PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Grizzly 452 and 654 Jointers?

Stew Hagerty
12-31-2010, 5:35 PM
I'm trying to decide between these two jointers. It looks to me as though the differences are minor. I was wondering if anybody has any direct experience with the two and has any insights. The 452 is 6 1/8" while the 654 is 6", the 452's fence is 5 1/2" longer and (on sale) it costs $20 more. Other than that, they seem pretty much the same.

Derek Gilmer
12-31-2010, 5:40 PM
I've got the 452 right now. The two selling points for me where the raised power button being easier to get at than the low one on the 654 and the fence has rack and pinion adjustment where the 654 does not.

Like you said, not major but it was worth the $20 difference.

Stew Hagerty
01-02-2011, 5:35 PM
Hmmm, OK, I like the Rack & Pinion I hadn't caught that. As for the switch, for me thats a negative because I'm in a wheelchair. In fact, thats the one thing that's keeping me from just ordering the 452 even though it has several things that combined are well worth the $20. Thanks for the insight though. Are you glad you got yours? Any plusses or minuses to getting the Griz?

glenn bradley
01-02-2011, 11:33 PM
I'll just throw in that the switch post can probably be mounted so that it reached down instead of up. This may put it too low but, thought I would toss it out there.

Derek Gilmer
01-03-2011, 7:17 AM
The only negatives I have are going to be negatives of any jointer in that price range. The first on is very minor but it is the infeed adjustment. I would prefer a crank to fine tune depth of cut instead of the handle. The only jointer near that price with it are the home depot ones. But I didn't care for the feel of them anywhere near that of the grizzly. The other complaint is bed length. Having used it to joint some long (7ft) pieces it would be much easier with longer beds. But again not many 6" jointers have longer tables. And if they did I'd probably complain about using up too much shop space :). There were no minuses to grizzly specifically though. But I love the place. I picked mine up during the tent sale and they threw in a free set of jointer buddies to help install new blades should I need them.

The jointer has performed well though. It will take good cuts out of full width stock with out chattering if you feed it through at a good speed.

I went and checked on mounting upside down and it should be do-able. However that is going to put it about 17" below the tables and about 4" behind the back of the tables. I think the 654 is going to have a much easier button access for someone in a wheel chair if the height and position of the 452 is a negative.

Stew Hagerty
01-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks Derek and Glenn for your advice. I'm think I'm going to just mull it over for a day or so, then get one or the other on order.