PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Narex Chisels offered at Lee Valley and Highland?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I received (as a gift from my wife, after I offhandedly mentioned it was a great deal) the set of Narex mortise chisels Lee Valley had on a sale; I've been really liking them, particularly for the price, and it's nice as a thick and heavy mortise chisels like that have been hard for me to find at my local rust-hunters haunts. (Although I did just run into a real old pig-sticker style chisel for a decent price, I just need to figure out if I can make a new handle for it) I was expecting something a little closer to a sash mortise chisel in style, but these were much thicker and had the slightly relieved (non-square) sides that help from getting stuck.

Anyway, I'm now thinking of picking up some of the other Narex chisels to fill out some holes in my ensemble I'm having trouble filling. (I've had real good luck finding decent paring chisels lately, but that's it.) I'm just curious, does anyone know if there's any difference between the Narex chisels offered at LV and Highland Woodworking, other than the obvious difference in color of the finish on the handle? I'll probably just order from wherever I find I need something from next, but I thought I'd ask, I hadn't found any info on this via a google search.

I only ask because I noticed the LV page for the mortise chisels said they were made to their specifications; although I'm looking more now at bevel edge bench chisels.

Andrew Gibson
01-01-2011, 12:40 PM
I believe that LV had some made in true Imperial measure, meaning that 1/2" is a true 1/2". The chisels at Highland are Metric sizes, so a 1/2" is actually something like 12mm.

Andrae Covington
01-01-2011, 1:34 PM
I believe that LV had some made in true Imperial measure, meaning that 1/2" is a true 1/2". The chisels at Highland are Metric sizes, so a 1/2" is actually something like 12mm.

Yes Rob Lee told us LV had Narex mortise chisels made to their specifications, including being true imperial sizes. However I'm pretty sure the Narex bevel-edge bench chisels they sell are the same as what Highland and other places sell, in terms of metric sizes and other technical details.

Andrew Gibson
01-01-2011, 1:38 PM
Good point Andrae, I was thinking only in terms of the Mortise chisels

Brian Kent
01-01-2011, 2:28 PM
Looks like both are metric sizes. Highland has sets of 4 or 8. Lee Valley has a set of 6. Lee Valley's handles won't roll off a bench. Highland has a mildly better price at the moment if the sizes are right for your needs.

Todd Hyman
01-01-2011, 3:53 PM
There was a previous thread about these when they first went on sale.

Georg Zudoff
01-02-2011, 3:44 PM
All Narex chisels, metric and imperial, are made by Narex plant in Czech Republik. Last summer I've bought some chisels from the local Narex dealer here in Ukrane, so I've had a long conversation regarding Narex products. That's why I can say that it will be no difference between LV and Highland, the steel quality must be the same.

glenn bradley
01-02-2011, 4:14 PM
Georg, what a great asset to have you as a member. Talk about straight from the horse's mouth. It would be hard to get a better read than that ;-)

Brian Kent
01-02-2011, 5:57 PM
George Zudoff, welcome!

I would love to hear more about woodworking in Ukraine.

Brian Kent

Joe A Faulkner
01-02-2011, 9:22 PM
FYI: Lee Valley is currently offering free shipping for orders placed from now thru 1/3/11.