more protective than just mineral oil. Mineral oil can be found in most supermarkets in the pharmacy section or in a true pharmacy. Paraffin is found in the canning section of the store or in a hardware store.

Heat the oil in a double boiler and shave in some wax. The exact proportions are not critical--a 5-6 parts of oil to one part of wax will work fine. Stir the mixture until all the wax is liquefied. Apply the mixture heavily and let it set 10-12 hours or overnight. Next day do it again and continue until the wood will no longer absorb the finish. Let it set for 10-12 hours and then lightly scrape off any excess. Then buff it with a rag.

Reapply whenever the wood begins to look dry.

Never put a wood board in the dishwasher and don't soak it in dishwater for long periods.

Steve Schoene
01-01-2011, 7:40 PM
The point made by Bob Flexner is that all generally available clear finishes are safe when fully cured. I don't think the same can be said for all finishes since pigments may have varying degrees of toxicity. Lead is banned, of course, and others limited (like cadmium--in part by expense) but some may be generally safe but fall short of food safe.