PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Web Cam

Kevin Gregoire
12-30-2010, 1:14 PM
i was surfing around and i found a wood shop that has a webcam set up and im curious
if anyone else has links to woodshop web cams? im just curious to watch other woodworkers work!

Woodworkers Club Norwalk (http://www.woodworkersclubnorwalk.com/Articles.asp?ID=134)

Cary Falk
12-30-2010, 1:23 PM
You wouldn't want to see a web cam from me unless you enjoy watching someone search for their pencil all day.:D

Trent Shirley
12-30-2010, 1:24 PM
I can usually find A pencil even if not the one I started with but my damnable tape measures keep hiding.

It would be cool to watch others work in their shops but a cam in my shop would get so dusty you would not be able to make anything out.

John Towns
12-30-2010, 2:29 PM
I do not have a web cam in my shop either. I can, however describe fairly accuraty what you woud see if I did have one...

Due to the crowded condition of my shop (ok, I do not always put things away soon enough), I usually have to move something to get to what I need. Here is where my version of the "Woodworker's Murphy's Law" come into play. Whenever I move something to get to something else, it is certain that what I need next is behind, under, or otherwise obscured by what I just moved.

Also, I would probably want to cut the microphone from the webcam...just in case....would not want to share my reaction to the Woodworkers Murhpy's Law.

Jay Yoder
12-30-2010, 3:57 PM
I agree...if it isn't the pencil its the tape measure. or sometimes even the drill! Bad eh?

If I had a webcam it would just show darkness with occassional flashes of light when I have to load salt in the softener. Sad but way it is when one works full time and is in school full time and has a family! :) I don't do woodworking as a hobby, I just buy and collect the tools!

Aaron Hancock
12-30-2010, 6:10 PM
you think its bad when you loose your tape? There are days I'm lucky if I can find my table saw :rolleyes:

Victor Robinson
12-30-2010, 6:39 PM
I like to woodwork without pants on and I don't think any of you would want to see that.

Roger Bullock
12-30-2010, 6:48 PM
Problem, got tired of always looking for a pencil so while I was at the office supply store I picked up a couple of boxes. Problem, lots of pencils laying around but they are all dull or have the lead broken, when to the office supply store and purchased an electric pencil sharpener. Problem, brought my mechanical pencil into the shop one day, really liked having the same thickness line every time but I only have one in the shop, problem where is that mechanical pencil? Next trip to office supply store will buy mechanical pencils in bulk so they will be in different locations around the shop.

I always look forward to the traveling woodworking show to come in our area each February, I always set aside a little money to buy something, a tool, jig, blade, bits or whatever. Problem can't afford to buy anything this year.....spent all my money buying PENCILS. :mad:

Jaze Derr
12-30-2010, 7:54 PM
I do not have a web cam in my shop either. I can, however describe fairly accuraty what you woud see if I did have one...

Due to the crowded condition of my shop (ok, I do not always put things away soon enough), I usually have to move something to get to what I need. Here is where my version of the "Woodworker's Murphy's Law" come into play. Whenever I move something to get to something else, it is certain that what I need next is behind, under, or otherwise obscured by what I just moved.

Also, I would probably want to cut the microphone from the webcam...just in case....would not want to share my reaction to the Woodworkers Murhpy's Law.

Hahaha!! that sounds like me. I've got TWO benches, and yet, I still find myself working on the veeeeery tiny corner of one, because my tools and junk keep encroaching on me...

I think they move around when I'm not looking :confused:

Mike Cruz
12-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Anyone going to ACTUALLY answer this poor fella? I for one, have no idea of anyone that has one. Sorry...

Kevin Gregoire
12-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Anyone going to ACTUALLY answer this poor fella? I for one, have no idea of anyone that has one. Sorry...

thanks mike, i was wondering how long it would take someone to actually answer me?

Jaze Derr
12-31-2010, 12:48 AM
A google search finds this:
http://www.furnituremaker.com/woodcam.htm

There's Marc's:
http://thewoodwhisperer.com/live/

Ron Natalie
01-02-2011, 10:54 AM
My neighbor doesn't have a web cam, but his home entertainment video distribution has a feed from a camera in his shop. His wife had him put it in so she could keep an eye on him (in case of emergencies). The shop is disconnected from the rest of the house (it's underneath both only accessible from outside).

Matt Meiser
01-02-2011, 1:53 PM
I've got an IP camera in my shop for the same reason as Ron's neighbor. Its not internet-accessible though.

John Shuk
01-02-2011, 3:09 PM
Hey! I've worked in that shop. It is the club on the top floor of the Woodcraft in Norwalk CT. There are some very talented teachers there. Nice place.