PDA

View Full Version : Griz g0490px?

Scott Baer
12-31-2010, 9:07 AM
just about to order a couple tools for the new shop...

G0453PX - 15" Polar series planer w/ spiral
G0490X - 8" parallel jointer w/ spiral

I would love to have the two match, but the jointer has not been released in the new Polar series. I was going to order today as it is the last day of the Christmas sale, but I am wondering if I should hold off till the new year to see if the jointer will be coming out in Polar colors.

any input?

Thanx in advance.

Paul McGaha
12-31-2010, 9:23 AM
Hi Scott,

Just my opinion but I wouldnt worry about the color. The G0490X has a lot of white in it anyway.

That looks to me to be (2) really nice tools in any case. Congratulations.

PHM

Scott Baer
12-31-2010, 9:55 AM
NUTS!! They are sold out of the Polar series planer shipment that was due to arrive Jan 5th!!!!!!!! I would have to wait until March 20 sumthin'! This happened just since yest afternoon when I called. That stinks!

Lesson to be learned. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! when the wife says ok, JUMP ON IT!

michael case
12-31-2010, 10:39 AM
Scott,

Take solace in this. I bought the G0490. Its great. But, Its only 8" wide. I have been kicking myself for not getting a 12". Time and again I'm ripping rough boards just to face joint them. Then I have to glue them up again after milling. I believe short 12" jointers are limited in their own right. So I went for the Length of the G0490. I wish I bought the Extreme 12" from Griz - which is both wide and long. Its a lot more money and its a beast. Lesson learned - if you have a 12" planer you need a 12" jointer to actually take advantage of it. If you have a 15" jointer and an 8" planer its even sillier. SO, don't feel bad! Maybe a 12" planer for less cost and 12" jointer is the way to go for you. I wish I had sprung for the 12" jointer and that's the truth.

glenn bradley
12-31-2010, 11:59 AM
NUTS!! They are sold out of the Polar series planer shipment that was due to arrive Jan 5th!!!!!!!! I would have to wait until March 20 sumthin'! This happened just since yest afternoon when I called. That stinks!

Lesson to be learned. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! when the wife says ok, JUMP ON IT!

I too have been a member of the "snooze-you-lose" club. Took about two slaps to the face before I stopped doing that anymore; bird in the hand and all that. Sorry for your missed opportunity.

As to the color; who cares. My shop is a rainbow; gray, green, yellow, orange. etc. It's not as if you were going to wait for the white drill press so the shop would look right when Home Beautiful Magazine dropped by :D. Don't get me wrong, a neat shop is a safe shop but color coordination means buying a brand for brand's sake and too many people make that one or two really great machines to get caught up in that.

I hope you get your gear real soon.

scott vroom
12-31-2010, 12:39 PM
if you have a 12" planer you need a 12" jointer to actually take advantage of it.

I have to disagree. I routinely plane after glue up (after scrapping off any excess glue first). Face plane first on the 8" jointer to get boards flat, glue up and then run through a 15" planer to final thickness works for me.

Scott Baer
01-03-2011, 3:44 PM
AHHH! Decided to not be so picky and jsut order the green. Just hung up with Grizzly. Not only did I lose the sale prices, but now we have the new and improved 2011 prices and they are not budging. Now I am so frustrated with the whole thing that I decided to bag it and wait for next sale.

what a moron!!