PDA

View Full Version : Help with Byrd Shelix installation for Griz G0490

scott vroom
12-30-2010, 6:47 PM
I purchased the Byrd Shelix cutterhead for my Griz G0490 jointer. Bearings were not included in the shipment and I'm wondering if I'll need to buy bearings before installing. Also, will I need a bearing/wheel puller to remove existing bearings? Any advice appreciated.

Kent Chasson
12-30-2010, 7:32 PM
I can't say for sure with that specific jointer but on my Jet, I did need a gear puller and seem to remember needing to grind the ends to get it to fit in the tight space. (So borrowing one from a friend may not be a good idea).

No need to replace bearings unless you damage them in removal but I would check the cost and consider doing it if the jointer has seen a lot of use. Now is the time while the machine is apart.

Chip Lindley
12-30-2010, 9:31 PM
Short answer: Yes and Yes.

It would be a time-saver to have new bearings already mounted on your Shelix head when ready to make the changeover. Bearings being pulled are often damaged if the outer race is used for pulling the bearing. You may pull it off, (pun intended) but always that chance.

Bearings for that machine are cheap enough. (6004-2RS, 6005-2RS, or equivalent) Same or better quality online; cheaper than Grizzly pricing with shipping. VBX is a good source. Or Call Lynn at Accurate Bearing. Or buy locally, from a bearing or automotive supplier.

Enjoy your Shelix cutterhead!