PDA

View Full Version : A strange chuck?

steven c newman
12-31-2010, 5:51 PM
While going through a"parts" box the other day, I found a small chuck. The chuck itself has no way to use a chuck-key, just hand toght, I guess. The outside screws on the shaft, as you open and close it. The last 1/2' of the shaft had been turned down to about 1/4", or so. Chuck looks like it will hold anything 1/4" or smaller. I'll try to get a picture or two later. Could be an "add-on" for other "drills"?:confused:

Bill Houghton
12-31-2010, 6:19 PM
Sounds like either an add-on, perhaps to use small bits in a large drill; or it's the spindle from an eggbeater drill, with the 1/4" part turned down to receive the driven gear, or going into the drill body to be the rear bearing surface on the spindle.

Jim Koepke
12-31-2010, 7:01 PM
Maybe it was something like this that was modified.

This is to use twist drills in a brace.

jtk

David Dockstader
12-31-2010, 7:52 PM
I believe what you are describing is a pin chuck. It's used to hold small (very small) drill bits when drilling holes for scroll saw blades. Such bits are pretty delicate and usually can't be grabbed by the jaws in a normal chuck. So you can turn the chuck by hand or put it in a small hand drill to drill the holes.

steven c newman
12-31-2010, 8:39 PM
Yep, that is what it almost likes like. Someone had removed the end that went into a brace. Don't know why, but they had. The part that is missing was just ground off. It is also a three jaw design.