PDA

View Full Version : looking for cnc

Tom Klass
12-31-2010, 9:24 AM
I'm looking to purchase a smaller foot print cnc 24 x 36 working surface. I want to be able to to use PC 7518 router. I was going through the different threads the one day and came across one that a gentleman made and sold, I beleave his name was George but no matter how hard I look I can't find that thread or name of the cnc he offered. I have looked at Shopbot, Sidewinder,Cam, and some others. But I wanted more info on the one I read about.
Thanks in advance for any insight in this cnc or recomendations to a better model.
Tom Klass

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-31-2010, 10:48 AM
This George?

http://www.xzerocnc.com/

Ross Moshinsky
12-31-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.joescnc.com/

Probably the best bang for the buck router right now.

Dave Spitzer
12-31-2010, 3:47 PM
This CNC machine is also a fine choice http://www.finelineautomation.com/

Dave

John McClanahan
01-01-2011, 5:35 PM
Fine Line Automation has had some problems. There is a lengthy thread over at cnczone.com. Do your homework before ordering.

John

john blile
01-01-2011, 11:01 PM
check out camaster stinger good machine good bang for your buck

john

carlo mateo
01-04-2011, 8:23 AM
Also check zenbotcnc.com.. Im waiting for my 12x16 model. :D

Michael Simpson Virgina
01-04-2011, 6:24 PM
I would like to read about the problems on the Fineline cnc. I did a search and could not find any details. The zone has so many build logs its ver difficult to weed through the site. If you could link to the thread or at the very least the search words that yealded the thread it would be helpfull.

John McClanahan
01-04-2011, 7:31 PM
Michael,
I went to the zone to look for it, but was unable to locate it. I frequent the DIY CNC router forum, so I'm sure that's where it was. The post is a couple of months old by now. The title of the thread didn't indicate a problem, but a buyer was having a problem with Fine Line and paypal. I mildly came to Fine Line's defense when dealing with paypal and got flamed by several others. I contemplated a response, but after some inconsistent answers and unanswered e-mails by Fine Line to other posters, I just dropped it and moved on.

I don't have anything for, or against Fine Line Automation, and have never purchased anything from them.

John

Michael Simpson Virgina
01-04-2011, 9:07 PM
I dont have anything against them as well. I like reading about problem areas on CNC machines as it helps me avoid the same type problems in my builds. I use a lot of the CNCRouterParts.com components in my designs.

That said, every design and I do mean every one has advantages and disadvantages. Be it size, speed, types of materials it will machine as well as cost. There is no single machine that fits every need.

james mcgrew
01-05-2011, 7:53 AM
the small companies who build the kit machines are usually garage builders, and as such are problematic with cash flow problems and deposits are used to complete machines ordered long before the current ones. one of the company's mentioned has taken a year to deliver machines and claims volume problems.like micheal i read lots of these threads for educational value. for a first cnc experience if you are mechanically and tech savy this can be a lot of fun, be prepared to step away from the plans and get it finished on your own. for the shy or those of questionable experience this can be a nightmare of frustration if you go down the wrong or incomplete road!

Angie Orfanedes
01-05-2011, 8:13 AM
I built a FLA 100 design from Fine Line Automation, and the experience has been positive. The owner of the site/design (Nate) is sometimes slow to respond to emails, which is unusual in this era of instant everything. The machine is nominally 24 by 36 inches and works very well. I used Nate's design (available free on-line) and bought the required extruded 8020 aluminum from Ebay, cut, drilled it, and threaded a few holes. You can also buy the 8020 directly from Nate fully prepared for assembly for a few more $. Then I used the fastener kit, the ways kit, and the bearings, couplings, feed screws and nuts and miscellaneous bits from Nate (which arrived in less than a week by the way). I used a drive and motors from my first machine. The design is very good, and everything fits as it should.

The machine is rigid and cuts like a champ. The downside of this design is that the x axis ways are horizontal which allows debris to sit in the path of the bearings which support the gantry. These bearings then get coated with sawdust/stuff, and so they must be cleaned off. I built a simple attachment to hang a piece of clear plastic curtain over that area, which keeps it 95% clean. If you want pictures, they are posted over at CNCzone.com (under " 2'x3' Free Router Plans - All Aluminum and Steel, Completely Bolt together") - or pm me, and I will send them to you. If you are interested in this machine you should read this set of posts for the positive and negatives on this design.

However, if you want to start up hassle-free for more $, that Camaster Stinger sure looks good.

Angie

Mike Heidrick
01-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Only experience is my own. O ordered my 4-axis electronics kit from Nate at FLA 2.5 weeks before my R&P kit from Ahren at cncrouterparts. Ahrens set arrived 2 weeks before I got my 4 axis electronics kit from Nate. This was after I confirmed Nate's electronics kit was in stock and cables were available. After I paid, the cables were not available. Maybe it was just my luck? All my orders go to Ahren now.

I asked about a FLA rack and pinion 4X4 build before ordering the electronics kit. There was talk about a new revision of the FLA build/plans. New one came back lead screw as well.

Jerome Stanek
01-05-2011, 1:29 PM
The 32 inch Shopbot buddy is a nice unit. You can put a power stick on it and do longer stuff. If you look at the 48 inch buddy you can do 48X96 inch material with the power stick.