PDA

View Full Version : What Loss of Focus Looks Like

Nate Davey
12-31-2010, 8:13 PM
Well, was almost done with the inside of this one and let something distract me.

Of more concern, was when I looked at my G3 it had a significant wobble, so I unscrewed it from the insert and it was wobbling, but no wobble in the spindle. Looks like it's time for a new insert.

Anyways, the center is Spalted Holly and the what's left of the ring is Walnut. I was hoping to finish the bottom then leave it next to the lathe as a reminder, but with the chuck running out, there's now way.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 8:18 PM
Nate,

You had a nice one going there! How unfortunate :eek: I like the walnut ring, and that spalting is very pronounced on that piece of wood, would have been a real nice piece.

gary Zimmel
12-31-2010, 8:23 PM
Now this is something I can relate to.... I feel for you Nate, looked like this was was well on it's way to being a real nice piece.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-31-2010, 8:28 PM
Nate.....I feel for you. I can show you 5 examples of loss of focus on my assembly table right now. I am just trying to turn a simple handle with a fairly detailed sequence. I am down to my last piece of blackwood for it. If this one fails, I'll be ordering more supplies.

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 8:41 PM
Nate, this can still be an excellent piece! When you get the chuck issue resolved, turn away the walnut, and glue on another chunk of it to the spalted holly. You won't lose any of the holly except to just true up the face for a glue joint. Try to get the grain of the walnut to run in the same direction of the holly for a better joint.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-31-2010, 8:42 PM
Nate,
Tough break but that one looks like it can be fixed. Once you get a new chuck, fix the tenon, turn off the walnut and glue in a new piece. By the way, What can happen to a chuck for it to develop run out?
faust

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2010, 9:48 PM
Nate that is a tough one but do agree with John that it can be saved.

David E Keller
12-31-2010, 10:13 PM
That's too bad, but I agree with the others... That piece of holly deserves a second chance.

Michael James
12-31-2010, 10:22 PM
That's a heartbreaker there, amigo! I agree stash in the save box!

Nate Davey
12-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Nate,
Tough break but that one looks like it can be fixed. Once you get a new chuck, fix the tenon, turn off the walnut and glue in a new piece. By the way, What can happen to a chuck for it to develop run out?
faust

I have no idea what is causing the run out. I was a little pissed off when I noticed it. I'll look tomorrow and see what's what

Thank you all for the encouragement. I will definitely work on recovering the Holly.

Thom Sturgill
01-01-2011, 8:11 AM
I agree with John, but as alternatives you could leave a small ring of walnut- if you like it stop there. Or leave a small ring and add a third material to build out the diameter, but first fix that chuck. Did you by any chance have a windriver (woodcraft) insert rather than the OEM insert?