PDA

View Full Version : How do you use sanding sealer

Tom Lewis
12-31-2010, 5:44 PM
I bought a can of Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer, but there are no directions for use on the can.
Do you wait till the sanding sealer drys before sanding, or do you sand while it is still wet.
I am useing this on pens where the wood has open grain that I would like to fill.
I guess Mylands thinks everyone knows how to use their sealer, but I don't.

Norman Hitt
12-31-2010, 6:15 PM
I don't know about possible methods for use on turnings, BUT, I have used a lot of sanding sealer on furniture projects over the years, and the method is to shoot it, let it dry and then sand. On very porus woods I have sometimes shot a second coat, but many times I just laid on a very thick coat in the beginning and sanded when dry.

Mike Peace
12-31-2010, 6:30 PM
Check to see if you have a peel off label on the back. I discovered directions underneath - but only after the frustration of trying to get a reply to their customer support email. Never heard from them but finally dicovered they hid it on the back of the can.

Don Alexander
12-31-2010, 9:09 PM
you should apply sand sealer to pen blanks with the lathe off , i usually put it on as heavy as the wood will absorb and wipe off the excess , if any

wait a few minutes for it to dry before sanding to avoid a big mess and when you do sand it, make sure to keep a close watch on your sandpaper and don't hesitate to keep moving to a clean area on the paper ; sand until you are getting wood dust loading your paper as opposed to sand sealer residue (the difference is very obvious)
i usually sand with 150 grit first and only apply sand sealer after a quick initial sanding , this tends to show up the spots where you need the sealer the most , however, be sure you coat the whole blank to avoid blotching

HTH