PDA

View Full Version : Finials

John W Dixon
12-31-2010, 1:28 AM
I am about to purchase for my clubs turning library one of Cindy Drozda's dvds on turning finials. I would like to get one that has the most info on the cuts of the finial itself. For those of you that have viewed them which of her videos would you recommend if you could only purchase one.

Every time I read about her first video(Elegant Finials) the description always says its lacking in picture quality. How bad is it? Thanks.

Jim Burr
12-31-2010, 5:58 AM
I was going to pull the trigger on that one too, but heard the same thing John...part of the description from CSUSA:eek::eek::eek:

Dennis Ford
12-31-2010, 6:36 AM
I have watched several videos, that is the only one that I bought for myself. The video is not entertainment quality but the instruction detail is some of the best that I have seen. I highly recommend this video.

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 7:56 AM
Cindy Drozda is not an entertainer, for sure! Her voice is rather monotone, and most of her videos are "voice overs" in that the speaking she is doing while turning is not what you hear. She has gone back and "voiced over" the video. That is probably good, as she does add a lot of content. The video quality of Elegant Finials is not the greatest, but it is informative, particulary on technique.

She does not reveal a lot of her design philopsphy in any of her videos, as she seems to be very protective of that. There was a thread in another forum where a grouping of finial pieces was posted by an excellent and accomplished turner, titled "finial form group shot." Each piece had a beautiful finial, and the first poster commented "Your work is instantly recognizable." Cindy posted quickly, stating, "Yes, I would say that the work is instantly recognizable..... Looks like Cindy Drozda's signature work." It was noted by another poster that she did not invent the finial, or the form. She acknowledged that, and stated, among other things, that "I have no objection to copying."

So, as you might surmise, she is very protective of her work. You will learn a lot from her videos, but you will not learn her artistic take on proportions and form of the finial. She does touch on it, but you will need to develop much of that on your own.

Nate Davey
12-31-2010, 8:33 AM
Elegant Finials, in my opinion, is probably here best techniques video for how to use the detail gouge on finials, and more importantly, what can go wrong with the cuts and how to fix the mistakes. As stated, it's not Blueray, but I think it's the best technical video to start out with.

Ken Whitney
01-01-2011, 7:40 AM
I've never turned a real finial, but since I have started doing hollow forms I probably will at some point. I recently watched Cindy's "Finial Star" video (I have not seen the others) and it was very informative, both from a design standpoint and from a tool use/implementation standpoint. Even some light humor!

I agree with John about the somewhat monotone delivery, but a good cup of black coffee can overcome that.

Thom Sturgill
01-01-2011, 8:05 AM
I have her 'Fabulous Finial Box' and thoroughly enjoyed it. I includes a dimensioned drawing of the box and finial in a little booklet with tips.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2011, 11:00 AM
I have all of her DVD's but for finials her "Elegant Finials" is the best in my opinion. She explains all the cuts, tools she uses, sharpening techniques, etc. I have had no problems with any of her DVD's but as John said her voice is very monotone.

David E Keller
01-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I've got elegant finials as well, and it's long on technique. I'm not overly attracted to her finials in general, but the DVD is very informative.

Marc Himes
01-01-2011, 11:15 AM
I have the "Finial Star" video in which she demonstrates her tool usage on finials and on the lidded bowl as well as coloring techniques. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the subjects covered.

Marc Himes