PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Vacuum Chuck

Nate Davey
12-30-2010, 4:23 PM
I didn't realize the Holly had so much spalt until I turned it round. Fortunately, I've got a lot of it. I used the example Steve did on his for the chuck portion and a threaded lamp rod through head stock from the example on Woodturners Resource. As I've spend way too much money on turning stuff this month, I set this one up to run off my shop Vac. The plug that goes into the shop vac hose has a 1/4" bleeder hole to prevent deheading the vac. It's not pulling 25 grams of mercury, but it does a pretty good job. As money becomes available again (I don't feel so guilty spending so much), I will upgrade to a vacuum pump system.

Thanks for looking

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2010, 4:30 PM
Looks pretty good Nate! About the only suggestion I have is to round over - soften the edge a little on the PVC so it doesn't mar the wood.

John Keeton
12-30-2010, 5:20 PM
Pretty slick, Nate!! But, surely you feel some level of guilt from turning such beautiful spalted holly for a chuck!!:D There are folks on here that will lust over your chuck just for the wood.;)

Steve Mawson
12-30-2010, 5:26 PM
John is right, beautiful wood for a chuck. Looks like it will work if the shop vac holds up.

Bill Bolen
12-30-2010, 5:27 PM
Good looking set up Nate. I too use my shop vac to power my vac chuck and keep telling myself to go ahead and do it right with a vac pump. That's been almost two years and I just can't bring myself to spend $$ when the shop vac works so well. For bowls is real good. For smaller stuff the hold just is not there and I end up going to the Longworth. Ahhh the frugal turner...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2010, 6:29 PM
Looks pretty good Nate. I would glue some closed cell foam around the edge of the PVC as that will give you a better seal and won't mar the piece.

Nate Davey
12-30-2010, 7:12 PM
Just got back from Hobby Lobby, their closed cell foam is .51 a sheet right now. I do feel a bit guilty on the wood, John. I picked up 4ea 8'x6"x8/4 pieces of this, free, from the guy I get lumber from. All of it just like this piece. He was going to burn it because it was rotten. True I guess.

Rick Markham
12-30-2010, 7:27 PM
I'm a fan of beautiful tools... so I am a fan of your "spalted holly chuck"!!!

Roland Martin
12-30-2010, 9:18 PM
Now, that is one fancy chuck you turned, Nate. And it's set up on a great lathe:D

David DeCristoforo
12-30-2010, 9:59 PM
Hey... if your gonna make a tool, might as well make it look nice. My vac chucks also use plastic pipe but my backing plates are (yecch!) MDF. Not nearly as attractive...

James Combs
12-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Hmmm. If a vacuum cleaner gives enough suction and you can use nice wood for the chuck I guess I am going to have to see if I can come up with one. I happen to have an extra air compressor. If I hook it up backwards, as in use the inlet as a suction line to a vacuum chuck made out of rosewood or some other exotic, that should work right. I mean the better the wood the better the chuck, right??:D

Nate Davey
12-31-2010, 8:26 AM
Rosewood might be too porous, you may want to consider ebony. :D

Tim Thiebaut
12-31-2010, 8:29 AM
How do you center your workpiece on the chuck so that it is square and ready to turn?

Nate Davey
12-31-2010, 8:41 AM
the tailstock dimple is still there from when I turned the tenon, so start there and adjust as necessary.

Rob Cunningham
12-31-2010, 9:16 AM
Nice looking chuck Nate, I'm glad it works. Someday I'll get around to building one for my lathe when time permits.

Harry Robinette
12-31-2010, 11:42 PM
James
I use a Craftsmen 3/4 HP all-in-one compressor just like you said I hooked the inlet to the chuck (must have in-line filter) and keep a small hose on the outlet so if
I need any air I have it also.This little compressor works great but its a constant run so there's no interruption in the air when it cycles. Any question PM me.
Harry