PDA

View Full Version : chess set

Allan Ferguson
12-31-2010, 7:56 PM
Chess set, board and box. Walnut and maple. " squares, king 5 1/4" tall, non-traditional knight. Made winter 09/10. No duplicator used.

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 7:58 PM
Allan, this is a wonderful posting! Great work on the board and box, and fantastic turning on the pieces. Very consistent, and well designed.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 7:59 PM
Now that is impressive! Very meticulous detailing on those chess pieces! Wonderful board! This is classy for sure, and we know a LOT of work! Congratulations on a wonderful set. the box is really nice...........I love the splines in the mitered corners of the board, the contrasting woods and the joinery that I can see in your box......first class!

Jim Underwood
12-31-2010, 8:02 PM
Very classy set! I like the solution to the knight profile. Well executed!

gary Zimmel
12-31-2010, 8:04 PM
Now that is a sweet project. Well done Allan..

Roger Wilson
12-31-2010, 8:27 PM
Ya dun good. This is one of the few chess sets I've seen where the pieces are almost entirely done on the lathe. Did you come up with the piece design yourself?

Harry Robinette
12-31-2010, 8:48 PM
Allen
Very nice and I like what you did to the knight,is that a white wash on the maple or what.
Harry

Dick Mahany
12-31-2010, 9:36 PM
Alan,

This is a beautiful execution of a perfect blend of segmented flat work and very artful, consistent turnings ! I really like the design and wood contrast. The splined miters add a very graceful detail. The turned pieces are very well done and you did a spectacular job.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2010, 9:39 PM
Alan that is a classy chess set. Design and wood contrast look great.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2010, 9:49 PM
Allan - have to agree with the others - very classy work! Seriously - very nice design and excellent job on turning all the pieces! Quite the set! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
12-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Beautiful work both flat and round. I like the knight design... It's more reminiscent of a knight that the horse shape in traditional sets. I love the contrasting splines, and of course, the walnut/maple combo is always a winner.

Thom Sturgill
01-01-2011, 7:58 AM
Excellent work. I've made one or two chess boards and yours is hands down better. I love the knight too. There are a few chess players (none serious) in the family and expect that I will eventually have to turn a set.

Allan Ferguson
01-01-2011, 8:18 AM
Chess pattern adapted to give proper sizing, The maple is very light in color. Wax finish. Board sits loose in the frame.

Paul Douglass
01-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Certainly one to become a family heirloom. Very nice all the way around.

David DeCristoforo
01-01-2011, 11:25 AM
This is a very interesting variation on the classic "Staunton" pattern. Your solution to the usual dilemma of how to make the knight is one of the best I have seen. Often you see a crudely carved knight which detracts from the set as a whole. Your knight is very different but is still easily distinguishable from the other pieces. Thees pieces are a bit "chunky" for my taste but that's just me. Overall, this is a very nice set.

Ron Stadler
01-01-2011, 1:53 PM
Takes alot of patience doing all those pawns and you did them all quite well. I attempted a chess set when I was a kid but never finished all my pawns. Great job and on the chess board as well.:)

Actually my chess set just played out to be a much shorter game.:)

Greg Just
01-01-2011, 3:19 PM
Very nice set and board. As others have said, a classy look.