PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made Andy Rae's Tool Cabinet?

Brian Kent
12-31-2010, 12:51 PM
I am impressed every time I see this plan by Andy Rae:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080491/29561/Tool-Cabinet-Plan-AFD-277.aspx?refcode=05INFROO

Besides being a beautiful tool cabinet, it would be an inspiring way to learn techniques.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

John A. Callaway
12-31-2010, 2:47 PM
wasnt even aware that he had published plans... I like that it comes on 36x48 inch prints... It might actually make it a little more easy to understand...

hhhmmmm..... maybe after I acquire a few more necessary hand tools to build it with... I have several of his books. He is a good writer.

I say you go for it.

C Scott McDonald
12-31-2010, 4:04 PM
I dont see a spot on it to bang my head against when I cut a board to short.

Scott Dodd
12-31-2010, 4:58 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?128110-New-guy-with-an-ongoing-project&p=1293435

I built a similar cabinet of my own design. The bottom cabinet started life as an island in the kitchen but I didn't like it there so I found a new purpose for it. This is a piece I will use until I'm done with my tools. I say build one.

Scott

Brian Kent
12-31-2010, 5:31 PM
That's very nice, Scott.

Leigh Betsch
12-31-2010, 10:47 PM
I like it! But where would I put all my tools? Right now I keep them all scattered out around the shop so I can look at them! If I put them in drawers I'd have to get more to fill up the bench top.

gary Zimmel
01-01-2011, 9:48 AM
I'm thinking that would be a real nice build thread to do.
Go for it Brian....

Jeffrey Makiel
01-01-2011, 6:18 PM
That looks nice.

I have a small shop which may preclude having a floor standing tool cabinet. Floor space is just too valuable. I'm guessing a lot of other folks have the same concern.

However, I can see this idea adopted into cabinets that are wall hung. And...leave the floor space for the heavy machinery.

Jeff :)

Chris Ricker
01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Hey Brian, check out WOOD Magazine, Nov. 2010 issue for a similar cabinet that I was planning to build. The plans are available as well.
Best of luck.
CR

Brian Kent
01-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I can't find it online so I'll check it out soon, Chris.

Mike Cutler
01-02-2011, 6:50 AM
Andy's tool cabinet is beautiful. I look at the photos in the "Toolbox" book often.
If I was going to copy a design for a standing cabinet, it would be his.
He's done a lot of work for you as far as coming up with correct dimensions, location and placement for logical access to tools and storage.
$20.00 for the plans would save a lot of head scratching and guesswork.

Ray Newman
01-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Brian Kent: here's a link to the tool chest featured in the November 20101 issue #201 of Wood Magazine (pp. 50-7):
http://www.woodstore.net/hetochwopl.html

You can buy the plans and download them directly to your PC.

The chests look similar, but to my eye, Rae's chest's appears to hold more as the top cabinet is not set back as is the Wood tool chest.

Brian Kent
01-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Well I ordered the plans from American Furniture Design. I checked off a box for a free design with it and they accidentally sent me the free design but not the tool cabinet plan. As I looked for the contact info, I found out it is located in Escondido, where I live now. I made a quick call and went over to Brian Murphy's home (which is also America Furniture Design). He showed me some of his work, gave me the plan I had ordered, and is a great guy. What a treat. He lives just a few blocks from the High School I went to.

BobW Robinson
04-05-2013, 6:51 PM
Hi Brian, did you ever get around to building the Andy Rae tool chest. I purchased the plans earlier than you but have only started to work on it. I have found errors in the plans and some information missing fron the text, plans, and cutting list. Just interested how you made out.