PDA

View Full Version : Turning square pommels

Julius Martin
12-30-2010, 4:44 PM
Starting to make a drop leaft table will be turning 4 legs in Ash Lumber (1 1/2" square)
I have done some turning but figured I'd practice some before getting to the task as I've
had some issues with getting that nice round edge at the top of the leg before i start the
story of the rest of the project......Does anyone have some advise as to how I should start the process so I get good results? Any advise would we of help......I've tried to
follow some advise on line but seem to get lost. Julius Martin

John Keeton
12-30-2010, 5:12 PM
Julius, there are a series of short videos on a website from the United Kingdom, and I thought I had the link, but do not. One of those shows cutting a pommel. I will search some more, but perhaps someone else will post the links.

I should have noticed this was your first post - welcome to the creek!! Also, as I recall, Bill Grumbine covers this in one of his videos, as does Raffan, I think.

Nate Davey
12-30-2010, 5:17 PM
Al Lacers Skew video covers it quite well.

Steve Mawson
12-30-2010, 5:24 PM
Nate beat me here on recommending Alan Lacers video. Basically he mounts the piece on the lathe and makes a small cut, stop the lathe and see how close to center you are. Then adjust the piece which ever way it needs to go to get it in the center, cant remember if he starts at the headstock or tail but not too hard once you make a small cut. After centered then turn away. Hope that helps and by all means welcome. Great to have another person in the vortex.

Dennis Simmons
12-30-2010, 5:32 PM
This might help you out.
http://www.woodturninglearn.net/articles/turningtablelegs.htm

Take your time at the transition from round to square, and use very sharp tools. Some woods work out better if you wrap the square with Blue masking tape, helps cut down on chipping. Very light cuts . I use the tape on my square base candle stands, helps you see the edges of the square better, place something white behind the stock.Makes the tape show up better, always watch the top of the stock while turning, you can see better, what your cut is doing.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-30-2010, 6:09 PM
Here's the webpage to which John's referring , I believe.... http://www.turningtools.co.uk/videos/videos.html

Select the "cut" ....scroll to the bottom of the segment....click on the green square to view the video.

Julius Martin
12-30-2010, 6:20 PM
Thank you all for responding so quickly!! This is a great organization. I'll keep you all posted as to my success with this project and my efforts
at turning the pommels......Happy New Year to you all!!....Julius Martin

Ken Fitzgerald
12-30-2010, 6:30 PM
Welcome to the Creek Julius!

Michael James
12-30-2010, 6:58 PM
Welcom from NM. Oh... by the way, if you don't post pictures, you didn't turn the legs! Didn't happen.
Michael

Ryan Baker
12-30-2010, 11:43 PM
I agree that Alan Lacer's video is the best reference in this case. To cut good square pommels, you need to cut them with a skew. It is very definitely NOT an easy thing to do well, and it is not a place I would suggest trying to start with turning (though it is a common first "need" -- it was for me too). Practice (a lot) on scrap before working on your real pieces.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Justin,

A couple things to keep in mind while doing pummels.

Use a skew. Most turners hate that tool. Myself and a few others have taken the time to learn to use it and love it. You can get a finish that any sanding will deter from the smooth surface the skew left. But...it takes mileage to learn to use it.

It must be sharp. My advice is to get Alan Lacer's video "The Skew Chisel- Dark Side - Sweet side. Then grab some scraps and practice. The skew must be sharp. As Lacer shows in the video...you can grind and then diamond hone for weeks before you have to go back to the grinder.

Most "round" pommels, you will start as shown in that linked video I referenced earlier, you will make a notch and then come at it from each side to make the pommel.

With square pommel it's a little different and you will sight down one bevel and keep that bevel perpendicular to the plane of the object being turned. You may want to sneak up on it and make the final "square cut" as I just described.

Get the video...grab your skew.....sharpen it and spend a couple weekends taming it and becoming it's friend. You won't regret it.