PDA

View Full Version : New Tool Gloat, a Craigs list special.

Aaron Berk
12-30-2010, 2:18 PM
It cost me a SOLID 10hr round trip, and $400:rolleyes:

But I'm happy and gloating

Van Huskey
12-30-2010, 2:25 PM
YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Great snag

Stephen Cherry
12-30-2010, 2:31 PM
Why didn't you hold out for a full sized saw?

(joke)

Nice!

Aaron Berk
12-30-2010, 3:12 PM
LoL, yeah no kidding. This little 14" saw is childs play.

It came with 6 blades though, one of which is a 16" blade?
I think the guy might have got mixed up, unless he removed the guard and needed the 16" blade for a really deep cut?

At any rate, this will be a fun toy. Makes my 10" craftsman ras a joke. If I hadn't already sold the Craftsman I would have put a metal cutting blade on the DeWalt and cut up the Craftsman. That would have looked cool.

Leo Vogel
12-30-2010, 4:18 PM
I saw one of those in Kansas City a few days ago. WOW, that is a saw. They are huge. I would like to have one if I had a bigger shop.

Randy Dutkiewicz
12-30-2010, 5:57 PM
It cost me a SOLID 10hr round trip, and $400:rolleyes:

But I'm happy and gloating

Aaron,
Was that the one listed up in ATL?

Aaron Berk
12-30-2010, 6:06 PM
Aaron,
Was that the one listed up in ATL?

No, this one came from Wilmington NC, I called about the one in Atlanta, it had no base and looked a bit rough. That guy wanted no less than 500 for it. He was a machinery salesman, not the end user.

It was also a Model-GA like this one, but I don't know if his was a medium arm.

This Medium arm makes for a 24" cross cut IIRC

Is this the one your talking about ----> http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/2094414291.html

Randy Dutkiewicz
12-30-2010, 10:17 PM
No, this one came from Wilmington NC, I called about the one in Atlanta, it had no base and looked a bit rough. That guy wanted no less than 500 for it. He was a machinery salesman, not the end user.

It was also a Model-GA like this one, but I don't know if his was a medium arm.

This Medium arm makes for a 24" cross cut IIRC

Is this the one your talking about ----> http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/2094414291.html

Yep, that'd be the one I remember seeing. Yours is obviously MUCH nicer! I think there was a guy in Pembroke that was selling one a about a month or so ago similar to what you just got. I just wouldn't have the room for something that huge, but it sure is sweet! I've also got a craftsman that I picked up from a guy in ATL about 4-5 months ago for $200 bucks! It was the newer model with the laser track - maybe a year or two old only. I think I got a steal on that one!! He obviously didn't know what those go for new. But like you, I saw it on CL, made a full day of it to go get it and brought it home. I'm always ALL OVER craigslist too!!!!

Aaron Berk
12-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Well to be honest, :( I've got no room for this beast either.
One nice thing though, it's lower than my table saw.
So I'm going to build a new table for it and bring it up to the height of my table saw.
That way I can mount the RAS along the wall and the table saw juts out into the room. So I'll have an L shaped set up.

Or at least this is my 1st thought of how to fit it. :confused:

I'm also building a new shop, but it's going slow so I have time to think about how to shoe horn the beast.

Yeah those laser saws where what...... like $700 something?
I just sold my 113. series 10" 2.5hp Craftsman RAS for $200

So how do you like yours?
Mine was under powered for my needs, I do production stuff allot, and trying to yank the blade through the cut would bog it down.
I guess I should have put an 8" blade on it.

I'm guessing this DeWalt will chew up and spit out anything I try to "force" it through:cool:

Go Big or Go Home, LOL

Chip Lindley
12-30-2010, 10:55 PM
WTG! Aaron! That DeWalt looks to be in very nice shape. Good, cheap machines make long road trips well worth it!

You will love that big RAS! And getting $200 for your Crapsman was a coup' too! I could only get $150 for mine.

Aaron Berk
12-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Hey Chip,

I did have a nifty rock solid wooden stand on mine, as well as a real nice -5* blade.

So I really only got $100 for the RAS ;) feeling better?

Randy Dutkiewicz
12-31-2010, 8:59 PM
Well to be honest, :( I've got no room for this beast either.
One nice thing though, it's lower than my table saw.
So I'm going to build a new table for it and bring it up to the height of my table saw.
That way I can mount the RAS along the wall and the table saw juts out into the room. So I'll have an L shaped set up.

Or at least this is my 1st thought of how to fit it. :confused:

I'm also building a new shop, but it's going slow so I have time to think about how to shoe horn the beast.

Yeah those laser saws where what...... like $700 something?
I just sold my 113. series 10" 2.5hp Craftsman RAS for $200

So how do you like yours?
Mine was under powered for my needs, I do production stuff allot, and trying to yank the blade through the cut would bog it down.
I guess I should have put an 8" blade on it.

I'm guessing this DeWalt will chew up and spit out anything I try to "force" it through:cool:

Go Big or Go Home, LOL

I like mine - it does what it's supposed to. I'm mostly using it for quick dadoing and crosscuts. I figure if I ever needed a bit more "umpf" or it started bogging down on me, I'd just rewire to 220V, but given what I use it for I doubt I would have to do that. The big and more precise stuff I leave to my Unisaw. Yeah, I think they are around $700-800 brand new.

Steve H Graham
12-31-2010, 9:40 PM
Some guy is selling a 10" Delta down here on Craigslist. Looks a whole lot like one that sells for $2900 at Woodcraft. I would be in the truck already, if I had any use for it.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/tls/2125712986.html

Aaron Berk
12-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Nice find there Steve, I see a bunch of the Model 10's for sale.

You know what I wonder?
I wonder why ALL the used RAS's that are for sale have no tables, or totally Trashed tables?

Is every one really that unaware as to the key role the tables plays in the use of a RAS?

And therefore they all go to S**T?

Peter Quinn
01-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice Saw Aaron. Here's a few pics of mine. Cost only the parts to make it operational, very nice tool. I set up a heavy industrial model at work a few years back with a 28" crosscut, 16" blade, makes mine feel a bit light weight. But I have yet to find anything mine had trouble cutting. Welcome to the DeWalt RAS club! Speaking of which, there actually is one over at Delphi dedicated to the DeWalt RAS. I got some good tips there for getting mine running, and an original owners manual from OWWM.org!

Enjoy that saw, and work safe. PS: I'd love to see a You Tube video of someone cutting up a c-man RAS with a DeWalt! That would be priceless to stage. Perhaps it would be worth buying a used one just to do it?:eek:

Aaron Berk
01-01-2011, 4:30 PM
Peter,

Nice set up you got there. For some reason your arm looks longer than mine. Is yours also a GA with medium arm? I guess it could be the table and angle of the shot that makes it look a good 4-6 inches longer.

I was thinking about what size table to use, and after seeing a few, I'm thinking I'll do a table that's narrower front to back, and then have a "bump out" for max 90* crosscut. I'll measure my max 45* miter, and then make my table that deep.

I don't have as much room as it looks like you do.

I'm starting a collection fund for the Craftsman Cut Up Project, just paypall all your spare nickles to CCup.com LOL :D
And I'll utube it in high def

Chip Lindley
01-01-2011, 5:40 PM
You know what I wonder?
I wonder why ALL the used RAS's that are for sale have no tables, or totally Trashed tables?

Is every one really that unaware as to the key role the tables plays in the use of a RAS?

And therefore they all go to S**T?

Well...many of those BIG "radio-alarm saws" come from business entities that used them for very rough cutting. In the past, almost all lumber yards had a big one for the odd job--like cutting long 6x6s or 8x8s to a customer's specification. Tables were very beat up and rough after slamming big timbers up onto them for years. Many tables on these big saws had long extensions cobbled together which had been disassembled to take the saw out.

Many big RASs never saw any fine woodworking at all. One one occasion, I had some big CCA stuff cut to length on the yard's huge DeWalt. After cutting the power, the yard man rammed a 2x4 against the side of the blade to stop it. "Boss says to never go off and leave the blade spinning," he said! Oh well...it was only an old burnt steel blade--not precision carbide!

I was lucky that my big 7.5hp Rockwell 33-362 RAS came from a custom kitchen/bath remodeler. It was used to crosscut laminate and Corian countertop material to length--gently used for sure! Mine came with no table, because I have no doubt that the saw's previous setup covered a whole wall of that shop, and had been disassembled.

Aaron Berk
01-01-2011, 6:18 PM
I think I can believe 100% of what you said Chip.

So whats the thesis on the smaller saws? The ones that were obviously DIY tools?

I'm betting the ignorant leave the trashed tables intact when they sell, and the owners in the know are embarrassed and remove their abused tables.

I've only seen a hand full of DIY ras's sold with usable tables.

This beast I just bought had a pre-made home depot 8' Formica counter top screwed to it. Complete with back splash as a fence :rolleyes:

The 90* crosscut grove was so deep that the counter top had begun to bow up in the center from lack of support. The seller was oblivious to the actual usage and ability's of a RAS, and I'm thinking he was a little scared of it.:p

Aaron Berk
01-29-2011, 10:20 PM
OK well it's not a Mr. SawDust table, but I think it will be just fine!

My table top is 3 layers of 1/2" ply (it's what I had) edge banded with cherry (again, it's what I had) then toped with 1/8" hardboard.

I chose toggle clamps for the fence, I'm not keen on the thumb screws, and I didn't want to cut wedges. These clamps have a 2" stroke and will hold 2,500 LBS :D (not that I need it).

Also notice the 1/4" spacer pads placed at all the mount points, it gives me a nice "sawdust drop", they are just brad nailed into the top.

I've got plans for a top mounted T track, and future flip stop.
One of these days:rolleyes:

I skipped out on the Mr. SawDust table because I wanted this done quick, and with these older RASs there are so many (12) points of adjustment for the table top. I don't see it going out of flat with all those 5/16 mount bolts.

Only time will tell