PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get plastic dust collector bags for my Harbor Freght 2 HP dust collector?

dennis thompson
12-30-2010, 5:07 PM
Where can I get plastic dust collector bags for my Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector?
Thanks
Dennis

Neil Brooks
12-30-2010, 5:29 PM
Got mine from Wynn Environmental -- $13 for 10 @ 4mil/each:

http://wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

mickey cassiba
12-30-2010, 8:19 PM
Harbor Freight. Or if not available, Fastenal will source your specific need. My minimum order has always been 50 bags though. YMMV

Alex Berkovsky
12-30-2010, 8:23 PM
The bags that I bought from Wynn did not fit well at all and needed to be stretched and wound up ripping. Someone suggested getting the contractor grade garbage bags from BORG. They are slightly big (diameter wise), but that's not an issue since that band clamp holds the bag tight in place.

Jeff Monson
12-30-2010, 9:00 PM
I use the contractor bags from menards on my powermatic dc, works great!!

Jon Grider
12-30-2010, 9:40 PM
I use the contractor bags from menards on my powermatic dc, works great!!
Yeah, me too. They are a larger diameter, but by overlapping the excess portion , they work well.

Matt Meiser
12-31-2010, 7:57 AM
I ordered 4 mil bags from McMaster Carr to use as drum liners on my cyclone. I had to order 25 or 50 but the cost was pretty low per bag so it was worthwhile. They have a wide variety of sizes available.

Andrew Kertesz
12-31-2010, 8:33 AM
The bags I got from Wynn Environmental fit my HF dust collector with no problem. I got several when I purchased my filter cartidge.

David Werkheiser
12-31-2010, 8:36 AM
Matt, how do you keep the bags from being sucked up into the cyclone
thanks, David

Mark Ashmeade
12-31-2010, 8:39 AM
Off the wall solution - build a Phil Thien trashcan separator. Since building mine a year ago or so, I still don't have a layer of dust all the way across the bottom of the bag. This is despite emptying the trashcan at least 6 times. I don't think I'll ever need to buy another bag.

Tony West
12-31-2010, 9:32 AM
+ 1 for contractor bags

I use the heavy duty bags from the BORG on my HF DC. I put them inside of a garbage can after I attach them to the DC, this prevents them from blowing out if a piece of wood accidently gets poked into the side of the bag...but I wouldn't know that from experience or anything...talk about a dust storm!

They are a bit big, but I just wrap it around and tape it with a short piece of packing tape. That let's me put the band clamp on with both hands and not have to fumble with the bag at the same time.

James White
12-31-2010, 9:36 AM
Are you guys getting black contractor bags? Or are they available in clear? I recall someone recommending some clear trash bags before I got my DC. But I do not recall were they were getting them.

James

Jeff Monson
12-31-2010, 9:59 AM
James, I use the black ones, the original Powematic bags were clear but also $5 each, I dont mind the black ones and they are just as durable. I dont feel guilty throwing out a 1/2 full bag anymore.

Dave Sweeney
12-31-2010, 10:53 AM
I got mine from Woodworker's Supply (http://woodworker.com/14-dia-x-31-plastic-dust-bag-mssu-893-247.asp). They have however really gone up in price since the last time I bought some.

Tony West
12-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Are you guys getting black contractor bags? Or are they available in clear? I recall someone recommending some clear trash bags before I got my DC. But I do not recall were they were getting them.

James

I get the black ones as well..a quick poke in the side of the bag tells me how full it's getting.

Matt Meiser
12-31-2010, 12:15 PM
The ones I got were clear.

Matt, how do you keep the bags from being sucked up into the cyclone
thanks, David

I made something that looks like the shield Grizzly sells from some laminate. I also found it is important to completely seal the drum. Mine has the 2-piece 55 gallon drum and I had to silicone the seam between the top and bottom halves.

Greg Scull
12-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Off the wall solution - build a Phil Thien trashcan separator. Since building mine a year ago or so, I still don't have a layer of dust all the way across the bottom of the bag. This is despite emptying the trashcan at least 6 times. I don't think I'll ever need to buy another bag.

I totally agree. I made a separator and mounted my motor on top, can below. There are pictures of it around here somewhere.
Since building the separator I have emptied the can at least 10 times and I have less than an inch of fine dust in the bag. It will be a long time before I need to worry about the bag again.

Since I got 3 bags with my filter kit im pretty sure ill want a true cyclone before needing to buy bags again.

+1 on the Wynn bags, they fit great. I also used an old rubber band saw tire and cemented it to the ring to get a more air tight seal.

Don Dorn
12-31-2010, 4:27 PM

That's a good idea - I don't really have the room for a seperator too, but I used this idea in another way. Instead of buying the plastic bags, I attach a 32 gal garbage bag and set it inside a 32 gal plastic garbage bag. I simply use a plastic tie to attach the handle of the garbage container to a post on the DC. When full, simply throw the bag. I've been doing this about year and so far, it's worked perfect.

Dave Cav
12-31-2010, 4:39 PM

I went even further than this. One of the mods, Keith Outten, I think, had a long thread on building a chip/sawdust collection box. I did the same thing but didn't even use a box. I took my HF DC all apart, mounted the blower on the outside wall of the shop, and the sawdust and chips go in a pile outside the shop. I used a dryer vent louver to keep the critters out of the discharge pipe. Keeps the noise and the dust level in the shop way down and really increases the suction and CFM since there is no discharge head pressure. Of course, I live in the country with no neighbors nearby....

Dave