PDA

View Full Version : New Tools, New Projects

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-31-2010, 5:26 AM
As a photoagrapher and artist I wanted to bring some of my artistic ideas into the 3D world. I started to build computer cases but found that I was anable to produce some of the parts I needed. It was takeing too long or the parts were not exactly what I had envisioned.

I decided to build myself a CNC machine to make the parts I wanted. I didnt want anything too large as I did not have any extra room in my basement workshop.

After a few attempts I had a small CNC that would produce consistant and acurate parts.

The first project I created on my CNC turned out to be the following clock.

As it started out as a prototype I used only scrap to make the parts. Well since I dont like thowing out anything I decided to actualy add the motor and paint the finished piece.

The Base (front and back) is made from some scrap particle board. It was painted silver then Barn Red, then Brown, then completely coated with Buf n Rub antique gold. It was sanded between each coat then sanded some more on the edges to let various levels of paint through. Then lastly a coat of Pitch Black Glaze was wiped on then off.

The gears were all cut from scrounged 1/2" MDF. They were painted with Rustolium Hammered Coper paint. (2 Coats)

The face was cut from a single piece of scrap 1/4" MDF then painted with Gold Ceramic Glaze. (3 coats)

The spacers between the front and back base plates are made from some old 1/4" dowel stock I had leftover from some other projects. The outside (the part that shows) is 3/8" copper tubing.

The only screws are the 4 brass screws holding the face, and 4 brass screws holding the motor and power cord.

The hands were cut from some scrap 1/8" hardboard.

The only tools used were my CNC, Jig Saw (To rough cut pieces of scrap before they were cut on my CNC), screw drivers of various sorts.

This CNC thing has really turned my head to what kinds of things I can now do in my shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlku01H8NnI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXKdjHTqNPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnN4w2PeGXs

Rick Markham
12-31-2010, 5:44 AM
Michael, That is absolutely amazing! Stunning project, to say the least!!! I don't suppose you would share your CNC design with us... I am really fascinated by them, and want to build a small one eventually.

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-31-2010, 6:04 AM
The first design shown here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcJHmpaC_yc

The new machne here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPcmBH4szjU

I built this machine from the ground up using my table saw, Chop saw, and jig saw. I created a full set of plans along the way but I want to create more than just a set of plans. I want to create step by step instructions. So I started writing the chapters. I have the first two chapters completed, but wanted to build a project from start to finish so I would have a better handel on using the cnc as an integrated tool in a home shop.

I took over a thousand photos and shot various videos in HD as I built this current machine.

The funny thing is I spent less on this machine than I did for my table saw.

I have a PC case project that was on hold until this CNC was built. I need to make set of sconce that will hold a piece of wood or smoked glass that will fold up if the DVD is ejected, and hide it when its not. Now I can continue that project.

Jon McElwain
12-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Best looking scrap particle board and MDF that I have ever seen! That is some amazing work on the home made CNC. I wouldn't even know where to begin on a project like that. Good luck on writing up the manual!

Christopher Stahl
12-31-2010, 1:32 PM
I would love to build a CNC machine like that. Just need some plans for one.

frank shic
12-31-2010, 4:23 PM
that makes all the jigs i've ever built look like child's play!!!

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-31-2010, 5:38 PM
If you visit the CNC zone forums you will get a lot of DIY machine snobery. You cant build a CNC machine thats not made of aluminum or steel. This is not true. This one proves it. I call this the Woodworkers CNC. Its a CNC built by a woodworker for a woodworker. Its designed to cut wood. It has two removable fences for wood placement and feeding.

Rick Markham
01-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Michael let me know when you complete your instructional creation, I would like to be one of the first to buy a copy from you. Great work, good looking machines!

Michael Simpson Virgina
01-02-2011, 2:05 AM
actualy I will want to give a few beta copies away for individuals interested in building this unit. I thinking of also adding a couple CNC projects like this clock to the book. And possibly a few computer case designes. I will probably include a CD with Gcode for the projects.

I just now put the finishing touches on "Chapter 2 The Stand". I just started "Chapter 3 The Table"

Bo McCorkle
01-02-2011, 2:54 AM
i am insanely interested being a machinist/programmer by trade!!!! That thing would be the cats meow in my basement beautiful work i must say. I have a ton of questions like what did you use for a controller(I noticed you mentioned FANUC G code) what kind of servos does it run on...... etc etc.... anywhoo love it. Nice work. I always figured something like a cnc was just out of my price range but this place has seemed to prove to me that once again all it takes is some inginuity and patience.

Michael Simpson Virgina
01-02-2011, 3:53 AM
I was going to build a larger 48x48 all Aluminum CNC So I purchased a controller, Motors and power supply that would work for a machine that size.

The Main Mechanical and electric components

Controller Gecko G540 (CNCRouterParts)
4 Stepper Motors 380Oz Nema 23s. (CNCRouterParts)
12 Amp Power Supply (CNCRouterParts)
Zero Backlash Shaft Couplers and 5 Start Lead Screws. (CNCRouterParts)
5 Start 1/2-10 ACME Screws. 2 for Xasis, 1 for Y Axis, 1 for Z Axis (McMaster Carr)
16 V Groove Bearings, 8 1/2" Bearings. (VXB)
The reason I mention these parts as they make of the bulk of the build cost. Currently you can purchase these components online for about $1300. They are the basic building blocks for most of the CNC routers being build. Even the larger 48x48 aluminum builds.

The remaining materials are all available form both local and online retailers. For instance the material used for the construction is Melamine laminated Particle board. It has several advantages over both MDF and plywood builds. A sheet of this stuff is only $34. That said the design supports any 3/4" or near 3/4" material.

I have a complete Bill of Materials down to every single Nut and Bolt. In addition to the book I am writing I will also include separate drawing files. I have even created laser cut cardboard templates that really helps in laying out the various boards to be drilled.

As I get closer to the book completion I will create a web site and put features, Details, Videos, Even some sample chapters. The site is aready earmarked and will be called www.krcnc.com (http://www.krcnc.com/)

FYI the reason i chose the G540 as it gives so a lot of bang for your buck. Its fool proof and darn near destruction proof. Its about as plug an play as you can get. On top of that you can control your router. On/Off and Speed. Homing switches, Probe, Tachometer

All of these I have working on this build. I also have a Xbox 360 controller hooked up for doing things when I don’t want to use the keyboard.

Rick Markham
01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
It's definitely ingenious Michael, I am seriously interested as well! Sounds like you have thought everything out pretty thouroughly!