PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Blank as a Pen

James Combs
12-30-2010, 9:39 PM
I was at a craft fair the first Saturday of December and this fellow walks up to me and asks "can you make a pen out this". He was holding a 30-06 blank spent cartridge. It was a deshavu moment for me. Back in may at another craft show a lady walked up to me and asked the same question about the same size cartridge. Anyway, the fella said it was a round that had been fired in a military funeral for his brother and he wanted it made into a pen as a memorial of his brother. He wanted it made out of Deer antler.

Here is the result.

Material = deer antler (found locally as a shed antler)
Hardware = Kit-less (Used components purchased from Wood-N-Whimsies - Cigar type transmission, Parker style refill)
Cartridge = 30-06 Blank. (It is a little short because the crimp causes cracks in the neck and I trim it back to get rid of them)
Bullet = 155.5 grain match grade FMJ.
Finish (Antler) = 6 coats of CA polished with Triple E
Finish (Case) = Polished with Triple E

Note the antler on the lathe. The top of the bottom curve is the void area on the pen under the clip. I prefer to show a little of the natural surface of the antler, otherwise it looks like a piece of Corian or some other similar material.

Edit: I need to take a look at the color balance of my camera. For some reason the antler has a pink cast in the photos but not in real life.

Russell Eaton
12-30-2010, 9:49 PM
First class job on the pen. I still can't get used to the smell of the antler, but I don't let it stop me. I really like the outside "bark" of the antler showing through.

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Really good looking pen! Great job on figuring everything out and building it! Your customer is going to really appreciate this! Nice job!

Paul Douglass
12-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Nice looking cartridge pen. Looking at your picture of the antler mounted on the mandrel I don't understand why the long spacer on the right side. Is that just to give more room to work? Like you I prefer "Bark" left on the antler if possible. Nice work.

James Combs
12-31-2010, 2:48 PM
Nice looking cartridge pen. Looking at your picture of the antler mounted on the mandrel I don't understand why the long spacer on the right side. Is that just to give more room to work? Like you I prefer "Bark" left on the antler if possible. Nice work.

For this pen I used a non adjustable mandrel. The spacer is just that a spacer to take up some of the mandrel length.

Peter Fabricius
12-31-2010, 3:41 PM
Hi James;
I really like the pen. The combination of real antler and real cartridge and bullet makes it all come together.
A question about the 30-06 Blank. You mention that the casing is a little short. When you remove the crimped blank end of the casing is it not the same length as a regular casing?
On the antler, I too prefer to get some of the bark to remain on the finished barrel. The trick is to be able to drill the raw antler so some bark will remain on and not so thin that you cut through to the hole inside. I bring my raw antler into round between centres and by doing that you can position the piece so there will be a good chance of getting the bark to show and still not cut through the side.
After the piece is rounded between centres I drill on the lathe for a straight and accurate hole.
We had a discussion, in another forum, about where to place the bark, under the clip or visible when holding the pen. The greatest number of respondents liked it best with the bark showing beside the clip when holding the pen as you would for writing with it.. Just a comment.

Nice work on the Cartridge pen.
Peter F.

Peter Hay in Aus
12-31-2010, 4:21 PM
James, thank you for your narrative and response to the challenge of the 30-06, your reasoning, choice of Antler, bullet, shaping. I have as well long felt features on the pen top are best positioned near to or right angles from the clip after all to single out a feature then hide it does not compute. It is New Years morning and we are to my Sisters for New Years breakfast so I have just received an edict from SWMBO time is of the essence. Let me say to Peter above thankyou for your considered reply with your own helpfull suggestions. Where I live we have different thoughts on Cartrige Pens with Antler, may I congratulate James for his thoughtfull pen that stirred me with both the approach and commission, presentation. all suffer colleywobbles with colour balance but clearly the first pic does not.
I have a huge number of plans,designs coming towards making after some many months of health challenges.

To you of the forum all have a happy New Year. Kind regards Peter.

James Combs
12-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Hi James;
I really like the pen. The combination of real antler and real cartridge and bullet makes it all come together.
A question about the 30-06 Blank. You mention that the casing is a little short. When you remove the crimped blank end of the casing is it not the same length as a regular casing?
On the antler, I too prefer to get some of the bark to remain on the finished barrel. ...
Peter F.

Case Length - Peter F. I have a supply of fresh reload 30-06 brass and the blank WITH the crimp is the same length as the fresh brass. After removal of the split crimp the blank is about 1/4" shorter. I like your idea of turning the antler round first. I used my drill press and crossed my fingers.:eek:

James, thank you for your narrative and response to the challenge of the 30-06, your reasoning, choice of Antler, bullet, shaping. I have as well long felt features on the pen top are best positioned near to or right angles from the clip after all to single out a feature then hide it does not compute. It is New Years morning and we are to my Sisters for New Years breakfast so I have just received an edict from SWMBO time is of the essence. Let me say to Peter above thankyou for your considered reply with your own helpfull suggestions. Where I live we have different thoughts on Cartrige Pens with Antler, may I congratulate James for his thoughtfull pen that stirred me with both the approach and commission, presentation. all suffer colleywobbles with colour balance but clearly the first pic does not.
I have a huge number of plans,designs coming towards making after some many months of health challenges.

To you of the forum all have a happy New Year. Kind regards Peter.

Antler Bark Orientation - Peter H. The finial is removable and will allow the clip to rotate around the barrel. When the customer picked up the pen I showed him that feature and allowed him to orientate the clip to his liking. I put the bark at the side as I remember. Looking forward for the results of your number of plans. Keep us posted.