PDA

View Full Version : Box-O-Wood "Me Too"

James Combs
12-30-2010, 12:32 PM
This huge piece of Ambrosia Maple was delivered to my door step yesterday. Many thanks to Creeker Kurt Barker for the package. The blank measures nearly 16" in diameter. Close enough to 16 that if I don't center it within a quarter inch or so it's not going to turn on my Jet 1642:D. It's terrible to have such problems.:cool::D

John Keeton
12-30-2010, 2:49 PM
I see a really nice bowl inside that chunk of wood, JD!! Should be a nice one, too!

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2010, 3:47 PM
James - Congrats on the Ambrosia Maple! Kurt stopped in for a visit a couple of days ago and gave me a chunk of the same wood - probably the mate to the one you have! Like you - I will have to center it carefully or it will hit the ways on my 1642!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2010, 6:32 PM
Nice piece of wood James. Looking forward to see the finished piece.

Rick Markham
12-30-2010, 6:53 PM
Great lookin wood! Great friend to boot!!! If you don't get it centered properly you will have to send it to me, and I will gladly turn it down for ya!!! :D:D:D:D:D

I haven't had a chance to work with Ambrosia Maple yet, but I look forward to it in the future! Have a grand ole time with that, I can't wait to see your bowl!

Rex Guinn
12-30-2010, 7:16 PM
Hey I hope you bring the finished product to the BAW meeting in January! Sure would like to see it.

James Combs
12-30-2010, 9:16 PM
I see a really nice bowl inside that chunk of wood, JD!! Should be a nice one, too!

Thanks, my xray specs are broken so I am pondering what might be inside it.:rolleyes: Looking for ideas BTW.

James - Congrats on the Ambrosia Maple! Kurt stopped in for a visit a couple of days ago and gave me a chunk of the same wood - probably the mate to the one you have! Like you - I will have to center it carefully or it will hit the ways on my 1642!

Let me know how it goes. I am still doing some insulation work in between some commission work so it may be a few weeks before I can get to it. Kurt has it good and sealed so it should be Ok for a little while.

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

I am definitely open to suggestions.

Great lookin wood! Great friend to boot!!! If you don't get it centered properly you will have to send it to me, and I will gladly turn it down for ya!!! :D:D:D:D:D

:eek::eek::rolleyes::)

I haven't had a chance to work with Ambrosia Maple yet, but I look forward to it in the future! Have a grand ole time with that, I can't wait to see your bowl!

I haven't worked with it either. Done several pieces i Spalted Maple but notAmbrosia.

Hey I hope you bring the finished product to the BAW meeting in January! Sure would like to see it.

Will probably have to wait until the February meeting. It is green so the drying process (DNA Soak) won't be done in time for the January Meeting and I still have a bit more insulation to put up.

Michael James
12-30-2010, 11:00 PM
That is a big chunk o maple amigo! Lots of options there.... keep up posted, plz.