PDA

View Full Version : Amana "Nova" Router Bit Insert System

Mark J Bachler
01-07-2005, 1:17 PM
This looks kinda cool. I'm getting the kit priced out to see how much.

http://www.amanatool.com/bits/ns_100.html

Convex or concave lower retainers that use the same shank & bearings that different carbide inserts attach to.

Has anybody used these?

Jim Becker
01-07-2005, 1:33 PM
'Haven't used them but am going to be interested in your thoughts. I think that insert technology is really a good idea, especially for production environments. Router bits are pretty much "disposables"; while you can hone them a little and maybe get some profiles "sharpened", they have a restricted life. Inserts should cost less than replacing whole bits over time and if you run a lot of abrasive material, such as plywood and composites...ching ching...

Greg Mann
01-07-2005, 2:50 PM
Insert technology is very good these days. It is just now making its way to router bit usage for several reasons. Developing good retention and location techniques for the rpms involved is very important. It is not an issue of safety as much as balance. On a big machine tool at 5 or 6 grand this is not a big deal, but in a handheld router at 25 grand it is. The advantages are significant, though, when you think about refreshing an edge in a few minutes without even taking the bit out of the router. Plus, carbide that is not subjected to brazing can be more precisely controlled for cutting edge qualities and there is the whole world of wear resistant coatings. I have some of Festool's inserted bits and have been very happy with their performance. They do not have the geometries that Amana is offering but do have some very common usage ones.

Greg

Mark J Bachler
01-07-2005, 2:56 PM
Yep we've used straight carbide insert tooling on our CNC machines for a few years now & saved money not only in tooling replacement but in set up times as well.

Insert technology is very good these days. It is just now making its way to router bit usage for several reasons. Developing good retention and location techniques for the rpms involved is very important. It is not an issue of safety as much as balance. On a big machine tool at 5 or 6 grand this is not a big deal, but in a handheld router at 25 grand it is. The advantages are significant, though, when you think about refreshing an edge in a few minutes without even taking the bit out of the router. Plus, carbide that is not subjected to brazing can be more precisely controlled for cutting edge qualities and there is the whole world of wear resistant coatings. I have some of Festool's inserted bits and have been very happy with their performance. They do not have the geometries that Amana is offering but do have some very common usage ones.

Greg

Steve Clardy
01-07-2005, 4:01 PM
Not yet. Would be interested in your findings though.

Norman Hitt
01-07-2005, 4:11 PM
Mark, I have "Both" the Concave and Convex Bits and every insert they offer, (unless they've added more inserts recently). I even have a 1/4" convex bit and have had them for over a year, but due to the unfinished shop and the past year's health problems, the only one I've used so far is one of the roundover bits. It worked perfectly and the balance must be ok, because I noticed absolutely no vibration and the cuts were smooth as glass. Hopefully I can get around to a project before long to use some of the others.

I hope they get popular so the price of the inserts can maybe come down a little, as I feel they are priced a little higher than some other brands/types of carbide inserts at the present. (Probably because of lack of competition as well), but I still feel that they will be a good value in the longrun even at their current pricing.