PDA

View Full Version : Handle for drill bit

John Coloccia
12-31-2010, 7:02 AM
I see that people stick a drill bit in a handle so that they can drill holes in a workpiece chucked on the lathe (usually to establish a final depth). How do people keep the bit from twisting in the handle? Is it just a very tight fit, or do they grind a tang of some sort? Glue? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Thanks.

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 8:02 AM
John, the same applies for all handled tools - usually the fit is a tight friction fit, but if in doubt, a little dab of 5 minute epoxy works for me.

Dick Strauss
12-31-2010, 9:16 AM
You can always salvage an old drill chuck from a dead cordless drill, mount that in a wooden handle, and use that to hold your drill bit...

Greg Just
12-31-2010, 10:00 AM
I use epoxy to hold the drill bit. I rough up the drill bit with some 60 grit sandpaper and make the hole a little oversized to accomodate the glue.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Epoxy does the job. I do like Greg does. Rough it and then glue it.

bob svoboda
12-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Another vote for epoxy.

Ron Stadler
12-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Epoxy for me also, and if you want to make a cheap ferrulle that seems to work nice, just wrap it with mason string and rub super glue all over it or epoxy.:D Got this from Elsworth video.

Joe Herrmann
12-31-2010, 11:57 AM
I usually grind a couple of v-shaped notches on the shank and then glue it in with epoxy. Holds good.

David E Keller
12-31-2010, 12:04 PM
I just ordered a keyless chuck that I'm going to epoxy into a handle to hold drill bits. I'll also use it to hold Allen wrench hollowing tools for small hollow forms. I borrowed he idea from a poster on the IAP website.

Brian Weaver
12-31-2010, 3:04 PM
I picked up an inexpensive set of bits and then using some scrap wood I turned #2 Morse tapers so that they fit in the tail stock. I used just a bit of Gorilla glue to hold them in. I snapped a quick pic sorry it's a bit fuzzy.

Paul Douglass
12-31-2010, 3:50 PM
So my question becomes, why no mount the bits in a drill chuck mounted in the tail stock? Bowls to big and doing outboard turning?

John Coloccia
12-31-2010, 4:27 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

re: why not just mount in a tail stock
No real reason other than it's convenient to just drive it by hand to establish a depth as opposed to swapping out a center for a chuck, chucking the bit, driving it in, removing the bit and then swapping out for a center again.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-31-2010, 10:21 PM
I like to use 18" to 24" long drill bits. I Usually use either a 1/2" or 5/8" dia.bit. I just use a 10" vise grip and clamp it to a none fluted area of the drill bit. This holds the bit tight & makes a excellent side handle. I've drilled holes up to 32" deep with a bit extension using this method.

Michael Mills
01-01-2011, 10:34 AM
You can always salvage an old drill chuck from a dead cordless drill, mount that in a wooden handle, and use that to hold your drill bit...

I did the same with both a 1/4" and a 1/2" chuck. The 1/4" is shown. I made them to use one handle for a wide variety of shop made tools for lighter work. Easier to store one handle and six or so bits than entire tools. Also has the advantage of making a tool double ended if you wish.

Ron Stadler
01-01-2011, 2:56 PM
I usually grind a couple of v-shaped notches on the shank and then glue it in with epoxy. Holds good.

Good idea, I will do this on my next one.