PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy my first bandsaw

Tim Farrell
01-07-2005, 2:31 PM
I am new to woodworking (about 18 months). The time has come for me to purchase a bandsaw. What should I look for / avoid?

I don't want to spend a zillion dollars but I want to get something that I can use for several years.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Wes Newman
01-07-2005, 3:06 PM
How about the Grizzly G0555. (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0555) I just got mine this week with the Riser block. $490 with the Riser Block delivered. That was last years price. I think your looking at $550 this year. You could always go for the Harbor Freight 14" 4 speed for $229, if you have a Harbor Freight locally.

Chad Young
01-07-2005, 3:27 PM
I also purchased the G0555 about a year and a half ago and have really enjoyed it. I did not purchase the riser block but if I had to do it over again I would and still may after I go through my current blades I own.

Bill Arnold
01-07-2005, 3:46 PM
Tim,

What do you plan to do with the bandsaw? Do you have a budget figure in mind?

Regards,

Lloyd Frisbee
01-07-2005, 4:00 PM
I too got my Grizzly G0555 with riser this week. I have wanted one all year and finally ordered it just before the price increase. I will be assemblying it this weekend. Pics to follow, for the 2 or 3 people that haven't seen one yet. :D Another new tool and my wife will expect to see some output to justify it. I bought it for my turning blanks. She has been turning more than me lately. She has her own mini lathe.
Lloyd

Tim Farrell
01-07-2005, 8:09 PM
Tim,

What do you plan to do with the bandsaw? Do you have a budget figure in mind?

Regards,

Thanks for asking, Bill. I plan to do some re-sawing. I'd like to be able to do some bending so, re-sawing to thin enough stock to bend to forms. I'd also like to be able to more easily cuts curves. Currently, I use my jig for this exclusively, and that is a hassle.

My budget is somewhere between $500 and $1500.

thanks

thomas prevost
01-07-2005, 9:19 PM
take a look at the Rikon 18" being sold by Woodcraft. It is $1000. Lots of metal for the money. May not have the finish as a Delta but has the 2Hp needed for serious resaw. Has got good reqiews in the mags.

David Fried
01-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Yes, look at the Rikon - it's what I really wanted but the budget said no. I almost got the Grizzly but I read a lot of good reviews online about the Delta 14" that is made in America (the reviews said avoid the one made in China). I bought a refurbished Delta 28-280 that came with a fence for four hundred and something ($463 maybe?) from Wm. Redmond & Son.

http://www.redmond-machinery.com

That model is gone but they still offer refurbished versions of most of the Deltas - might be worth a look. Let us know what you end up getting.

chris toomey
01-08-2005, 5:26 AM
another vote for the g0555. had mine since they came out. i resaw with mine all the time. a lot of saw for the money.

Bill Arnold
01-08-2005, 7:11 AM
Thanks for asking, Bill. I plan to do some re-sawing. I'd like to be able to do some bending so, re-sawing to thin enough stock to bend to forms. I'd also like to be able to more easily cuts curves. Currently, I use my jig for this exclusively, and that is a hassle. My budget is somewhere between $500 and $1500. thanks
With that budget, you should consider the Grizzly G0513. I bought one a few months ago primarily for resawing veneers and strips for bentwood laminations. Take a look at it here: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=g0513

The 14" bandsaws some of the others mentioned are fine machines, but you should consider stepping up to one with a larger motor like the 2hp in the G0513. It has a 12" vertical capacity and I have cut wide boards of cherry, black walnut, mahogany and maple with no strain. If you decide on the Grizzly, don't buy their blades -- check out Timberwolf at:
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/default.asp
or the Woodslicer at:
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1293

Good luck!

Glenn Clabo
01-08-2005, 8:49 AM
Tim...
One of our most thoroughly thorough members...Mr. Terry Hatfield did a review on the Griz 0513 and it pushed me over the edge...and I can't say I've been disappointed once. It's a great machine at a nice price. Check out the 1st review...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4662&highlight=0513
and at his site http://www.terryhatfield.com/ under reviews is a more detail.

John Shuk
01-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Check out the delta 18 inch. It has 18 inches of resaw and gobs of power all at about $1100.00 it is well built.

Ted Shrader
01-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Tim -

I have had a Jet 14" w/ riser (1 HP) for a number of years. Got it real cheap when Lowes was doing a closeout and have gotten my money out of it qnd then some. I recently got (delivered this week) a MiniMax MM16 for many of the reasons you listed in your post. Plenty of power (3.5HP), sufficient resaw capacity(14¼"), and a wider blade capacity(1¼").

Recommend you look at some of the saws that are a step up from the typical 14" saws. Several have been mentioned - Rikon 18", Grizzly 0513, the new Jet 18". They all fit within your budget.

When I was shopping for a larger saw, Minimax folks put me in touch with a guy here locally that owned one. He was in a similar position as you when buying the saw - first saw and wanted to buy it right the first time. In retrospect, I wish I had done the same thing initially.

Good luck,
Ted

Tim Farrell
01-08-2005, 2:30 PM
Wow - Ask and ye shall receive!!! thanks all, this is some great information to go on. I'll look into each of the ideas above.

Help me with one more thing...
I was under the impression that Grizzly made a sub-standard product. But many here and elsewhere in SawMill Creek speak highly of Grizzly. I know most of this is personal opinion but how does Grizzly compare to Jet, and Delta, and Inca (or others) etc in general?

Kent Cori
01-08-2005, 5:41 PM
I'm another happy Grizzly G0555 owner and have been for about a year. It has done everything I've asked of it including resawing. I bought the riser block when I ordered it and a slection of 105" Timberwolf blades. I looked at similar units from both Delta and Jet. I opted for the Griz because, IMHO, it appeared to be constructed as well or better than the other two, had several features they didn't, (tension release and a nice fence) and cost much less.

This is the third Griz large stationary tool that I've purchased. I also have a 1023SL cabinet saw and 182HW 6" jointer. All have been trouble free.

David Tiell
01-08-2005, 5:54 PM
I haven't used much Grizzly stuff myself, but I remember a time when I heard a lot of grumbling about it being sub-standard. However, Grizzly seems to have stepped up to the challenge of feilding a quality product, and from what I've heard and read, met the challenge nicely.

I have shied away from Grizzly for quite some time based on poor performance from several previous Grizzly purchases. I think in recent times Grizzly has improved considerably based on seeing some of their stuff and hearing from other woodworkers' opinions of the equipment they have bought and are pleased with. However, I am still not thoroughly convinced to buy. I happen to be a Jet freak based on the performance of the Jet equipment I own (the vast majority of my major tools). In the past I wouldn't even look at Grizzly with an intent to buy. In the future I will at least give them an honest look.

Bill Arnold
01-09-2005, 6:44 AM
... I know most of this is personal opinion but how does Grizzly compare to Jet, and Delta, and Inca (or others) etc in general?
Any of the major lines are worth considering and there is a multitude of opinion all directions, of course. My neighbor has a Jet 17" and is envious of my Grizzly 17" because of some of the features. The upper assembly of the Grizzly is actually a bit more stable than the Jet. The main thing for me is going down the specification list, seeing a machine match point for point, getting good feedback on these forums and then seeing the price is so much better for the Grizzly.