PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Jig(s)

Jim Eller
12-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Does anyone have any experiences with commercial hinge jigs such as the Jig-It from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2290&filter=hinge%20jig%20it or the the similar PeachTree version?

I'm looking for something simple and fool proof.

Thanks.

Jamie Buxton
12-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Seems real expensive. I make hinge jigs to be used with a router. They take about five minutes, and zero dollars. Here's a sketch. The top piece is plywood or mdf. The bottom piece is scrap anything. You can make the cuts for the opening in the plywood on the table saw. I make the back one with a plunge cut up. The recess in the scrap piece gets cut by the router bit the first time you use the jig. Thereafter it serves as an easy way to align the jig with your marks on the workpiece. It also serves to set the depth if you re-use the jig with the same hinges some time later. Like all router-based jigs, it does require that you square up the corners with a chisel.
I generally use this jig with a Bosch Colt. It has a square base, so it fits inside the U. But the same jig design can be used with a router that has a template guide, and sits on top of the plywood.

Jim Eller
12-31-2010, 2:32 PM
Seems real expensive. I make hinge jigs to be used with a router. They take about five minutes, and zero dollars. Here's a sketch. The top piece is plywood or mdf. The bottom piece is scrap anything. You can make the cuts for the opening in the plywood on the table saw. I make the back one with a plunge cut up. The recess in the scrap piece gets cut by the router bit the first time you use the jig. Thereafter it serves as an easy way to align the jig with your marks on the workpiece. It also serves to set the depth if you re-use the jig with the same hinges some time later. Like all router-based jigs, it does require that you square up the corners with a chisel.
I generally use this jig with a Bosch Colt. It has a square base, so it fits inside the U. But the same jig design can be used with a router that has a template guide, and sits on top of the plywood.

Jamie,

Two questions:

1 I take it the bottom piece is for making the edge of the hinge flush with the end of the door. How do you manage the depth(width) of the cut from the front edge? Is it just a calculation of the router base?

2 You are using the edges of the template to stop the cut length wise? I was thinking of using a bushing or for less figuring, a bit with a flush bearing.

These may seem like dumb questions but I'm old and confuse easily.

Thanks,
Jim

Greg Sznajdruk
12-31-2010, 3:43 PM
Jim:

This video should answer your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA-R9KKkI3s&feature=related

Greg

Jim Eller
12-31-2010, 4:27 PM
Jim:

This video should answer your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA-R9KKkI3s&feature=related

Greg

Thanks.

Looks to me like if I make the pattern the same size as the hinge I can use a pattern bit and use the pattern to square up the corners. ??

Jim

Greg Sznajdruk
12-31-2010, 6:30 PM
Jim:

Don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Good Luck

Greg

Keith Westfall
12-31-2010, 7:57 PM
You will still have round corners, unless you have one of those special 'square' bits... :)

Jamie Buxton
12-31-2010, 8:39 PM
1 I take it the bottom piece is for making the edge of the hinge flush with the end of the door. How do you manage the depth(width) of the cut from the front edge? Is it just a calculation of the router base?

Yes, the jig dimensions are calculated from the hinge dimensions and the router, however you are going to use it.

2 You are using the edges of the template to stop the cut length wise?

Yes.

I was thinking of using a bushing or for less figuring, a bit with a flush bearing.

You'd have to use a top-bearing flush cutter, and you'd need to make the template thick enough that the bearing contacts the template. It should work, but I don't mind a bit of calculation.

Jim Eller
01-01-2011, 3:25 AM
Thanks to all. I think I've got it.

Jim