PDA

View Full Version : Glitter and Saranwrap stamped 11" maple

Bob Bergstrom
12-30-2010, 7:18 PM
If you get past all the glitz the curve on this maple bowl is about as good as I get. The wood is maple (I have a lot of it with little figure). It is about 11" across and 3 1/2" deep. The base coat is silver. That is followed by Walmart candy color metalic rattle can lacquer(blue and purple), leaving the silver show in a band around the waist of the bowl. Glitter is sprinkled on after a wet coat of clear lacquer. I then crumpled up some saranwrap and wrap tape around it. I cut the tip off the saranwrap and make a stippling brush out of it. I stamped gold and silver paint around the bowl. That was followed by blue and red stampings over the gold and silver. All was followed by multiple coats of clear and sanded back to 600 grit. A last coat brings up the gloss.

David E Keller
12-30-2010, 7:30 PM
The form is great, and I like the blending of the pink and blue. The stippling is not my cup of tea, but it sure looks like you had some fun with it.

Thom Sturgill
12-30-2010, 8:04 PM
Bob, that's excellent form, but while I am experimenting with color and other embellishment, that pushes it too far for my taste. Maybe without the stipling and glitter.

John Keeton
12-30-2010, 8:12 PM
Bob, you are right - the form is dead on!! These "out of the box" embellishments are what take a piece of wood from a nice bowl to an object of art! And, in that, there are no limits!

I like the effect, though I wonder what it would have looked like if the stippling was done with just silver.

David DeCristoforo
12-30-2010, 8:21 PM
I hate to have to say this but the "stippling" really looses me. I love the form and the "paint job" including the "glitter". I also really like the way you color the outside of these pieces and leave the inside "au natural". But on this one, for me anyway, the stippling just detracts from the effect. Sometimes it's hard to know when to leave well enough alone.

James Combs
12-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Really nice form but I prefer the a-natural finishes.

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Really nice form and I do like the colors of the bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Bob - the form on this bowl is great! Seriously - love the form! Have to admit to a certain shock factor when first seeing all the colors on this bowl but - the more I look at it, the more I like the unique qualities! Can't say I'm 100% sold on all the bright paints and glitter - but it is wearing on me!

Definitely different and am very impressed with the form! Looking forward to seeing what's next! I know it will be a surprise! :D

Bob Bergstrom
12-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Gotta admit it took me a while to warm up to it, but the longer I looked the more it started to grow. I have a brother who is a retired art teacher. I have none of his abilities so my stuff is hit or miss. I don't know where my ideas may lead me and I really don't have a game plan. As we say the fun part of turning is experimenting with shapes and finishes. If the bowl has good figure to it I will let it be. This wood does not have much character so I experiment with color. Both of these bowls are gone from my house (wife's relative took both).