PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic vs Grizzly wood lathe

Ed Morgano
12-31-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm starting to look at getting a new lathe. I've been looking at the Powermatic 3520B and the Grizzly G0694. The powermatic is 2hp vari speed and the Grizzly is 3hp vari speed. The powermatic is 34 1/2 between centers and the Grizzly is 43 between centers. I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give on these two lathes. Thanks.

Tony De Masi
12-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Ed, I can only speak to the PM as I've never used nor seen the Grizzly you mentioned. You are correct in the specs you listed on the PM. If you wanted to turn a longer spindle you would have to get the bed extension. I've turned from very small stuff (pens) to a bowl that was 19" and 6" high. There is nothing that I've tried that I had to abandon because the lathe couldn't handle it. I'm not sure of the price of the Grizzly but the PM is really getting high. IF you end up leaning towards the PM I would find the best price you can and then call Sean at ToolNut.

Good luck.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm starting to look at getting a new lathe. I've been looking at the Powermatic 3520B and the Grizzly G0694. The powermatic is 2hp vari speed and the Grizzly is 3hp vari speed. The powermatic is 34 1/2 between centers and the Grizzly is 43 between centers. I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give on these two lathes. Thanks.

Ed,

The PM3520b has a great reputation, and a lot of guys have it and are happy. The extra capacity on the Grizzly is important if you plan on making furniture parts like bed posts, and longer spindles. I have not heard anything negative about the G0694, and it is a horse of a machine. It has a good price for a machine that size and power and includes an outboard feature.

I think if you are interested in a higher end lathe, and have available funds, then a Oneway 24/36 or a Robust American Beauty are great lathes, but they don't have as much distance between centers as the Grizzly G0694.

I would do a search for reviews on the G0694 to see what owners that have them have to say about the unit, and you can get a better idea. I have the G0698 and for the money so far it has been superb. If I am ever in the market again for another lathe, then I may consider a Oneway or a Robust American Beauty, but that day may never come, who knows.

Gary Max
12-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Go for the best and get a Mustard Monster. Best money I ever spent on a tool.

Richard Bell CA
12-31-2010, 5:53 PM
Ed:

As mentioned, do a search both here and on AAW forums for G0694, there has been a fair amount of discussion. I bought the Powermatic two years ago and would not hesitate to buy it again. The accessory bed extension adds 18", for a center to center distance of about 53". The sliding headstock is a very useful feature. In addition to the major specs, you need to look at some of the design features. For example, some have stated that the Grizzly has a solid spindle, which would preclude the use of a vacuum chuck (just what I read, I have not seen one to verify this).

Here is a video showing the 3520B and the use of the bed extension.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=28509

Good luck with your decision

Richard

Rick Markham
12-31-2010, 6:55 PM
Go for the best and get a Mustard Monster. Best money I ever spent on a tool.

I whole heartedly second this statement! By far the best money I have EVER invested in a tool. It's a dream machine for sure. There are options for bed extentions, some people have built their own to turn columns for porches, they sell a 50" bed extention (pricey) and an 18" bed extention. With the 18" it gives you a 38" outboard swing. (As Richard's video shows!) It's a well designed machine without a doubt. I love my Mustard Monster, and won't ever look back!

Jon Nuckles
12-31-2010, 7:20 PM
I bought the Grizzly G0698, but returned it because it refused to start most of the time and Grizzly couldn't fix it. I then bought the 3520B. The Grizzly was a lot of lathe for the money, but the smooth power, fit and finish of the Powermatic is far superior. I can't speak to the Grizzly you are considering, but I am very happy I went for the mustard. If you do go with the Powermatic, CSUSA matched the best price I could find online and threw in a $50 gift certificate to boot. Good luck with your choice.

David E Keller
12-31-2010, 10:01 PM
I considered the Grizzly shortly before buying a PM... I don't regret the choice. Sean at Toolnut was the best deal for me at the time, and you won't find better customer service anywhere. If you ever decide to change lathes, the PM seems to hold value very well if that's a consideration at all. Best of luck on the upcoming decision.