PDA

View Full Version : Screen shield or the normal plastic shield?

Carol Kinney
12-31-2010, 7:40 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm not only new here but also to wood turning so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. I’ve seen these shields made of screen instead of the plastic type normally found in the woodworking stores. I've also seen on this site where some use them while turning. To me I'd think it would give because nothing is supporting the sides to hold it in place (like a screen door or window). I really don’t like the plastic shields so just wondering if they hold the same protection.

Thanks for any help you can offer on this subject.

Scott Lux
12-31-2010, 9:20 AM
Welcome Carol!

I've seen the screen shields too, but only for use when chainsawing. I think they're sufficient to stop the sawdust hitting your face. I'm sure they won't stop a chunk of maple coming off at 1500 rpm. In truth, the normal plastic face shield is only going to spread the impact over a larger area. But that's often the difference between a break and a bruise.

Jim Underwood
12-31-2010, 9:58 AM
The screen shield won't stop the water (or super glue) that inevitably slings off a green turning either.... and then you'll be wiping the sap off your face.... Or trying to unglue your eyelashes... :p

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2010, 10:30 AM
I am with Jim on this. When you glue, put on finish or have wet wood you would get a face full with a screen or something broken when a piece flies off at 1000 rpm. I use a good a good respirator when sanding or turning for protection.

Michael James
12-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Carol, there are no stupid questions - especially where safety is concerned. The plastic face shields will deflect anything the lathe throws should you be in the line of fire. Whenever Im truing up, or the piece has bark or the looks like it might launch something - I use the faceshield. When Im down to 'smooth sailing' I will switch to Rx safety glasses. As Bernie mentioned, your eyes AND your lungs are worthy of protection.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Carol - anything you can do to protect yourself is a good move! A plastic faceshield will provide some protection and I highly recommend getting into the habit of wearing it every time you turn - especially when you are first learning! In addition - a good pair of impact resistant safety glasses will add yet another layer of protection while turning!

Carol Kinney
12-31-2010, 3:32 PM
What a great site, you guys brought up all the things I hadn't even thought of - trying to unglue my eyelashes is enough of an answer to stay with the plastic shield - LOL. I do use the plastic shield all the time now but just thought the screen would be cooler, but I'm glad I asked first. The mask is the one item I do need to work on, I'm really bad about using one. I even work with clay and glass so you'd think I'd know better!

Steve,
I've not considered using safety glasses under the shield as a second line of defense, I will definitely try it. Actually now is the best time for me to try to get comfortable with them, before the summer heat hits here in Florida.

Again, thanks for all the responses.

Carol

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-31-2010, 3:59 PM
I'm still getting over the mental image of someone spraying de-bonder on their eyelashes.
faust

Jim Silva
12-31-2010, 5:18 PM
Carol,
I've got both but have to say I prefer the plastic (I use a bionic shield). I'll use the mesh one if it's too humid or having fogging issues but mainly just use it for chainsawing. I find my vision is far better with the plastic shield as the little window in the mesh one is small and distorts easier also.

Jim

Jim Underwood
12-31-2010, 8:00 PM
The real thing to use is a forced air respirator like the Triton, Trend, or 3M. Use them with a peel off plastic shield. Then you don't have problems with it fogging in the winter, sweltering in the summer, breathing fine particles, or peeling CA glue off your face.... or even worse, a broken face.

Harry Robinette
12-31-2010, 9:17 PM
Carol
I blow up a 10 in. bowl in 2005 and sence then I've used a face shield, I also have lung problems. I took an old Aircap sold by Woodcraft back then and a Bionic shield
on line then and made a light weight possitive air pressure face shield I believe these systems are the way we should all go.They protect our face,eyes and lungs and they keep nice cool air blowing down your face.The big thing in getting use to not trying to blow the dust off so you can see the turning.

Carol Kinney
01-01-2011, 6:59 AM
Jim Silva, I was wondering about the mesh and your vision that would be a definite drawback for me. I like being able to see every detail while turning - I get jerked around enough with my catches - LOL.

Jim Underwood, I'm very interested in these systems (forced air respirator) and in a few months it'll be B-day time. I think I saw Richard Raffan using one, if these are the same thing. I'm sure they have a big Dollar sign after them but I think my lungs and eyes are more important. I'll be doing a little research but mainly asking all my turner friends here which brand they like the best. Thank you for the suggestion.

Harry, I've been very lucky not to have anything blow up on me but I'm sure it will happen and I do want to be ready when it does. So, were you able to make this? It sounds very interesting and I do lots of DIY projects - it's my pass engineering career of 25 years that keeps my wheels turning. LOL yeah I could see people trying to blow dust off with these on . . . man did it again, where's my air gun!

Thanks everyone this has been wonderful. With one question not only did I get that answered but now I have lots of other research to do!

Thanks and happy New Year to everyone!

Carol