PDA

View Full Version : Is it Just Me???

Tom Winship
12-30-2010, 3:59 PM
Call me chauvinistic if you will, but am I the only one who would rather not listen to a woman doing the broadcast of a football game? I don't mind on women's basketball or softball.
Just something about a female voice on a football game that makes me think, "is something wrong with the tv"?

Jim Koepke
12-30-2010, 4:15 PM
My wife and I do not watch football.

My wife's best friend since about 45 years ago loves football. So she likely would be just about as enthusiastic a football commentator as anyone else.

It was a little awkward when the "ladies" started commenting on the player's back sides. I hope the TV announcers never bring that up.

That was my cue to head for the shop.

jtk

Tom Winship
12-30-2010, 5:08 PM
Jim, my wife loves football as much as I do (if not more so). However, her response today was the same as yesterday, "It's that woman announcer again"!
I think my phobia has to do with expounding on something when you haven't done it; i.e., telling everyone how to sharpen a saw. You can read all the books about it that you want, however, there ain't nothing like pushing the file across the teeth to make you wiser.

Jerome Stanek
12-30-2010, 5:46 PM
I hate it when either a man or woman that is the teams announcer gets so excited about the other team doing something that if you just tuned in you think your team is doing it.

Tom Winship
12-30-2010, 6:49 PM
I agree.
My wife and I also don't understand why all announcers feel like they have to scream. Has something to do with money I bet.

Ernie Miller
12-30-2010, 7:00 PM
Nothing's wrong with your tv - it's just you. :)

Mike Henderson
12-30-2010, 7:19 PM
Doesn't bother me.

But then, I don't watch football so they could have a monkey doing the announcing and that wouldn't bother me either.

Mike

Jim Underwood
01-01-2011, 1:33 PM
Huh. I couldn't possibly care any less.

My wife is more apt to turn on the game than I am. I mean, I'll listen to it, but I'd just as soon go out to the shop and turn wood.

Must be something defective in my "man genes" cuz I just don't get the whole "chasing a ball around the field" thing.:confused: Isn't that something dogs do?;)

I'm gonna duck out now before I get hit with a rock...:D

Ron Conlon
01-01-2011, 4:20 PM
Must be something defective in my "man genes" cuz I just don't get the whole "chasing a ball around the field" thing.:

Nah, you're fine. I'd rather be doing something than watching others do something. Even worse is hearing the guys at work dissect every aspect of their team week after week, or even WORSE, if possible, is them discussing how their FANTASY teams are doing. Yikes! Funny how it seems to make them feel like they are athletic. :)

Greg Peterson
01-01-2011, 8:43 PM
My wife will comment on the tonal quality of the womans voice. Some voices are just in a register she finds annoying. I do not have a problem with women announcers in general. There are plenty of announcers I can not tolerate and their gender has nothing to do with it.

Basketball and football are the only two sports I follow with an occasional PGA tournament thrown in for a lazy afternoon. I never played in any organized sport as a youth and watching a game doesn't make me feel like an athlete. I guess I am guilty of marveling at what the modern athlete can accomplish. Sports are a vehicle in which the strongest, fastest, most talented and most skilled compete and usually the best wins. The human form is an amazing thing and by far the most sophisticated machine in existence. Seeing it perform to near perfection is not to everyones taste.

Bill Cunningham
01-01-2011, 9:43 PM
It's like listening to a 'man' on the View... It's just wrong!!!

Bryan Morgan
01-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't care either way. My dogs chase balls around equally as good as any people on TV and I can announce it however I want! :)

I don't watch any of those sporting events. Life is too short to sit there watching other people live it.

Mike Cutler
01-02-2011, 6:43 AM
If she, or any male broadcaster for that matter, actually knows the game, teams,players, is prepared and is there for something more than "network eye candy" I have no problem with it.
The worst broadcast I ever saw was Chris Collinsworth and Bryant Gumble. I don't think Gumble had ever played in, watched, or broadcasted a football game in his life. At one point he actually told Collinsworth he was wrong about what a receiver was supposed to be doing on a route.
Gumble made a fool of himself that night.

Belinda Barfield
01-02-2011, 8:30 AM
My wife will comment on the tonal quality of the womans voice. Some voices are just in a register she finds annoying.

Funny, Greg, I'm the same way. Doesn't matter whether its TV, radio, or public, some voices are just in a range that grate on my eardrums.

It's like listening to a 'man' on the View... It's just wrong!!!

LOL . . . or a man watching the view!

For me I just it is just a tradition thing, I don't even like to see female commentators on the field, or listen to them do after the game interviews. On the flip side, if I watched a cupcake bake-off I'd rather have the commentator be female, although I know there are a lot of men out there who bake wonderful cupcakes.

Jerome Hanby
01-03-2011, 2:04 PM
I don't want to hear any of the current crop of female reporters commenting on Football. I don't consider that as sexist since I also do not want to hear any of the current crop of male reporters either. What dunderheads! The part that burns me the most is the creation of words that are not needed. I can see the need for a new term if there are no older ones that are short, sweet, and appropriate. "Texting" come to mind. A new "word" for a new activity that otherwise would take several words to describe (sending a text message from a cellphone). But "trickeration"? Why on earth do they keep using that term. "Trickery" already exists, describes the activity, AND it's shorter! It also has the added advantage of not making one sound like a DUNDERHEAD!

On college games played by local teams, you sometimes have the option of turning the TV sound off and turning on the radio coverage. Rarely and option for Pro or Bowl games. Maybe that a reason to get satellite radio...

Sean Troy
01-03-2011, 4:14 PM
I don't mind as long as she knows what she's talking about and not reading from a teleprompter.

Tom Winship
01-03-2011, 7:18 PM
I think reading from a teleprompter and knowing what you are talking about has become an oxymoron over the last couple of years.

Jim Rimmer
01-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't want to hear any of the current crop of female reporters commenting on Football. I don't consider that as sexist since I also do not want to hear any of the current crop of male reporters either. What dunderheads! The part that burns me the most is the creation of words that are not needed. I can see the need for a new term if there are no older ones that are short, sweet, and appropriate. "Texting" come to mind. A new "word" for a new activity that otherwise would take several words to describe (sending a text message from a cellphone). But "trickeration"? Why on earth do they keep using that term. "Trickery" already exists, describes the activity, AND it's shorter! It also has the added advantage of not making one sound like a DUNDERHEAD!

On college games played by local teams, you sometimes have the option of turning the TV sound off and turning on the radio coverage. Rarely and option for Pro or Bowl games. Maybe that a reason to get satellite radio...

I think I was watching the game the night Frank Gifford invented the word "athletecism" and I have always hated that word.

A lot of non-sports watchers have commented; how 'bout those who do watch. I watch some sports but am not an avid viewer; I don't watch just any game that's on - it has to be a team I have an interest in like the Houston Texans who make it very hard to be a fan and been very creative this year in finding new ways each week to lose the game at the last minute. I don't like women commentators in sports that they don't participate in. I think the best commentators are those who have played - like Collinsworth, he is the best since Dandy Don Meredith. Troy Aikman is pretty good, too. Problem is they are usually paired with someone who will just drive you nuts.

Van Huskey
01-04-2011, 1:02 AM
Football is one sport I like to mute. I find I see more nuance when I am not trying to block out the announcers. I wish there was a way to just hear the crowd the hits and the refs.

John Coloccia
01-04-2011, 6:59 AM
Football is one sport I like to mute. I find I see more nuance when I am not trying to block out the announcers. I wish there was a way to just hear the crowd the hits and the refs.

EXACTLY what I just came into this thread to post. They should all just shut up. Generally I don't mind female announcers, but the male ones are pretty annoying, and the female announcers/reporters are typically picked for their looks and the novelty of having a "girl" in the chair. If they're any good at their job, I normally won't even notice if they're female or male, but most of them are pretty horrible.

Announcer 1: "There's the snap. He's in the pocket. Moss is going deep! He's BEING DOUBLE TEAMED!! AAAAANNNNDDD it's knocked down by Powers"
Announcer 2: "Moss is 2 for 5 on passes this quarter but has 25 rushing yards since the half."

Shutup, all of you.

Jim Rimmer
01-04-2011, 1:52 PM
Too bad Shiraz of the NFL doesn't monitor this site. :D

Chris Struttman
01-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I just found out that if I turn the language on my tv to Spanish, while watching a game, I don't get the commentators. I just did this with the Chicago/Green Bay game the other day and it was very plesent. It was surprising how much you could hear the players talking when you didn't have to listen to the goofball anouncers. However, I am not a football aficienado so I am sure I missed some of the finer pooints of the game without the sage words of said goofballs.