PDA

View Full Version : First and Latest

Paul Williams
12-31-2010, 1:37 PM
A while ago there were seveal threads about first bowls. I got to thinking that it would be interesting to see creekers first bowls. Mine wasn't far away. It has been sitting on my dresser collecting dust and pocket change for 15 to 20 years. Date your first. It actually didn't have any finish on it. So I cleaned it up and added a few coats of WOP for the photo.

I did it on a small metal lathe from a walnut plank that a friend gave me when I was making golf clubs. Brass faced walnut putters were a good product back then. It is 1 1/2 by 3 3/4. I don't know why the 1/16 wall stayed together. I know I would not attempt that on my delta 46-460 today. I used a scraping cut and the cross slide of the metal lathe.

Last week I found a chunk of walnut laying around the garage and decided to make a small bowl to give to my friend and talk to him about the possibility of purchasing some of the walnut his family has been logging off their farm. They have a barn full of 2" planks. I didn't realize it until I started writing this, but these two bowls are from the same plank turned between 15 and 20 years apart.

175757 175739

Tim Thiebaut
12-31-2010, 2:51 PM
That is some beautiful wood you have there, and I think it is great that you have used that bowl for 20 years, talk about getting some practicle use out of something you create!

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 3:24 PM
Paul, you have definitely developed your style over the years. I like both of them, but the new one is very nice. Neat color change on the walnut, too.

Paul Williams
12-31-2010, 6:29 PM
I think the color change is mostly due to the lighting as they really don't look that different in real life. Both change color as the light hits the grain form different angles.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2010, 7:20 PM
Paul - pretty cool to be able to see the original and latest side-by-side! I have no idea where my first bowl is - if I was smart I would have burned it - it was that bad!

Pretty wood but have to admit I like your latest turning the best!

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2010, 9:54 PM
Now that is cool to see them side by side. Really nice bowls.