PDA

View Full Version : What's your confession?

Brian Kent
12-31-2010, 9:21 PM
We can't grant absolution, but maybe we would feel better if we confess what we need to and get a clean start for the new year.

So here goes with mine:

I confess that I get great service from several people at Home Depot and Lowes.

I confess that my well-honed Anant 4-1/2 hand plane works well.

Jim Mattheiss
12-31-2010, 10:20 PM
I confess to building WW projects and giving them away without taking pictures of them.

I confess that I'm using a tables saw I bought on CL and have NEVER tuned it up.

Here to improving these in 2011.

Cheers

Jim

Rick Fisher
12-31-2010, 10:29 PM
I confess that I have overfilled my dust collector 4 times in the past 4 months and not cleaned the filter... Two of the times I realized it was full because it completely stopped moving air, and it is probably running at 50% capacity right now (empty) .. but I am too lazy to go and fix it up..

Leigh Betsch
12-31-2010, 10:37 PM
I confess that I'm starting to like wood working more than metal working, almost.

and this is justs plane creepy

Matt Ranum
12-31-2010, 11:00 PM
I confess that when I look at trees I can't help but wonder whats behind that bark.:cool::p

I also confess that I tend to have way too many projects started with no finish time in sight. Really need to work on that.:rolleyes:

Cary Falk
12-31-2010, 11:02 PM
I confess that I enjoy collecting tools more than using them.

Don Dorn
12-31-2010, 11:04 PM
I confess to going into the shop now and then for nothing more than locking up a piece of walnut, pine or aspen on the bench and making shavings with my planes.

johnny means
12-31-2010, 11:14 PM
I confess to building butt joint drawers then inserting dovetail shaped pins in the sides when my client speced dovetail drawers didn't arrive in time. I confess to rationalizing that they were, in a sense, dovetailed.

Joe Jensen
12-31-2010, 11:43 PM
I confess that I'm a tool addict and I don't plan to change

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm not confessing to anything. This forum is open for Google search. Anything said here can and probably will be held against you.....or me....if I confessed to anything.:rolleyes:

Brian Kent
01-01-2011, 12:15 AM
I confess that I want to buy a medium shoulder plane and all 5 Veritas saws even when I don't know where I want to use them.

Aaron Berk
01-01-2011, 12:43 AM
I confess that I'm addicted to WW'ing forums.

1st thing after I lit fireworks, I came here. LOL

Jonathan Spool
01-01-2011, 1:23 AM
I did the unthinkabel. I went to Harbor Freight and liked some of the tools there! I'm so sorry.

ian maybury
01-01-2011, 3:47 AM
How's about another year gone by, and the shop re-layout is only now heading into the completion stages???

My alibi is that it seems to take an age to research stuff properly, and that I'm doing it all myself. (e.g. lighting, wiring, heating, dust system, re-construction etc)

My thanks though to all and everybody here, there's no way it would have got this far without your help, and the help of others on the UK forum too - a happy new year to you all....

PS I seem to have developed a bit of a forum addiction from somewhere too. ;)

Brian W Evans
01-01-2011, 8:37 AM
We can't grant absolution, but maybe we would feel better if we confess what we need to and get a clean start for the new year.

Great idea, Brian!

I will also confess to liking owning tools more than using them.

I will further confess to wanting about 90% of the Lee Valley and 100% of the Lie-Nielsen catalogs without having any real need for most of the stuff in them.

Finally, I confess that I have, on several occasions, used pocket screws in place of more time-consuming joinery when I knew no one would notice.

May Tage Frid absolve me of these sins.

Philip Johnson
01-01-2011, 8:50 AM
I confess that in the last two years I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on tools and haven't made much worth while. But I keep thinking about making something and I really intend to make something but I just end up buying more tools and never make anything.

Phil

Rich Engelhardt
01-01-2011, 9:47 AM
I have a picture of Halle Berry wearing a low cut short black dress as my wallpaper...

Carroll Courtney
01-01-2011, 9:53 AM
I confess,I have never had my blade guard on the PM66 but I do wear safety glasses sometimes---Carroll

Peter Quinn
01-01-2011, 10:16 AM
I confess to suffering from tool envy. When I see someone with a better set up than mine part of me turns green. I feel the urge to upgrade beyond my capacity to pay for said upgrades. This is not in my estimation a healthy attitude. I'm working hard to move past it. By working hard I mean buying lottery tickets and saving my money for future upgrades of course.....

Bob Riefer
01-01-2011, 10:17 AM
I confess, that I'm scared to death of my first trip to the sawmill which is coming up in about 2 weeks.

I also confess that I'm confused and dreading detailed tune ups of each machine that I've pieced together.

edit: one more... I confess to be disinterested in the finishing stage of projects right now. I'm really hoping that changes once I actually get started.

Bruce Volden
01-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I confess that it has been a long while since my shop has had a thourough cleaning. I also confess it may be a long while before it gets one :D

Bruce

Rick Moyer
01-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I confess that in the last two years I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on tools and haven't made much worth while. But I keep thinking about making something and I really intend to make something but I just end up buying more tools and never make anything.

Phil
Ditto. I spend way more time reading here than working in the shop, too.

I have a picture of Halle Berry wearing a low cut short black dress as my wallpaper... OK, You win!

Belinda Barfield
01-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I confess that I have more virtual friends on the Creek than I have actual person friends.

I confess that my attitude is too negative and I really need to work on that.

Trace Beard
01-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I confess to entering the Highland Woodworking giveaway for the Lie Nielson tools 10,518 times.

Trace

Bernie May
01-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I confess to most of the above, except for the Halle Berry picture (my wife would shoot me). I confess that I am afraid to retire because my tool buying fetish woud most certainly increase with less money available and no room to add more tools in my shop.
-bernie

Dewayne Reding
01-01-2011, 1:07 PM
Collecting small scraps of leftover "interesting" hardwood, most of which I will never use, to the extent that they sometimes make it difficult to work as safely as I should in my shop. My name is Dewayne, and I am a woodaholic.......

Roger Pozzi
01-01-2011, 1:21 PM
I confess to choosing a tool that I really, really want before having a project in mind to use that tool. Then, finding that special project that requires me to buy that tool in order to finish that project. ;):D:D

Tim Godfrey
01-01-2011, 1:26 PM
I confess that I've found that a fool and his money can purchase way more tools than he'll ever need....

I also confess that I've past the youthful stage of my life and recognize that I need to search for the fountain of smart....

And finally I confess that I have at times treated my body more as an amusement park than a temple, and I plan to work to improve on that...

Heather Thompson
01-01-2011, 1:30 PM
I confess to entering the Highland Woodworking giveaway for the Lie Nielson tools 10,518 times.

Trace

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek: And my husband thought I was bad at 3,612, I would work around the house with a timer in my pocket set for three minutes, got a lot of exercise running up the stairs to "vote" as Dennis would call it.

Heather

Leigh Betsch
01-01-2011, 2:29 PM
I confess to having never watched Norm.
Turning wood with my SouthBend, drilling wood with my Moore Jig Borer, cutting aluminum with my table saw, and opening paint cans with my chisels. Old chisels that is.

Chip Lindley
01-01-2011, 2:30 PM
As Sgt. Schultz always said on Hogan's Heros: "I know nothing–NOTHING!" My real confessions were reserved for the 5th Step. But, I will confess I stayed home on New Years Eve!

David G Baker
01-01-2011, 2:41 PM
I confess to owning three drill presses and three band saws but none of them are quality items but work when I switch them on. If I had spent the money that I spent on them on quality products I would probably still buy them again if I saw them for sale at a cheap price.

Clarence Miller
01-01-2011, 2:48 PM
I confess that I enjoy building jigs and fixtures to use for woodworking more than woodworking itself.

Kent A Bathurst
01-01-2011, 4:02 PM

Heathen.................

Kent A Bathurst
01-01-2011, 4:03 PM
I went to Harbor Freight and liked some of the tools there!

Heretic...........

John TenEyck
01-01-2011, 4:14 PM
I confess to lavishing more time on projects than customers are willing to pay for - because my name is on it.

I confess to owning three table saws. I have six chainsaws so I don't see a problem.

I confess that I will buy more tools this year - but not one BF of wood. Those chainsaws earn their keep.

I confess that I enjoy milling lumber almost as much as making furniture from it.

Steve LeLaurin
01-01-2011, 5:33 PM
I confess that I actually like making jigs and fixtures more than making nice things for friends and family.

And while I didn't register for the drawing on Highland Woodworking over 10,000 time, I did use 5 different email addresses about 75 for each one! Shhh ... don't talk about it ... my wife thinks I have too many tools already.

Gene Howe
01-01-2011, 6:33 PM
I confess to more time spent building stuff that will never go out the shop door, than stuff that will.
I confess to buying job specific tools and putting them on the shelf until the time they're needed, which may never come!
I confess to not cleaning the shop until I can't find a screwdriver dropped on the floor.

Erik Christensen
01-01-2011, 6:45 PM
I confess to being REALLY hard on tools. I am learning this craft and accept that material is going to get ruined but I have discovered that tools take a hit too. I have been totally focused on personal safety so only a few times have I scared myself and nothing (so far) even close to a personal hit but if I can only focus one one thing because this is all so new I focus on not getting hurt - BUT tools get dinged all the time.

I think I'd be really good working in a factory test lab for a tool company - if it lasts 6 months in my shop it is pretty much bullet proof.

Bob Warfield
01-02-2011, 8:38 PM
My sin may quite possibly be the worst of all. I did knowingly fondel another man's saws at WIA this past year. There I said it! I feel so much better now.
Thank You,
Bob Warfield

Brian Kent
01-02-2011, 8:43 PM
Good confession, Bob.

Bob Wingard
01-02-2011, 8:59 PM
I dye Cherry !!!

Joe Shinall
01-03-2011, 12:33 AM
I confess that I walk into my shop, turn on the tv, lean against my table saw and just look around!

I confess to buying tools when I don't even have a place to put the ones I have now!

I confess that for Christmas 09 I bought my wife a lathe so I could use it!

I confess that I tell friends I will help them with projects and build things for them just so I can use my tools!

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 12:56 AM
I confess to coveting my neighbors (and people in general) bandsaws.
I confess I dream of bandsaw guides (lignum vitae last night, honest)
I confess I like Snowflakes even in July

Hi, my name is Van and I have a bandsaw habit

Philip Rodriquez
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I confess to:

I have more money than time... Rather than buying tools, it would have been much cheaper to just buy everyone I know furniture… but it wouldn’t have been as much fun!

I habitually watch Craigslist… just for fun.

I just spent 40 hours making a $50 dollar (materials) Christmas gift, for my wife’s uncle… and I never took a picture of it!

Jim Rimmer
01-03-2011, 1:08 PM
I confess to:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I have more money than time...

Similar confession but the dyslexic version. I have lots of time and not enough money. And as another confessed, I put off retiring because my woodworking would not have enough $$$ to support it.

Prashun Patel
01-03-2011, 1:52 PM
Don, I thought I was the only one who did this! Kindred spirits, yo!

Victor Robinson
01-03-2011, 4:27 PM
I confess that I frequently enter the shop only to pull out my dial indicator jig, verify my TS blade is within 0.0005" parallel to the miter slot, nod in approval, and leave.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 4:33 PM
I confess that I frequently enter the shop only to pull out my dial indicator jig, verify my TS blade is within 0.0005" parallel to the miter slot, nod in approval, and leave.

Sometimes I just go out to admire my machines, and must confess I have on occasion petted one, usually a bandsaw.

Larry Fox
01-03-2011, 4:40 PM
I confess that I enjoy building jigs and fixtures to use for woodworking more than woodworking itself.

I confess that I absolutely detest building jigs and fixtures and will spend hours trying to figure out how to do it without building one .... only to end up spending hours building one. :(

Stephen Tashiro
01-03-2011, 6:20 PM
Once or twice I've used a screwdriver to pry something instead of using a pry bar. But it didn't hurt the screwdriver - really, it didn't.

Gary Herrmann
01-03-2011, 6:45 PM
I confess I like Snowflakes even in July

Man, I'd really like to have a Snowflake. A great big ol' 36 incher. Can't fault you there.

I confess to having not taken a pic of a completed project for the last 12-18 months. I just never seem to get around to it anymore.

Like today. Oops.

Victor Robinson
01-03-2011, 6:47 PM
Sometimes I just go out to admire my machines, and must confess I have on occasion petted one, usually a bandsaw.

A pet is different from a stroke is different from a pat is different from a caress is different from a fondle. So which was it? :p

Chris Tsutsui
01-03-2011, 6:56 PM
I confess to the following:

Buying things i don't need when it's on clearance.

Buying wood and hardware for a project and never doing that project.

Saying yes to favors when I should be saying no.

Spending more time on something than I should due to being side tracked.

Getting annoyed when the workers at woodcraft and rockler treat me like a child, thus i'm growing a mustache and beard to look older.

Finally, I confess to building the weirdest things as gifts. For example this is a sewing thread spool holder for my aunt that rotates on a lazy susan bearing. Cut a 4x4 redwood post with a band saw and stuck dowels in it... Looks like a modern art wooden cactus or something..

I also confess that my table saw was only cluttered in that picture because I was cleaning the shop. :)

Gregory Stahl
01-04-2011, 12:31 AM
I confess to delaying the completion of my new house into 2011 so that I can use the property tax savings to buy more woodworking machines that I do not need. Mother-in-law's basement isn't so bad after all.

Greg Stahl

Richard Wagner
01-04-2011, 7:30 AM
I confess to having read every one of these confusions...even though not one of them applies to me.

Terry Wawro
01-19-2011, 9:36 AM
I confess to buying a Hitachi plunge router and a HVLP unit over two years ago and I have not used them yet.

Chris Griggs
01-19-2011, 8:34 PM
I confess to being a 29 year old who spends his lunch breaks talking online to mostly older men (no offense guys) about woodworking with hand tools.

I confess to posting questions about which tool (plane, saw, chisel, etc) I should buy even though all the ones I mention are of the same quality and the only way to tell which one I will prefer is by actually trying them.

And finally, I confess to not flattening my water stones after each use... GASP!

glenn bradley
01-19-2011, 8:55 PM
How's about another year gone by, and the shop re-layout is only now heading into the completion stages???

Is that not right??? I guess I confess too then ;-)

Don Morris
01-20-2011, 12:10 AM
You're supposed to flatten your waterstones? I thought the dips were intended.

Joshua Culp
01-20-2011, 1:46 AM
I confess to having never watched Norm.
Turning wood with my SouthBend, drilling wood with my Moore Jig Borer, cutting aluminum with my table saw, and opening paint cans with my chisels. Old chisels that is.

You, sir, are a kindred spirit - certainly a fellow engineer. Well, except for the part about never having watched Norm. Some things are inexcusable. I routinely find creative uses for tools to make things work.

I confess to not opening the garage door and/or hooking the shop vac up to the table saw or ROS and end up coating the washer and dryer and clothes in sawdust.

I confess to painting a project that I really wanted to stain because I ran out of wood and finished with a different type of wood that I had on hand because I was too cheap/lazy to make another trip to the store to buy what I ran out of.

I confess that I am easily distracted by shiny things and the time to complete a project can double because of the extra time spent looking in the store instead of getting what I'm there for and getting back to work.

I confess to ruining good Sunday khaki pants (ahem... repeatedly) when I knew I should have changed first because "I'll just be in the garage for a minute Honey - I just want to do one thing real quick...". This confession probably applies more to metal work on the vehicles or the hit and miss engine than it does to work, but I wanted to get everything off my chest while I was at it.

Van Huskey
01-20-2011, 1:50 AM
A pet is different from a stroke is different from a pat is different from a caress is different from a fondle. So which was it? :p

I confess that I would explain, but it is a family forum. :o

I further confess that I am on my way to pick up another bandsaw this weekend, which will make 3 in the last 6 months, 2 in 8 days. But, they are all cool!

One more confession, I think table saws are dull but bandsaws are cool, well except for Delta 14" saws and the clones...:(

Bill LaPointe
01-20-2011, 5:44 AM
My name is Bill and I'm addicted to tools, any kind of tool.

I confess that sometimes I tell my wife "I've had that tool for years, it just looks new"

George Beck
01-20-2011, 6:49 AM
I confess to noticing my plane has lost it's edge and rather than sharpen it, reaching for the rotary sander.
I confess to starting a new project rather than finish the 19 unfinished ones.

Rich Engelhardt
01-20-2011, 7:09 AM
Ok - busted...
I confess..I don't have Halle Berry wallpaper.

It's Kelly Hu :D

Van Huskey
01-20-2011, 8:25 AM
Ok - busted...
I confess..I don't have Halle Berry wallpaper.

It's Kelly Hu :D

I confess my first thought was Kelly "Who", google is my friend. My second thought was who has wall paper (like on an actual room wall) with actors on it... even google can't fix my brand of stupid!

Archie Hendrick
01-20-2011, 9:03 AM
I confess to being slightly disappointed each morning when I find that our ancient cat is still alive because I really, really want to use the cat box area under the basement stairs for shop storage.

Alan Wright
01-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I confess I buy thing and sneak them into my shop!! I have the Festool Domino and my wife knew I bought it and that it was expensive. Last week I bought Rotex 150 sander (about $400). My wife was in my shop last night and didn't she say "hey where'd you get that Festool sander, aren't they really expensive". I replied that I'd had that sander for a couple years. End of discussion. I don't like to lie to my wife, but don't I have the right to buy tools and not have to admit it??:p

Jerome Hanby
01-20-2011, 1:51 PM
I confess that I have a Unisaw, 2 Dewalt RASs, A Shopsmith Model V, a Bocie Crane Jointer, and a box of vintage Stanley and wooden planes that I acquired to rehab. Other than a little Unisaw dissasembly, I've done no rehabing at all...yet

Gene Thayer
01-20-2011, 1:53 PM
I confess I'm also a tool addict. There's hardly a single item from Woodpeckers & Incra that I don't already own. Lee Valley calls me by my first name. I have more shop tools than room to use them. I'd rather buy tools & adjust them than get sawdust all over them by making things.

Aaron Berk
01-20-2011, 2:20 PM
Ooohhh that's priceless.

Excellent confession, and even better rationalization!

I'm right there with ya Alan

John Sanford
01-20-2011, 8:44 PM
I confess to being slightly disappointed each morning when I find that our ancient cat is still alive because I really, really want to use the cat box area under the basement stairs for shop storage. :eek:

BESTEST confession evah!! I can imagine it now... "honey, why does it sound like there's a cat in the dust collector?" response: "Cat, what cat? Do we have a cat?" ;)

I confess to having the driest wood on SMC. Which is only because I've spent more time buying tools over the last year than I have using them.

I confess to buying a P-C belt sander because it's cute.

I confess to wondering "where did that tool get off to" entirely too often.

I confess to assuming that the "lost" tool will be unearthed eventually in some odd corner of the shop.

I confess to not sharpening when I should.

Brian Effinger
01-20-2011, 8:49 PM
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...

I confess to starting new projects before finishing the previous project(s).
I confess to being a wood hoarder.

I have a picture of Halle Berry wearing a low cut short black dress as my wallpaper...
I confess, I'd like that wall paper... or Kelly Hu. :D

I confess that I have more virtual friends on the Creek than I have actual person friends.

I confess that my attitude is too negative and I really need to work on that.
I confess that I find that hard to believe.

Brad Gobble
01-20-2011, 8:58 PM
I confess to spending more time at work on ww forums and CL than I do on my job ... sometimes!

Chris Walls
01-20-2011, 10:51 PM
I confess there is SOMETHING about a high powered Stihl and a full chipper chain that I like.

Chris

Van Huskey
01-20-2011, 11:42 PM
I confess that I tend to spend more on tools than wood...

Eiji Fuller
01-21-2011, 9:49 AM
I confess to an obsession with large Italian bandsaws. It all started with a 1989 SCMI SC600. Then I got a great deal on a Felder 540. I'm now covetting a Laguna LT24-24 and the LT28. Its not that I have or will have too many, its that my shop wont fit any more.

Prashun Patel
01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I confess that I thought seriously of taking a family pix out of an 8x10 frame and putting in the cover of a past issue of the LV catalog.

I confess to having Rob Lee wallpaper.

Brian Kent
01-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I confess that I thought seriously of taking a family pix out of an 8x10 frame and putting in the cover of a past issue of the LV catalog.

I confess to having Rob Lee wallpaper.

Wow! Rob Lee beats Halle Barry AND Kelly Hu!

Van Huskey
01-21-2011, 2:34 PM
I confess to an obsession with large Italian bandsaws. It all started with a 1989 SCMI SC600. Then I got a great deal on a Felder 540. I'm now covetting a Laguna LT24-24 and the LT28. Its not that I have or will have too many, its that my shop wont fit any more.

Though I share the obsession mine is bleeding out into old iron. A Delta 20" picked up last week, a Powermatic 141 scheduled this weekend... It is all leading to a situation where I will be on a quest for a Yates Y36 Snowflake and then I will have to build a shop to hold it, then I will have to have a similar Italian saw so I can do a show and tell when people visit my shop comparing and contrasting the best of the old vesus the best of the new. Anyone got 20K they wanna give me? I promise to fly you in, put you up, feed you some serious Cajun and Creole food and even give you a power point presentation on the two, maybe even let you cut something with both of them!

Sid Matheny
01-23-2011, 11:10 AM
I plead the 5th!

Sid

Joseph D'Orazio
01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Wow. I confess to leaping before looking. I bought a contractor table saw from Craftsman (made by Ryobi) and I hate it. I have to get my tape measure out each and every time to square the fence to the blade.

I confess that I still have not got my brand new Craftsman 14" band saw to quit breaking blades yet. I am now scared of it.

I confess that even though my router table is quite possibly the worst one ever (metal Craftsman table) I enjoy getting to use it.

I confess that I absolutely love my Leigh D1600 dovetail jig that I bought right here on the Creek.

I confess that the best thing (woodworking wise) to ever happen is becoming an apprentice at the wood shop.

Brian Kent
01-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I confess to accidentally posting on an old confession thread.
I confess that I did not remember that I started that one too.
I confess that I'm not old enough to blame my memory lapses on age.

bill schmoott
01-24-2011, 2:53 PM
This is my first post here on the creek and just wanted to say thank you for giving me a place to get this off my chest.

Ok, here goes. I was driving by my neighbors house last Saturday and saw him and his very, very attractive (the kind of attractive that you wonder why the good lord even makes them that attractive) wife standing in the garage looking at a new huge Laguna bandsaw.

I, I, I, confess to driving by my neighbors house 9 times since then to see if his garage door was up so I could get another good look at the bandsaw. I told my girlfriend I was going to the store on two of those occassions...........I know I'm sick. I feel so lost..........is there no help for me?

Anonymous

Belinda Barfield
01-24-2011, 3:04 PM
This is my first post here on the creek and just wanted to say thank you for giving me a place to get this off my chest.

Ok, here goes. I was driving by my neighbors house last Saturday and saw him and his very, very attractive (the kind of attractive that you wonder why the good lord even makes them that attractive) wife standing in the garage looking at a new huge Laguna bandsaw.

I, I, I, confess to driving by my neighbors house 9 times since then to see if his garage door was up so I could get another good look at the bandsaw. I told my girlfriend I was going to the store on two of those occassions...........I know I'm sick. I feel so lost..........is there no help for me?

Anonymous

Welcome to the Creek! I confess that I believe the bigger question here is why the good lord made a bandsaw more beautiful than a woman. :p

David Prince
01-24-2011, 3:22 PM
I love my family and enjoy spending time with them and all that, but there are times that I would just rather sit in my shop and look at my tools! :o

Brian Kent
01-24-2011, 4:47 PM
That's very funny, Bill. Welcome to the Creek and thanks for confessing with us. I checked in the 10 commandments and didn't see one about coveting your neighbor's bandsaw.

edit: Never mind. I checked again and there is some fine print after not coveting your neighbor's ox or donkey, "...or anything else that belongs to your neighbor."

Oh well, I tried to help!

bill schmoott
01-24-2011, 5:20 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome Belinda and Brian. I know I could hear the gasps as the Creek members read my post. I am sure some of you even had to look away from your computer screens in horror. But let me remind you all there another saying about "casting the first stone"?

Oh, and I must also confess I looked at Belindas picture and wondered if she had a bandsaw? Its a madhouse I tell you, a MAAAAAAAAADHHOOUUSE!

Belinda Barfield
01-24-2011, 6:21 PM
I like you already Bill!

Jon McElwain
01-24-2011, 7:40 PM
I confess that I store buggers on the underside of machines bearing the names Powermatic, Laguna, and Oneway.

Joel Albert
01-25-2011, 6:29 PM
Clarence,

Perhaps we can work a deal--I hate building jigs but love using them. How about a circle cutting jig for a bandsaw?

Joel Albert
01-25-2011, 6:36 PM
I confess that I feel so much better after reading all of your confessions!!!!

I am not alone!

Grin--my wife absolutely needs to read this thread so she will realize, its not me who has the problem!!

Joel

Paul McGaha
01-25-2011, 7:32 PM
With all due respect to Lee Valley tools, I think I'd prefer the Halle Barry wallpaper.

As for a confession, I suppose I am easily guilty of coveting some of my fellow creekers workshops (Not to mention skill levels).

PHM

Brian Kent
02-10-2011, 3:56 PM
Yesterday I heard that you can get an iPhone ap for confessions for $1.95. We can do it right here for free!

Van Huskey
02-10-2011, 4:19 PM
I confess I Like SS threads.

Douglas Clark
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Is February too late for confession... I hope not. Either way, here goes:

I confess to reading about and talking about my hobbies (especially woodworking) more than actually doing them.
I confess to being scared to death to reveal my ignorance by asking questions, but only when it comes to woodworking for some reason.
I confess to buying tools when I should have paid off some CC debt, instead.
And finally I confess to letting those tools sit and gather dust while I try to pay off said debt AND save enough money up to buy materials on which to use those tools!

Oh yeah, and I confess that I am not as good at being as I should be and consequently it took me three years after becoming a contributing member of SMC to make my first post!

Leo Graywacz
02-10-2011, 10:49 PM
I confess that my shop was a pigsty and I left it that way for 3 weeks. I finally cleaned it up a few days ago.

Tom Cornish
02-11-2011, 3:05 PM
I confess that last night I used $16,000 worth of tools to make what amounts to a nice board with two holes in it.

Joe Von Kaenel
02-11-2011, 3:22 PM
I confess to buying tools I don't use much. Finished installin laminate floor in our entire house, then telling my wife I wanted to insulate my shop. She told me, not until I put a floor in the attic. I admit to putting the floor down ,just so I can start insulating my shop.

Belinda Barfield
02-11-2011, 3:40 PM
I confess that this has been one VERY long day, that I am going to go home and make a pitcher of Margaritas, and I just might drink the whole darn thing. I also confess that in order to make this pertinent to wood working I will stir the Margaritas with my hand carved wooden spoon.

Joseph D'Orazio
02-11-2011, 4:10 PM
I confess that this has been one VERY long day, that I am going to go home and make a pitcher of Margaritas, and I just might drink the whole darn thing. I also confess that in order to make this pertinent to wood working I will stir the Margaritas with my hand carved wooden spoon.I confess to wanting to see pictures. Pictures of the wooden spoon of course.

Van Huskey
02-11-2011, 5:49 PM
There has been a lot o' confessin' in this thread, some of which is mine, I wanna know when the absolution is comin'!

Belinda Barfield
02-11-2011, 6:06 PM
There has been a lot o' confessin' in this thread, some of which is mine, I wanna know when the absolution is comin'!

I think we are just confessin' for the sake of confessin' . . . you're resposible for your own absolution. As best I can tell so far there ain't ben no real sinnin' goin' on. . .

On second thought, there could have been some of that lustin' after your neighbors woodworking tools and stuff. I guess you have to judge your own heart and intentions.

Van Huskey
02-11-2011, 6:12 PM
I think we are just confessin' for the sake of confessin' . . . you're resposible for your own absolution. As best I can tell so far there ain't ben no real sinnin' goin' on. . .

On second thought, there could have been some of that lustin' after your neighbors woodworking tools and stuff. I guess you have to judge your own heart and intentions.

I thought coveting thy neighbors tools was a requirement not a sin...

Joseph D'Orazio
02-11-2011, 6:14 PM

On second thought, there could have been some of that lustin' after your neighbors woodworking tools and stuff. I guess you have to judge your own heart and intentions.I am guilty of lusting after others tools, that for sure. I am in the market for a dedicated morticer now. Probably a bench model. I wish there was not a $55 dollar shipping charge at woodcraft to order the PM701 model.

Van Huskey
02-11-2011, 6:20 PM
I am guilty of lusting after others tools, that for sure. I am in the market for a dedicated morticer now. Probably a bench model. I wish there was not a $55 dollar shipping charge at woodcraft to order the PM701 model.

Equipment sales has it for $399.99 and should qualify for free shipping, so near $100 cheaper than WC when shipping is included.

http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/product_p/179-1310.htm

Brian Kent
02-11-2011, 9:52 PM
I can't grant absolution, but we could make some suggestions:

Fix something at your church, synagogue, temple.

Make an end grain cutting board and leave it without your name on a neighbor's porch.

Surprise a family member with a unique creation.

Look at your shop and say "Thank you" once for each tool.

Joseph D'Orazio
02-12-2011, 6:50 AM
Equipment sales has it for $399.99 and should qualify for free shipping, so near $100 cheaper than WC when shipping is included.

http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/product_p/179-1310.htm
Hey thank you, I didnt see free shipping but its still cheaper that woodcraft.

Ryan Fee
02-12-2011, 8:25 AM
I confess that the plane I reach for most often is a modern Stanley block plane (even though I've got a vintage Craftsman block plane, a Record #4 and a vintage Stanley #5 in the shop)

I confess that the sharpest chisel in my shop is a Made in China butt chisel with a plastic handle (even though I have Lee Valley, EA Berg, Sandvik, Marples and Narex chisels in there too)

Van Huskey
02-12-2011, 4:03 PM
Hey thank you, I didnt see free shipping but its still cheaper that woodcraft.

Call them. I think everything over $250 is free shipping. If not there are other places that have it with free shipping for 10-20 bucks more. Tools-plus is at $420.

phil harold
02-12-2011, 4:49 PM
I confess I am addicted to to the smell of walnut
no matter how much it aggravates my sinuses

Brian Kent
12-31-2011, 5:46 PM
Time once again for refreshing confessions!

I confess that contrary to the ethics of Sawmill Creek, I have been careful and frugal about tool purchases in 2011.

I confess to using the principal of delayed gratification despite several rounds of lathe-lust.

I confess to enjoying the people of Sawmill Creek even more than the woodworking advice.

I confess to deceiving myself about buying a lathe when I'm 60 (I'm 56 now) when I really hope for a nice lathe in 2012.

We, the penitent, love company. Please join in.

Brian, the groveling one.

Jerome Hanby
12-31-2011, 6:14 PM
. I confess that the only Craigslist purchase I've ever made that wasn't just seeing something cool and grabbing it was my Unisaw.
. I confess that the only Craigslist purchase I've ever made that still hasn't performed even one task is that same Unisaw.
. I confess to momentary (some not so momentary) urges to run people over with my Shopsmith after they bad mouth Shopsmiths...Then wait another 20 years, run over them again then build a piece of furniture with it.
. I confess that I get soft hearted (maybe that's soft headed) when someone is selling an item much too cheaply and don't even try to haggle with them.
. I confess that I will buy walnut any where, any time given the slightest bit of extra money and any far fetched imaginings I can come up with to convince myself that it's too good a deal to pass.
. I confess that most of my projects originate from the need to buy a new tool or build a cool jig.
. I confess that I will spend ten times the money in time and actual dollars to build a tool than it would take to buy it brand new not on sale.
. I confess that I get irrationally angry any time Bill Pentz's name comes up <g>
. I confess that I've reloaded SMC using my what's new bookmark multiple times in the same couple of minute period looking for a new post to read.

Jerry Thompson
12-31-2011, 7:51 PM
I confess that my garage/shop is a horrible mess and I will not change.

Andrew Joiner
12-31-2011, 8:18 PM
My only dust collection is a broom.
I have enough clamps.
I don't have many tools and only 5 woodworking machines, but it's all I need to make furniture.
I recently found some cash I forgot about, but I'm so happy with the shop I have I'm having trouble buying any tools.

Duane Bledsoe
12-31-2011, 10:52 PM
I confess to using tools and putting them away dirty.
I confess to seeing tools on the shelf and trying in vain to justify the purchase price, and then finally buying them while feeling guilty about it.
I confess to making my wife think I "need" a new tool even though I can do the job without it.
I confess to using 2x lumber to build with, even in places where it will be sanded and finished with stain and varnish.
I confess to having taken short cuts in some projects, only to regret it later.

Matthew N. Masail
01-01-2012, 4:43 AM
I confess to planning out projects and researching ideas long before they are remotely possibility, and therefor neglecting what matters now. I also confess that once I get a band saw I'll have just about enough room to queez around the workshop... and I'm still waiting for my first hand tool order to arrive....

John Coloccia
01-01-2012, 7:50 AM
I confess that I earlier this year I tried to glue down some veneer, and it wasn't going well at all. It kept coming up around the edges and I had a hard time clamping it because my arrangement was terrible. I took some medium CA, squeezed it in there (mixed it right in with the still liquid Titebond), slathered it in accelerator and called it a day. I feel dirty just thinking about it.

Bud Millis
01-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I plead the 5th.

With that said, I confess to finishing my projects, clearing my benches and cleaning and organizing the shop once and for all.

Dave Van Ess
01-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I admit that I buy wood with no immediate project what so ever in mind. I do eventually use it but I have some pieces 20 years old. Still waiting for the right project. It really bugs my wife so I sneak the boards into my shop and hide them for 5 weeks. I then put them in my wood stash. When my wife see them and says? "YOU'VE BEEN BUYING MOOOOORE WOOD!" I just respond "Oh those aren't new, they have been there for months". At least 1.25 months.

My wife went on a trip and as I dropped her off at the airport. Her parting words were "Be good!" Some guys would go to a tavern, some the casino, others a strip club. Some go on a cheap drunk but I went to the lumber store. They had a great dealt on ebony shorts and their first supply of parrot wood in 6 years. We won't talk about my road trip in Northern California and redwood burl. At least $200 worth of burl is easy to sneak into the shop!

Dave

Brian Kent
01-01-2012, 6:22 PM
I confess that I just insulted a tool one sentence before my cousin told me his wife had bought the same tool. Today. I'm sorry.

Jeff Monson
01-01-2012, 8:30 PM
I confess that I just insulted a tool one sentence before my cousin told me his wife had bought the same tool. Today. I'm sorry.

Thats a tough one to recover from Brian. Open mouth insert foot.

I confess I used a piece of walnut, to complete some toe kicks, on a painted kitchen cabinet job I'm finishing up. I was short on paint grade maple....and it was just sitting there. Lord please forgive me.

Eric McCune
01-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I confess that I'm not interested in any power tools made outside of Europe. I'm a tool snob deal with it.

Don Morris
01-02-2012, 7:18 AM
Only when I'm on my death bed because it's too telling.