PDA

View Full Version : Ya' gotta know your limits!

Roger Chandler
12-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Well, I turned my first ever funnel tonight! :eek: I decided to go try my new steady rest on a maple blank and was turning a smallish [think 5 -6 inches high] maple vase with a really nice form.

I just had to go back for those last two or three passes on the hollowing to smooth everything out, and get it nice and thin............well I was eyeballing it, and did not take time to measure with the calipers.........I mean, I had never went too far before, so whats the problem right?

Gee whiz! I was really liking this one, even though I was using the old hand held tools to hollow with..........I could just kick myself! :mad: Ya gotta know your limits, and I did not!

Now, I've got an egg cup for the bottom half, and a funny looking funnel for the top! :mad::D At least there was one positive............my shop made steady rest works like a charm!

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2010, 12:23 AM
Yup... Welcome to the world of hollowing!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Roger,

When the idiots here first pushed me into the Vortex, they had a funnel making contest just so I could past the hurdle. Welcome!

Don Alexander
12-31-2010, 3:29 AM
funnels are useful ...................... at least thats what i tell myself :rolleyes:

Jim Burr
12-31-2010, 5:56 AM
Funnels need love too...right?!

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 8:01 AM
Roger, normally pics are required for a post to be believable, but in this case, we believe you!!!;) And, I will note that while I am pretty sure the invention of the laser was for other purposes, surely, using it for turning HFs is one of the most useful purposes!!:D

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 10:12 AM
John & Steve,

Tell me, did either of you ever turn a funnel when hollowing? Be careful now, I want the unvarnished truth! ;)

Is turning a funnel a prerequisite for becoming a master in turning? I need something to encourage me :( and give me hope for the future, elsewise, I might just become disillusioned at my heroes in turning.

I think I must have gotten Norm Abrams advice backwards.........he said, "measure twice, cut once," I think I cut twice and did not measure :eek::eek::eek: so now at least I had better get set in my mind to use those calipers that I let just hang there on my magnetic strip on my turning cart.

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Roger you have just joined the club. I keep one above the lathe to remind me everytime I want to take one final cut.

Paul Douglass
12-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Square off the cut through parts glue on some contrasting wood, delete this thread and start a new thread announcing your first segmented hollow forum! No one will ever know.

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Roger, I have not made a funnel with a HF, but I sure did with a goblet!!:o I was trying to turn it ultra thin - and, was successful! The only thing holding it together was a single layer of wood cells. Apparently, it wasn't sufficient to withstand the spin of the lathe.:confused:

When I first started the hollow forms, doing them "pre-Monster rig", I was ultra careful. Also, the calipers can be very deceptive unless you measure across the thickness accurately. It is easy to have them at a slight angle, giving a reading of more thickness than is there. I actually used a depth gauge (just a dowel) moreso than calipers. Sound is also a great indicator of thickness. Pecking on the form with a metal object and listening for slight variations in tone. Takes a lot longer, but works.

Peter Fabricius
12-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi Roger;
Yes a funnel was in my past... probably also in my future.
I like Paul's suggestion and would like to see the really nice HF that you have in progress, it just needs a little TLC and an insert to become a final form.
I hope you try to fix it. Fixing little things like this are called "design opportunities"
good luck
Peter F.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Roger - in all honesty - I have not turned a hollow form funnel - yet. But there is a reason for that - I use a tenon to hold the work and when finished I always reverse and turn the tenon into a slight recess. No matter how thin the hollow form, hopefully, I leave enough wood at the bottom to allow for the recess.

I did turn a couple of bowls that when held to the light - you could see light through the bottom recess. Didn't go all the way through but scared me enough that I really try to pay attention when hollowing! Doesn't mean I won't turn a funnel at some point.... I just try to be aware of when the piece is getting to that dangerously thin phase!

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Paul,

I think the small size of this one, and the razor thin edge where I hollowed thru are not conducive to putting a contrasting ring on it to make it segmented, if I did it would have to be most of the body with a maple top!

John and Steve, thank you for admitting you have not turned a HF funnel as of yet :p:p............now I am feeling more aggravated at myself, because, as I supposed, it is NOT inevitable!:mad:

Bernie, if you were near, I might want to borrow a shoulder to cry on :D [just kidding] that piece did not mean that much! :D

Seriously.......I appreciate all your responses..........I am having fun on this forum! ;)

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Roger - one other thing to take into consideration - I use a laser! Once you get used to using one - you know where you are at all times while inside the form. Haven't used calipers for a long time - but I do have them!

Michael James
12-31-2010, 11:24 AM
I have a nice chunk of cherry with a great bark inclusion that shedded a neck - then decided it did not want to be a bowl either. So its on top of the pile for pieces that need other pieces. Lesser wood has just gone to the fireplace!

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Roger - one other thing to take into consideration - I use a laser! Once you get used to using one - you know where you are at all times while inside the form. Haven't used calipers for a long time - but I do have them!

Now, just like John K. cautioned me about, I am already getting impatient for my Monster Articulated Hollowing rig/with laser.......and I have only had it on order less than a week............sheesh! You guys put all these pics of such high end turnings, and you must just sit back and laugh........and think to yourselves..............suckers! :D:D:D

I think you are behind the power of the Vortex..........you help create its spin and sucking power, that makes all the other novices like me, empty out our wallets.........but there is one thing you should know.................we all love you for it!!:D:D;)

Alan Zenreich
12-31-2010, 2:23 PM
Roger,

It appears that turning funnels is sort of a right of passage. Welcome to the clan.

Because I had not done one myself, I was getting jealous of all the folk who had turned funnels.

It seemed like I was alone in the wilderness, in search of things funnelicious...

So a few months ago I did this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?141158

David E Keller
12-31-2010, 2:26 PM
Funnels! That's one of the few forms that I seem to excel at turning. Congrats on adding another form to your turning arsenal.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 7:09 PM
Funnels! That's one of the few forms that I seem to excel at turning. Congrats on adding another form to your turning arsenal.

Why David.......a man with the skilled hands of an orthopedic surgeon, such as yourself, excelling at funnel forms...........that is a surprise to me......or do the two skill sets have no bearing on one another? ;)

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 7:24 PM
Roger, I would be remiss if I didn't at least caution you - funnels are still possible with the Monster!! Do not, I repeat, do not lose track of the actual cutting edge of the tool as it relates to your laser. You must change the setting constantly depending on the location within the form, and the direction of your cut. As you are doing the side of a form, your laser will be directly off the front of the cutter as that is where you are cutting. But, as you approach the shoulder, you may be cutting with the left corner of the cutter, and that IS NOT where your laser is! There are many similar situations within a form while hollowing. Plus, you must constantly reset the angle and extension of the cutter and/or change the cutter head or size - again, depending on what is called for in the form.

Haste makes waste - take your time, and think about each phase of the hollowing. It will become second nature, but don't get lax.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 7:32 PM
Thank you John,

I am certainly a novice at hollowing, and I have boat loads to learn...........and those like yourself and Steve and the good-natured DR. Keller and others can certainly speak into my life related to these things. I have been having a good time on the forum with all the back and forth banter, and seeing the great items all the creekers have turned and posted.

If it would not be a imposition on your time, when I do get my Monster rig, if I do have some problems, may I have permission to send you a PM and get your instruction? I appreciate all you and Steve and others have done to further my turning skills...........they have helped me many times!

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 7:38 PM
Roger, anytime!! I have a vast amount of experience at screw-ups, and will happy to share those with you! Email may be better, but either will work.

Jeff Fagen
12-31-2010, 7:53 PM
There is a save for funnels,you can glue on a different kind of wood for the base portion and continue turning and everyone will believe you planed it that way.

David DeCristoforo
12-31-2010, 7:56 PM
Funnels... monsters... lasers... vortexes... Who, hearing these would think the discussion was about something other than a video game?

One thing I can tell you about Randy and delivery dates. They are, like the Ron Popeil "set it and forget it" slogan, not to be taken literally. This guy is a one man shop and he contracts out some stuff so it's easy for him to get a bit bogged down. Patience is the name of the game!

Mike Cruz
12-31-2010, 8:44 PM
Roger, I, unlike John will try to make the power of suggestion ring strong and true in your ear and mind...I saw no pics, it didn't happen, it didn't happen, it didn't happen...

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 9:16 PM
Roger, I, unlike John will try to make the power of suggestion ring strong and true in your ear and mind...I saw no pics, it didn't happen, it didn't happen, it didn't happen...

Okay Mike, I get it!

(edit - all photos removed at request of Roger so he may start a separate thread)

I think a repair would take most of the body, but it might be worth it.....I don't know? I have more of this maple, and I had planned a redo with a new blank, but we will see what develops from the opinions on this board.

okay, pics are moved to a new thread "pics of a stupid mistake" go there and view it, because it asks for action on your part!

David Warkentin
12-31-2010, 9:30 PM
Wow! I, too, have learned about funnels. A beautiful little osage orange bowl became a funnel. Every once in a while I set it where I can look at it from a distance and not see that hole. Still looks nice! David

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 9:39 PM
Roger, the logistics of trying to salvage this one will be tricky!! Might be a good time to consider a segmented feature ring?? I am not sure I would like a plain band around it.

You will need to be able to grasp the top half to turn a flat glue ledge, and Cole jaws should work for that. The bottom can be turned to a ledge easily, and in doing so, you could place the accent ring at the 1/3 mark from the bottom.

Just some thoughts.

David E Keller
12-31-2010, 9:51 PM
Why David.......a man with the skilled hands of an orthopedic surgeon, such as yourself, excelling at funnel forms...........that is a surprise to me......or do the two skill sets have no bearing on one another? ;)

I'm not sure how familiar you are with ortho surgery, but finesse is not a must-have! I use a hammer and power tools more at work than I do in my shop.:eek::D

JK is right about the monster... It will only make funnels less physically demanding if you don't keep track of the laser. DAMHIKT

Roger Chandler
12-31-2010, 9:55 PM
I'm not sure how familiar you are with ortho surgery, but finesse is not a must-have! I use a hammer and power tools more at work than I do in my shop.:eek::D

JK is right about the monster... It will only make funnels less physically demanding if you don't keep track of the laser. DAMHIKT

Thanks David...........it takes a bit of humility to speak of our less than stellar performances in this wood turning game! ;)