PDA

View Full Version : Ordering three new machines... need help on one.

Kerry Kling
12-30-2010, 6:17 PM
Need a refresh on some shop items. I'm just about to hit the order button on a few Grizzly machines...

G0690 Tablesaw
G0604ZX 6" Spiral cutterhead Joiner

However, here is the rub: Bandsaw...
This is the one I was going to order:17" G0513X2B (backordered until May)
So now I'm back to downsizing to the 14" G0457. Or, jumping up to the bigger 19" G0514X2 saw with a foot brake, or the G00514X2B motor brake.

It will be used mostly for scroll work, cabinet bottom feet, furniture legs etc. Re-sawing will be secondary. I know the 14" would probably suffice. However would prefer the brake, the beefiness of the larger machine. Is the 19" way overkill or is bigger better? Manual brake vs motor brake?

I've researched the best I could but would like to hear what you guys have to say... 14", 19"...? I'll probably go with the most votes from this thread. Or flip a coin :)

Thanks for any help.

Matt Day
12-30-2010, 6:43 PM
I'd go with the bigger machine if you can afford it. You'll be ahead in the end if you step up to the bigger machine now instead of buying again later if you want to upgrade.

Maik Tobin
12-30-2010, 6:44 PM
I was faced with the same situation a few months ago when I went to order the 513x2b. It was on backorder til end of December. I did not want to wait so I considered the same two you are thinking about. After agonizing and even looking at other brands, I finally decided to wait. As a matter of fact, my 513x2b was delivered today, and I am glad I waited. I plan to have this saw for a long time, so it was worth the wait.
Also, 6 months ago, I took delivery of a GO690 table saw. I bought the slider as well and I love the saw. You will be very happy with it, I am sure.

Mark Ashmeade
12-30-2010, 6:50 PM
G0513P. You can always change the bearings & fence later if they don't please you. I am very happy with mine vs the 14" iron saw it replaced.

Van Huskey
12-30-2010, 7:36 PM
For me the G0457 is not the normal Grizzly value for money compared to the other 14" steel spined saws available so I just don't see it as a contender. I prefer foot brakes to motor brakes and would probably just go for the 514.

Kerry Kling
01-01-2011, 9:21 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. Sorry I haven't responded, my internet has been down for a few days.

Back to the task at hand...

A little research is a dangerous thing. I took a ride to a friend's shop who has an older model Grizzly 24" bandsaw that is used strictly for re-sawing. I had the Grizzly catalog in tow so I could measure and scale the 513X2 & 514X2 against his... the 514 is close enough in size that I realize its waaaay too big for my needs or shop (24' x 28'). His saw has a pedal brake with micro switch that I especially like when your cutting in front of the saw so you don't have to reach around for the off button... just hit the pedal... nice. Just nice knowing that option is there in a pinch for whatever reason. Decided I want a pedal brake... so the Grizzly 513's are also out.

Back to the drawing board and came up with the Laguna LT 14 SUV. 3hp, pedal brake, etc. Only thing that bugs me is the low table height (34") compared to the Grizzly 457 (42") or 413 (37"). I could always put it on a riser. Now that it's down to a 14", any other contenders that have the bells and whistles the Laguna has?

The Grizzly joiner is a lock. Now on to the tablesaw...

Right now I'm using my 35 year old Unisaw with a Unifence and Jessem Mast R Slide. Its getting a little long in the tooth (like me), just replaced the switch. The action is getting a little sloppy etc. I'm going to make it strictly a crosscut saw with the Jessem sled and then oppose it to the new saw and have a center island act as outfeed table for both.

I'm having second thoughts on the Grizzly G0690. I've read enough slighted things as I've read good things about it. Seems hit or miss on the quality. Other thing that troubles me is the lack of a thin kerf riving blade... is this true?

I went back to consider my other two contenders: the new style Unisaw and PM2000. I noticed the Unisaw's price just jumped up again (missed the end of year sale I guess) but the Powermatic's price is holding it seems. I also find the new setback of the Unisaw's blade being farther away from the front of the table another two inches a bit of a strain on my back clearing boards past the blade. Looks like the G0690 has the same blade setback (?) So... Unisaw out, Powermatic in... sort of.

Can anyone tell me how the effort and smoothness of the up & down/tilt trunnion action of the Grizzly compares to the PM2000? Or any vibration issues they may have? I'm not doing nearly as much production as I used to but I still do appreciate quality. Only thing holding the Grizzly in my head is the less than half price of the PM. Can the PM be that much better... or the Grizzly suck that much? I've used the PM2000 in another shop and liked it. I have no experience with anything Grizzly so I'm a little apprehensive. Enlighten me...

Mike Metz
01-01-2011, 9:35 PM
I have the g0555 then upgraded to the original g0514.. since getting the 514 i never use the little one anymore.. the 19" cutting capacity and the 2hp motor are awesome. the saw never struggles for any cuts.. only wish they had all the extras when i bought it as they do now.

Jim O'Dell
01-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I have the 691 and it is a great saw. I've never used the PM2000, but have looked at them several times. It is true that Grizzly doesn't have a thin kerf knife. But not sure why you would need to run TK blades with the 3 hp motor. I do have a WWII 30 tooth TK that is so new, I'd like to be able to use it. But a new, high quality full kerf 24 rip blade would only cost me about 55 bucks, so not sure if a TK knife would even be worth it. I have thought about cutting my guard down and having it ground down to be a TK knife. Not sure what that would cost. Jim.

Dave MacArthur
01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
19" G0514X2

--Rethink your band saw decision, that 514x2 with the footbrake is the SWEET spot for band saws. It takes up no more space in a shop than a 14" delta. After 2 years of research I decided on the 514x2. Ended up getting a 20" Agazzani due to some craigslist luck, but I'm a big fan of the 514x2. I've got a 14" delta and the 20"Agazzani, and they both take up the same space in the shop when it's said and done, one just looks larger while doing it.

The Laguna 14 LT SUV is nice, but I'd rather have the 19" Grizzly, the larger tables are nice as well as the rack/pinion table support and adjust, and I'd trust the customer service if needed, far more.

G0691 10" 3HP 220V Cabinet Table Saw with Long Rails & Riving Knife (http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3HP-220V-Cabinet-Table-Saw-with-Long-Rails-Riving-Knife/G0691) is the table saw I'd get from Grizzly.

Matthew Hills
01-01-2011, 11:24 PM
The higher table on a band saw is nice for the scroll work and legs that you are planning; the lower table is nice for resawing. Big table is nice, and really wished I had a bigger one when working with log chunks. But table of a 14" saw is generally fine for working on pieces. The wheels on my 14" saw stops relatively quickly compared to the wind-down time I've seen on bigger saws.

I'm curious why you are thinking of a getting a large bandsaw but are then picking out a 6" jointer with spiral head?

If you place your order with grizzly now, are you able to cancel prior to it shipping? Might want to just go ahead and do this, and then keep an eye out on craigslist for good deals on alternatives.

Matt

Jim O'Dell
01-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Ok, here's a solution...get the Griz G0690, take the extra money you would have used to go to the PM 2000, add it to the Griz Bandsaw money, and see if you can get a Mini Max MM16. You'll be set. :D Jim.

Kerry Kling
01-02-2011, 12:21 AM
I have the 691 and it is a great saw. I've never used the PM2000, but have looked at them several times. It is true that Grizzly doesn't have a thin kerf knife. But not sure why you would need to run TK blades with the 3 hp motor. I do have a WWII 30 tooth TK that is so new, I'd like to be able to use it. But a new, high quality full kerf 24 rip blade would only cost me about 55 bucks, so not sure if a TK knife would even be worth it. I have thought about cutting my guard down and having it ground down to be a TK knife. Not sure what that would cost. Jim.

Good point. I have a half dozen thin kerfs in rotation because my Unisaw is one of those high torque 1.5 hp Rockwell motors. Never had much of an issue with power but the thin kerf helps. Yeah, I think I'm going to hold the course and see how the 690 is.

Kerry Kling
01-02-2011, 12:30 AM
19" G0514X2

--Rethink your band saw decision, that 514x2 with the footbrake is the SWEET spot for band saws. It takes up no more space in a shop than a 14" delta. After 2 years of research I decided on the 514x2. Ended up getting a 20" Agazzani due to some craigslist luck, but I'm a big fan of the 514x2. I've got a 14" delta and the 20"Agazzani, and they both take up the same space in the shop when it's said and done, one just looks larger while doing it.

The Laguna 14 LT SUV is nice, but I'd rather have the 19" Grizzly, the larger tables are nice as well as the rack/pinion table support and adjust, and I'd trust the customer service if needed, far more.

G0691 10" 3HP 220V Cabinet Table Saw with Long Rails & Riving Knife (http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3HP-220V-Cabinet-Table-Saw-with-Long-Rails-Riving-Knife/G0691) is the table saw I'd get from Grizzly.

I'm hearin' ya loud and clear. :D Value wise doesn't make sense not to get the bigger 514X2. I'm just not seeing the need, though I may grow into it and find other uses. How do these bigger saws handle smaller blades for doing scroll work and curves?... seeing that they are used mostly for resawing. Any issues with tracking a narrow blade on a big wheel?

Kerry Kling
01-02-2011, 12:57 AM
The higher table on a band saw is nice for the scroll work and legs that you are planning; the lower table is nice for resawing. Big table is nice, and really wished I had a bigger one when working with log chunks. But table of a 14" saw is generally fine for working on pieces. The wheels on my 14" saw stops relatively quickly compared to the wind-down time I've seen on bigger saws.

I'm curious why you are thinking of a getting a large bandsaw but are then picking out a 6" jointer with spiral head?

If you place your order with grizzly now, are you able to cancel prior to it shipping? Might want to just go ahead and do this, and then keep an eye out on craigslist for good deals on alternatives.

Matt

Hi Matt, only considering the bigger saw because of the bang for the buck. If Grizzly made a Euro style 14" with a brake I'd be all over it. I think the 0457 would probably fill my needs, but when you consider the 0513X2 is only $100 more... its a no brainer (don't understand the price differential on these two). Now take it from there... for $400 more than the 0513X2 the 0514X2 is even bigger. Better, larger tilting table, more hp, pedal brake, etc. So you see... I can't stop the insanity. ;)

Had a Delta DJ20 joiner that went with my old partner to his new shop a few years ago. I've been getting by with an old 6"X46" Powermatic joiner since then. I really only use the joiner for straightening and cleaning up edges of pieces already cut to shorter lengths for cabinet work. I don't need a wider joiner. The newer Grizzly is a bit longer and figured I'd give the spiral cutter a go.

At this point in the game I'm basically done with the constant production grind, I'm downsizing for my retirement shop. :)

Cary Falk
01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Get the G1023RL instead of the G0690 and off set the extra cost of the G0514X2.

Burt Alcantara
01-02-2011, 11:15 AM
I went from a G0555 to a G0514X2. I cut logs. With the 14" I got a lot of deflection. Sometimes, with heavy logs, the saw would almost tilt over. The the 514, I cut the logs with a 1" Lennox blade that cuts like butter. The table is large, the saw is heavy. Don't have a single problem. Bearings are far better as is dust collection. If I had the room in the shop, I would have kept the 14" saw for more delicate work and avoiding having to change blades. The 514 can take 1/8" blades. The 0555 can take 1/16" blades.

G0514X2 -- highly recommended

Norman Hitt
01-03-2011, 6:30 AM
I'm sure NOT one to tell you how to decide what SIZE to buy, seeing as how 7 years ago I had accompanied my wife to Austin. Tx for a meeting she had there and it was my 65 th Birthday. I had most of the day to kill by myself, so I thought I would go to Woodcraft and maybe buy myself some little present. Well, I bought a few small items but didn't really see much that I needed at the moment OR that really turned me on so I left with lots of time left to kill. I suddenly remembered that MiniMax was located close by and I had been wanting to see the MM 16 in person, soooooo... about a mile or so later I walked in and said I want to SEE a MM 16, do you have one? The nice lady said, we sure do and I'll get someone to take you back there.

Sheesh, what a candy store. I'm sure they had to wipe down the drool off of every tool they had there, (but they were nice and didn't complain). I'm sure they could sense that after that tour my resistance was probably at an all time LOW and they just needed to let me wander around and drool a little more until I talked myself into something).:rolleyes:

They sure had me pegged right, 'cause shortly afterward, I walked out to go pick up my wife for lunch with a BIG GRIN on my face while I concocted up a really cool reply for when she would ask, "so what did you do this morning". I decided I would very casually say, Oh I bought myself a couple of little birthday presents. When she asked what I got, I would show her the $5 ea (on sale) router bits, four bags of "T" nuts and THEN the "sales ticket" for the "MM 20" Bandsaw and 1" Trimaster Blade.:D (in hindsight, I should have got the MM 24 while I still had the money to afford it), but then I probably couldn't have got the FS-350 and Mortiser attachment that she suggested I get, when we went to pick up the Bandsaw.:rolleyes: Like I said, you don't Really want ME to tell you what size to buy, do you?:D

Oh yes, her response to my Cool Morning Report was; a big laugh and then, "Well, since you had the most fun this morning, I guess YOU get to buy Dinner tonight and I pick the Restaurant. Note; (She did NOT pick Mc Donalds for dinner):D

Have Fun Shopping.

Michael Schneider
01-03-2011, 9:02 AM
Kerry,

I understand time is money for some, and ordering a new item is predictable and painless.

I picked up an old delta 10" bandsaw for scrolling.

It is very beefy and built like there 14", but scaled down. I am still building a stand for it.

Have you thought about something like that? I don't know if anyone still builds a nice beefy 10" saw today. Does anyone know of a current model like the old delta 10" band saw?

This one is decades old.

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=163

Good luck,
Mike

Kerry Kling
01-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I figure today is the day I make up my mind and just order something... right.

At this point in time I'm settled on the larger Grizzly 514X2 bandsaw and the G0604ZX 6" joiner.

I'm still tormented on the tablesaw. In one post Cary Falk suggested the 1023RL. I skimmed right past that saw because I thought it didn't have a riving blade... it does. With a quick release toggle no less. It also has a different trunnion system which seems to resemble the PM2000's design. So now that saw is in the mix along with the 0690 and the PM2000. I'm reading reviews on the two Grizzly options all over this morning which can be a mistake... as all I see are the horror stories... warped tables, shimming, vibration, inserts that don't lay flat, excessive rust etc. About all I can find bad on the PM is that you may not like the color of metallic mustard.

My gut says PM2000, my wallet says 1023RL and get a new two stage cyclone dust collection system with the difference.
:confused:

Cary Falk
01-03-2011, 10:42 AM
The 1023RL also has a blade shroud. I have one and am quite happy with it. I did have an non-flat insert (they sent me a ZCI for my troubles) but none of the other stuff you mention. I did a review on the Creek of it back in August or September.

Joe Leigh
01-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Here's the review that convinced me on the Powermatic PM 2000 along with the great things many here had to say
The owner of this site is a fellow Creeker.
Scroll down and check out the video at the end.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm2000rvu.html

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 4:19 PM
I admit the PM2000 is a good bit more money but that was my choice and I would do it again. It has been a pleasure to use.

Kerry Kling
01-03-2011, 4:41 PM
Here's the review that convinced me on the Powermatic PM 2000 along with the great things many here had to say
The owner of this site is a fellow Creeker.
Scroll down and check out the video at the end.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm2000rvu.html

Your post is perfect timing. Right after my last post this morning I ordered the PM2000. Found a great deal from ToolZone... free shipping with lift gate. So... table saw out of the way.

After I ordered the saw I turned my attention back to Grizzly. I called to check stock on the 514X2... it's back ordered. Should have ordered it last week. Oh well, snooze you lose. Pretty much thinking thats the one I want so I'll put that off for a bit.

Still going with the joiner and since the bandsaw won't happen for a while I'm thinking about a dust collection system. The one I had for the past thirty years was a broom and dust pan. I figure its time. Does anyone have experience with the new Grizzly G0703 dual stage cyclone? Suppose to be really quiet. I need something for the two table saws, joiner, planer. Not at the same time of course, maybe just one or two small portable (G1163's) and wheel them a round for each task?

Moving right along...:D

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 4:47 PM
Does anyone have experience with the new Grizzly G0703 dual stage cyclone? Suppose to be really quiet. I need something for the two table saws, joiner, planer. Not at the same time of course, maybe just one or two small portable (G1163's) and wheel them a round for each task?

Moving right along...:D

Ask in a separate post over in the Workshop forum and you should get plenty of opinions on that and other cyclones.

Paul McGaha
01-03-2011, 6:14 PM
Congratulations Kerry.

Sounds like you are going to have some new toys soon.

PHM

Paul Johnstone
01-04-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm hearin' ya loud and clear. :D Value wise doesn't make sense not to get the bigger 514X2. I'm just not seeing the need, though I may grow into it and find other uses. How do these bigger saws handle smaller blades for doing scroll work and curves?... seeing that they are used mostly for resawing. Any issues with tracking a narrow blade on a big wheel?

I have a Rikon 18" Bandsaw (great saw, BTW) Using a Carter Stablizer really helps on 1/4" blades when making scrolling cuts. You have to take off the upper bearings and swap it, but that's quick and painless. I have not tried smaller blades on the Stabilizer, but I believe other people have. I am not sure if they make a Carter Stabilizer for Griz BS or not.
If you are doing primarily scroll work on a larger BS, I would definitely get the Carter.

Kerry Kling
01-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Bandsaw revisited...

So after a couple of days of getting the tablesaw and joiner purchases out of the way... and out of my head, I've been able to refocus on the bandsaw. I think there was a reason the 514X2 was backordered on me... I don't need it. Simply put, anything bigger than a 14" is overkill for my needs. I kept climbing the ladder of size and features because of price points. Clearly that way of thinking makes sense if you resaw. This will be a one trick pony though and in my case less is more. It will be in the corner setup to walk over to and carve out scrolls and curves out of 3/4" material for cabinet bottoms, legs etc. It will also be on wheels to move out as I need it, and back again out of the way... resawing maybe on a rare occasion.

So all this narrows things down to two saws...
The Grizzly 0457
Powermatic

Both priced about the same, and where I want to be, so Laguna is out. One is steel frame, the other cast iron. Both weigh about the same. Table heights are 42" compared to 37" on the bigger saws... better height for smaller detailed work. Powermatic comes with free riser, light, dust blower (don't know if any of this matters). Powermatic seems to have a better guide setup...? I think there is a free shipping lift gate offer as well with some dealers. PM seems a little more stout...?

Again... it will be a one task saw. Maybe just go with a color preference? If I go with the Grizzly it will match the new joiner. The Powermatic will match the new saw..LOL.

Cary Falk
01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I have the G0513X2 and I would never go back to a cast iron BS with a riser block. I don't think I would pay that much for a 14" BS. If those were my choices I think I would go with C) a G0555 before the PM. If you don't really need it I would wait it out. The G051x series saws are nice saws.

Van Huskey
01-04-2011, 4:24 PM
I like the PM as it is very full featured and the G0457 is a nice saw as well but loses to the Rikon especially when the Rikon 14" deluxe is on sale. In any event the PM will run you right at 1K shipped and the G0457 about 1035 liftgate shipped. The steel spined saws are not really an issue unless you plan to resaw, the cast clones are great for contour cutting. If you don't really want all the bells and whistles of the PM the Grizzly G555P is about $540 liftgate shipped and would probably serve you fine and you could add some of the options of the PM and still be well below it in price.

1. If you really want a steel spined saw look at the Rikon (will be onsale at Woodcraft the 8th but not as cheap as it goes on sale about 3 times a year, think it will be about $770 but the bigger sales get it down to 699, but that will probably be 2-3 months)
2. If you really want the bells and whistles look at the PM (free liftgate delivery will be at most dealers)
3. If you want a basic saw to do the jobs you mention get the G555 or G555P and save several hundred bucks
4. If you want to save money but stay in the WMH family and have a 5 year warranty consider one of the 14" Jets (also with free liftgate)

Kerry Kling
01-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Still tormented on the bandsaw choice. Now back considering the 513X2 over the 0457. I'm not concerned with the prices, just want to get the right size saw. The lower priced Grizzlies just don't appeal to me, so they're out.

The 17" offers more... better resawing abilities down the road, larger work table in case I have a need for scrolling something bigger. The 0457 has a more comfortable working height which is a big deal with my bad back. I could always put the 513 on a riser though.

Below is a pic of the parts I carve out, sometimes a couple dozen at a clip... with a jig saw! Its a pain in the a$$.

Cary, have you used your 513X2 with smaller blades for scroll work...

#1) Do the 1/4" & 3/8" blades track well on the bigger saw compared to a 14"...?
#2) Which would be the right size blade...?

Thanks again guys for the help.

http://gallery.me.com/kerrykling57/100189/IMG_1172/web.jpg?ver=12941704220001

http://gallery.me.com/kerrykling57/100054/DSC_0045/web.jpg?ver=12615192860001

Cary Falk
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Kerry,
I have always used a 1/2" blade on mine. I don't do much tight scroll work. With what I do I can get buy with relief cuts and then clean it up on the OOS. A ton of people on this site have this saw so hopefully they will chime in. Sorry we ar making your dicision so difficult.:D

Van Huskey
01-06-2011, 3:25 PM
Kerry, I think you are making a wise choice moving to the 513 series. They really are the best sub $1000 bandsaws when no saws are on sale.

You won't have any problem with blades down to about 3/16", if you are inclined to use a 1/8" blade it MAY require some extra tuning but even then you should be fine. For 1/8" and 3/16" blades and scroll cutting I would suggest a Carter stabilizer.

The cut you showed is not that tight at all and I would use a 1/4" blade which will track easily on the 513 series.

Kerry Kling
01-07-2011, 3:42 PM
Order placed... Grizzly 0457. Here's why...

I just happened to be driving by a Woodcraft yesterday and figured I'll stop in just to see what they had. As it turns out this store had a Powermatic 14", Rikon 14" & 17", Jet 17" and low and behold they had just started assembling a Laguna 14" SUV. I started looking this thing over and playing with the controls etc. and suddenly started realizing this thing just might go home with me... regardless of the $1495 price tag! It really does ooze quality. 3hp, all metal buttons and knobs, and a pedal brake! I didn't see a piece of plastic on it as far a I could tell. Solid as a rock. So, I watched as the motor went on and looked at the other bandsaws nearby.

After seeing the Laguna there was no point. I wanted the Laguna... LOL.

I did rule out the 17" saws. They are just too imposing and large for my needs at this point. One of the sales guys took me in the back shop where they had a 17" Laguna they use for teaching classes. Again... nice!

By the time we came back up front the table was on the 14" SUV. Which is when I had that sinking feeling. The table has the lowest height of any saw in the store... 35" off the floor. Just to compare, the Powermatic's top is 44" off the floor. Seems the Laguna 14" SUV is designed primarily to be a smaller, resawing beast... hence the lower table height. Talk about raining on my parade!

So standing next the others I came to realize table height is very important to me. I would have to build a 10" high platform for the Laguna to sit on to get to a comfortable working height such as the Powermatic's or Grizzly 0457's 42 1/4".

So back to reality. On a typical kitchen I need to sometimes carve out a few dozen small feet brackets and a few larger cabinet end brackets. I'd like to do it standing up and not all hunched over as I do now with a jig saw. What the hell took me so long!

I think the 0457 is definitely a niche saw. Targeted right at me.

Powermatic tablesaw is on the way. Grizzly joiner and bandsaw ships Monday. The G0548Z dust collector I wanted is backordered until Feb 18th. I'll look around and see if anyone else has something like it spec/price wise. If not I'll put in a standing order.

Thanks to all for your help. I'll post pics when the dust settles.

Van Huskey
01-07-2011, 5:15 PM
The G0548Z dust collector I wanted is backordered until Feb 18th. I'll look around and see if anyone else has something like it spec/price wise. If not I'll put in a standing order.

I was going to mention the Shopfox dust collectors, they are in stock on Amazon and when you consider shipping they are about the same price or cheaper and similar but in the case of the 3hp version slightly upgraded over the Grizzly. I said was because they don't have canister versions, just bagged ones and adding a canister probably skews the cost/benefit. I would also ALMOST suggest the 2hp HF DC, there is a coupon around for it for $139 and most everyone that has it loves it and you could add a Wynn filter and be well under the Grizzly price. If you decide that route and can't find the coupon (page 75 Wood Dec/Jan issue is one place), let me know and I will mail you one.

Kerry Kling
01-07-2011, 8:47 PM
Thanks Van. I took a look at the other dust collectors. How can the Grizzly have twice the CFM and more HP at almost half the cost of the others? Seems like a big jump... even for Grizzly. I must be missing something. I'm comparing canister models:

Grizzly G0548= 2hp-1700CFM, $375
PM 1300= 1 3/4hp-1064CFM, $700ish
Jet similar spec models= $600-700ish

I searched: "Canister dust collectors" with google then clicked on the shopping tab.

Van Huskey
01-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks Van. I took a look at the other dust collectors. How can the Grizzly have twice the CFM and more HP at almost half the cost of the others? Seems like a big jump... even for Grizzly. I must be missing something. I'm comparing canister models:

Grizzly G0548= 2hp-1700CFM, $375
PM 1300= 1 3/4hp-1064CFM, $700ish
Jet similar spec models= $600-700ish

I searched: "Canister dust collectors" with google then clicked on the shopping tab.

I am NOT saying Grizzly is not a better value BUT some of the mag tests with fan curves in the past show there IS a difference, but it does not prevent you from going up one size with the Grizzly line and ending up with an equal or better fan curve for still less money. The key is paper specs really don't mean much, the fan curve tells the tale. Plus when comparing Jet/PM products you really have to look at the sale prices since the vast majority of Jet/PM machines probably sell during sales (none going now), you also have to factor lift gate shipping, Jet and PM generally ship residential liftgate for free, Grizzly charges for shipping and has a liftgate fee that varies by carrier but is in the $45 range, cheap by standard rates BUT you do have to add it for an accurate cost/benefit analysis.

Kerry Kling
01-12-2011, 7:54 AM
Look what showed up at my door yesterday. Very impressed with the packaging... not a tear, scratch, ding or rip anywhere. Assembly was a breeze. Today we add a plug, adjust the riving knife, add a blade and start her up.

Enjoy...

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/2bigfeet14/New%20Tools/web-1.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/2bigfeet14/New%20Tools/web-2.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/2bigfeet14/New%20Tools/web-3.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/2bigfeet14/New%20Tools/web.jpg

Expecting the Grizzly order tomorrow... joiner and bandsaw. Lots of cleaning and rearranging things to accommodate the new additions.

Joe Leigh
01-12-2011, 9:09 AM
Looks familiar....you will be glad you didn't settle. Congrats and post a review!
Also get yourself a low profile knife and a zero clearance insert for your new toy.....

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/New%20Saw/DSCN1751.jpg

Van Huskey
01-12-2011, 3:40 PM
I remember that day well Kerry! Now get that motor cover on, your motor looks naked and cold! I hate getting more than one machine very close together, I never feel like I give each one the care it deserves in setting it up until several weeks have gone by, I just can't wait to get it all up and running.

Kerry Kling
01-12-2011, 5:16 PM
Ha... the motor cover is now on Van! Jeez... did I forget that... Yup! Wired up the plug this morning and put together a nice extension chord. Put a newly sharpen blade in and turned my attention toward fiddling with the riving knife situation. Umm... no fiddling needed. It was dead nuts on. So far so good. Powered up and purring like a kitten. My poor 35yr old Unisaw looks anemic sitting next to this thing.

Joe, will be ordering the zero and the knife tomorrow.

bob cohen
01-12-2011, 8:58 PM
I know you didn't ask for advice on the jointer, but if it was me. I get the 8" jointer with straight knives over the 6 inch with the spiral cutterhead. (They are about the same price). For most woods, you don't need the spiral cutterhead and the extra 2 inches will come in handy often. Also I think the added weight of the eight inch jointer makes for better cuts. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your purchases.

Kerry Kling
01-12-2011, 9:26 PM
I know you didn't ask for advice on the jointer, but if it was me. I get the 8" jointer with straight knives over the 6 inch with the spiral cutterhead. (They are about the same price). For most woods, you don't need the spiral cutterhead and the extra 2 inches will come in handy often. Also I think the added weight of the eight inch jointer makes for better cuts. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your purchases.

Bob, the new joiner should be here tomorrow. Had a 8" DJ-20 and haven't missed it. I have been using an old Powermatic 6" model 50. I use it just for cleaning up edges and straightening shorter stock already rough cut to stile and rail lengths. Changing joiner blades is my least favorite thing to do in the shop. Thought about changing it over to the Dispozablade system but figured I replace the joiner. Looking forward to the spiral head.

bob cohen
01-13-2011, 7:40 PM
yes, changing knife blades is a hassle! I have thought about going to a disposable (tersa-like) system myself, but have read too many posts saying how difficult it is to change out cutterheads. Hope you like the new jointer!