PDA

View Full Version : Lasering veneered plywood?

Nicholas Portalupi
12-30-2010, 3:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone had experience with lasering through a veneer into a nice plywood (latvian or baltic birch), to get a good contrast. I'm wondering if there are any issues with glue charring/melting/marking/gassing or otherwise damaging the finished product. I'm also curious what kind of veneer people have used, as well as what kinds of solid non-exotic hardwoods (non-veneer!) people have had the best experience with engraving. We are working with a 60 watt epilog. Thanks in advance for any advice or stories you have to offer....

John Noell
12-30-2010, 3:39 PM
We get different veneers over here but, in general, exterior grades (with phenolic resin glues) char pretty badly and take more power when cutting. The interior grades with PVA type glue cut beautifully. Some woods just vaporize when lasered (i.e., no contrast) while some of the plys we get turn a nice dark shade. Don't kow about the birches, sorry. Usually I just get piece of what's available and try it. :)

Lee DeRaud
12-30-2010, 8:27 PM
I'm wondering if there are any issues with glue charring/melting/marking/gassing or otherwise damaging the finished product.I haven't lasered veneer-over-ply...it sounds like you're talking about dark veneer and rastering all the way through to the (lighter) plywood.

On the stuff I use, yes, the glue chars, but that's a feature, not a bug: it turns a nice brownish-black for excellent contrast with the lighter top layer. A quick spritz with spray shellac seals it and you're done.