PDA

View Full Version : Pics of a stupid mistake

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 9:49 PM
Okay creekers, at the behest of some on the other thread, who wanted to see pics of my hollowing through the sides of a vase, I am posting these pics...........however, our most omnipotent moderator, none other than his majesty Mr. Schlumpf, has suggested that other creekers make this a thread about turning mistakes, and post your pics as well.

I realize that with the expertise of people on this forum that many will have to go back literally years to find a picture of a mistake...........that being said, if you don't have your pics, then just tell your story!

On this thread pics are preferred, but we will accept that it happened even if you don't have the pics to prove it! I'll start with this vase:

Thom Sturgill
12-31-2010, 10:00 PM
I have a nice mortar and pestle that started out with a similar shape. The blowout was while undercutting the rim, so it was still tall enough to save. I also have had blowouts turning ornament globes. I need to revisit the foot. This was made during a week long course.

Lee Koepke
12-31-2010, 10:02 PM
So it changed from a Vase to a Chalice!

I haven't turned enough yet to consider anything a 'mistake' yet (haha).

Michael James
12-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Ok..this is easy! I used this pic as an avatar a couple of months ago. So cold and windy they are actually in flames..not all at once. What a great way to end the yr, eh?
Happy New Yr everybody and here's to a prosperous and joyful 2011!:cool:

John Coloccia
12-31-2010, 10:18 PM
I wish I had a good source for cork to plug all the holes I have in the bottoms of my projects. LOL. Mine pretty much immediately get used as kindling.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2010, 10:19 PM
I blew up what I hoped was going to be a real nice hollow form (because I didn’t remove my hand-held hollowing tool before reaching around the steady rest to shut off the lathe :eek: ) At that point I decided it was time to install a remote on/off switch.

175820 175821

Build the remote switch and have used it every day since!!! :D

Nate Davey
12-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Here is mine. Fortuitous timing Roger. Had a lapse in concentration, was already putting this on the shelf in my mind and blew the rim off.175822

gary Zimmel
12-31-2010, 11:06 PM
Heres just a couple of mine....

A little HF that got a little thin in the wall.

And a burl goblet that again was getting a bit thin and decided to start to crack.

And a Happy New Year to the Turners on the Creek!

Linda Persoon
12-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Here's my attempt at using a bowl saver: a lamp shade on 2 different blanks. Ugh:( And then I didn't notice until much later that at least one of the bowls was too thin at the bottom:confused:

Happy New Year, Creekers and my all your turnings be salvaged;)

Allen stagg
12-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Obvious of what happened. It was a little thinner than I thought it was until I hollowed out more than I should have. Oops, it makes me sick when something like this happens.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Hey guys & gals,

I feel your pain! Keep 'em coming because we can all learn from one another!

Jeff Rich
01-01-2011, 7:14 AM
I feel everyone's pain!
This little apple form was destined to go in the barbecue pit.175836

Bill Bulloch
01-01-2011, 7:54 AM
Because of my great turning skills and fine tool techniques I have never hand a problem like that. As-a-matter-of-fact I don't even own any sand paper. My turnings are so smooth that I go straight from the lathe to the finish -- no need for sanding. I also know aikido, karate, judo, tae kwon do and seven other japanese words. Happy New Year

Fred Perreault
01-01-2011, 9:33 AM
I have had numerous examples exposing inexperience, haste or such. I saved them all right near my lathe, but when folks come by to visit my shop, they all wanna' leave with something. Many adults look at these examples of various disasters as "unique", or "cute", and kids want them for their stuff. Whatever, I gave away my last few pieces this past Christmas. (they were holding my loose screws, allen keys, etc.)
I do believe that there will be more, though. :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2011, 10:42 AM
I am like Fred. I keep several funnels and various failures right beside the lathe just to remind me of that one last cut.:mad:

David DeCristoforo
01-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I simply could not resist making a contribution to this delightful thread! Some of you may remember my posting pics of this in progress back in July. It was right after I got my JN steady and was the first tall "hollow form" I attempted. At this point, it was going fairly well:

But then... there was an "unfortunate event" similar to the one Steve described and the thin walls... well, anyway, this sits on top of my toolbox as a reminder...

Marc Himes
01-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I have had many, often just when I am about to remove that last little nubbin on the foot or lid when using the tail stock to support that final cut. One little catch and there it goes. Of course there is always the problem of going through the bottom or the side, been there, done that a bunch. As one of our club members says, its never good when the inside diameter exceeds the outside diameter.

But Bill; you take the cake. Happy New year to all of you on the Creek. May the joy you find in turning spill over into the rest of your lives as well.

Marc Himes

Roger Chandler
01-01-2011, 1:49 PM
David DeCristoforo,

That one was a tragedy for sure! Such a beautiful piece of wood, and already had a contrasting collar on it too. That one is a heart breaker! :eek::(

That was going to be one nice turning!

Ron Stadler
01-01-2011, 2:01 PM
Here is mine. Fortuitous timing Roger. Had a lapse in concentration, was already putting this on the shelf in my mind and blew the rim off.175822

What a shame Nate, that sure was gonna be a nice looking piece.

Ron Stadler
01-01-2011, 2:06 PM
I simply could not resist making a contribution to this delightful thread! Some of you may remember my posting pics of this in progress back in July. It was right after I got my JN steady and was the first tall "hollow form" I attempted. At this point, it was going fairly well:

But then... there was an "unfortunate event" similar to the one Steve described and the thin walls... well, anyway, this sits on top of my toolbox as a reminder...

Ouch, bet you were pretty upset with that, was looking really good.

Ron Stadler
01-01-2011, 2:35 PM
Ok here's my last mistake done here just recently. Have been playing around with the traditional grind on my bowls now to finish out the bottom and well sure does help to take measurements once in a while. Had this one flipped around and had the tennon removed and started sanding with 100 grit when much to my surprise I stuck my finger right through it:eek:. I decided to part the bad area off and hopefully use this for another project maybe.

bob svoboda
01-01-2011, 2:40 PM
175899175898For those of you who have seldom (or never, Bill) had this sort of thing happen, you are definitely not my my league! I have had several bonfires, weenie roasts and warm evenings by the fire using my boneheaded mistakes. This is the latest. I was in a hurry and when measuring and carefully marking for depth, did not notice the nubbin I had left on the inside bottom. When I reversed and was forming the outside bottom, all of a sudden my vacuum chuck system sucked the bottom out of the form :mad:. Ah, well, I kind of feel like a hot dog for lunch anyway:D

Ron Stadler
01-01-2011, 2:46 PM
175899175898For those of you who have seldom (or never, Bill) had this sort of thing happen, you are definitely not my my league! I have had several bonfires, weenie roasts and warm evenings by the fire using my boneheaded mistakes. This is the latest. I was in a hurry and when measuring and carefully marking for depth, did not notice the nubbin I had left on the inside bottom. When I reversed and was forming the outside bottom, all of a sudden my vacuum chuck system sucked the bottom out of the form :mad:. Ah, well, I kind of feel like a hot dog for lunch anyway:D

Uh.. that sucks. No pun intended.:) Nice looking form though and what kind of wood is that?

bob svoboda
01-01-2011, 7:29 PM
Uh.. that sucks. No pun intended.:) Nice looking form though and what kind of wood is that?
You're right about the sucking part. It's another piece of maple from my cousin's firewood pile.

David E Keller
01-01-2011, 8:48 PM
I never knew there were so many masochistic types on this forum. I've made plenty of funnels and exploded pieces, but I've never had the urge to take photos of them! You guys are really into self-flagellation, huh?

Jim Underwood
01-01-2011, 9:36 PM
Ah, well, I kind of feel like a hot dog for lunch anyway:D

Well I've made plenty of mistakes, but I can't say I've ever felt like a hot dog....

...whats that feel like anyway?:confused::D

Duff Bement
01-02-2011, 5:42 PM
I have my own ( WALL OF SHAME ) in my shop. I use it to make me feel better when a piece comes off in one piece and becomes a happy memory instead of a nasty reminder.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Jim Burr
01-02-2011, 6:53 PM
This hurt :o:p:mad: