PDA

View Full Version : 3 Jaw Brace from Lee Valley

Chuck Tringo
12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
I was wondering if anyone has used the 3 jaw chuck brace from lee valley and any ideas on it...its made in europe (france) so im hoping that the manufacturing practices are good, but i wanted to get a users opinion. I have an old craftsman brace i got for $10 on the bay and it works great but have been unable to find any old braces with 3 jaw chucks for use with most newer bits...i do fine with the 2 jaw and round shank bits and hex bits, but it spins forstners over 1 inch no matter how tight i crank it down. The link is here...
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32300&cat=1,180,42337&ap=1
I have a gift card from christmas and i actually am having trouble spending it...as you can see im doing pretty well on my veritas plane collection (i added the small router and side rabbet at xmas) and have 3 of their back saws well. Thanks for any help

David Weaver
12-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Which forstners are you using with a brace - the self-feed forstners?

Have you tried roughing the shafts of the forstners a bit with sandpaper for grip?

I think before buying another brace, I would spend the money on a good import drill to run the forstner bits - they are designed to run at a higher speed and a lighter cut per rotation, I'd think, given that the edges on them are usually at a higher angle and if there are sawteeth on the edges, they are engaged in more surface than the wings on a brace bit.

I have not seen a new brace that I felt fond of.

Chuck Nickerson
12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
In a recent thread somewhere, Rob Lee said they carry it because some people have to buy new.

A better solution to your probelm is available. You can find used three-jaw chucks (1/4" or 3/8" capacity) on an auger shaft.
They can often be had for less than $20. A hour of rehab and they're good to go.

Two tips: be sure the springs are there, and use grease not oil (DAMHIKT).

Rob Lee
12-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi Chuck -

The new braces are pretty much worth what you pay for 'em.... they're not high precision tools, and we offer for folks that need 'em. Having said that - old braces can be worth more than you pay for them... :)

It's useful to have several, using 'em like "handles" - each dedicated to a specific size bit... you'll figure out pretty quickly which sizes you use most, and how many braces you'd like.

Note too that 2,3,4 jaw brace chucks are common.... there are advantages to each.

Also note swing lengths are different - smaller for smaller bits, or operations requiring less torque...

Pay attention to adapters too - we have good ones - for hex shanks bits, and sockets (which is an application many overlook for braces).

Cheers -

Rob

Andrae Covington
12-30-2010, 1:24 PM
I bought some large saw-tooth forstner bits from Lee Valley that have a 1/2" hex shaft. I found my brace jaws could grip this style better than a round shaft. That said, I didn't have much luck actually using them in a brace, but maybe I just can't provide enough pressure to make it cut fast enough to be worth the effort.

They sell them in HSS (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=63566&cat=1,180,42240) and HCS (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=63611&cat=1,180,42240). I bought HSS in smaller sizes and HCS in the larger sizes because they were cheaper, and I expected only limited use. The largest one I bought is 3-1/2" diameter, it's a monster.

Chuck Tringo
12-30-2010, 1:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I will look again for a used 3 jaw chuck brace as well as a 3 jaw chuck on an auger shaft. I replaced my round shank forstners with a small set that has 3 flats, but as you could imagine they dont sit perfectly centered in a 2 jaw brace. And for a side question to Rob....you have anything else up your sleeves that will be released before the free shipping expires ? Im sure if I look hard enough I can find SOMETHING to get but I would hate to miss out on a new goodie.

John Sanford
12-31-2010, 2:40 AM
Chuck,

From the pic, it looks like your cabinet is suffering from a serious spokeshave deficeincy. The LV spokeshaves are schweeet.

Chuck Tringo
12-31-2010, 5:26 PM
Chuck,

From the pic, it looks like your cabinet is suffering from a serious spokeshave deficiency. The LV spokeshaves are schweeet.

Well, I have a LN Flat Boggs Shave ATM...which I love, but I have been eyeballing the LV set as its a great deal, but the card doesn't quite cover that much and if I cover the rest out of pocket it will likely be detrimental to my health (if my wife hears about it)

Marv Werner
12-31-2010, 6:09 PM
Chuck,

The 2101 Stanley/Yankee braces have a chuck that will grip all types of drill shanks. Best brace ever made.

Dan Andrews
12-31-2010, 6:12 PM
I have found modern forstner bits to be difficult to use in braces and breast drills. The slightest bit of rocking of the bit makes the sides jam in the hole. Forstners that I have want a lot of down pressure and no rocking. Therefore if you are a neander that wants to use forstner bits regularly, what you need is a post drill. That is the old blacksmith drill press. I have one and despite the slow rotation speed, It drills with forstner bits just fine.

As far as round forstner bits slipping in a chuck, I think they are likely to slip in any chuck that is not tightened with a key. I have adapted a modern drill press keyed chuck to my post drill using an over the counter adaptor.

Joel Goodman
12-31-2010, 7:12 PM
Chuck,

The 2101 Stanley/Yankee braces have a chuck that will grip all types of drill shanks. Best brace ever made.

I have 2 Stanley 923s and they also seem to hold everything.

Paul Chiasson
12-31-2010, 8:28 PM
I've got the three jaw chuck that Lee Valley sells.
It doesn't work for me for "round" shank bits.
Only tool from them I've ever been disappointed with.
Sorry...

gounthar frankfurt
07-19-2011, 4:08 AM
Hi guys,

I live in France, but haven't yet seen any place where theses braces are sold. I will keep on trying using various bits with various braces until I understand which "couples" work for me.
BTW, I just found a post drill, I will have to experiment with this one too.

Andrae Covington
07-19-2011, 9:18 AM
Hi guys,

I live in France, but haven't yet seen any place where theses braces are sold. I will keep on trying using various bits with various braces until I understand which "couples" work for me.
BTW, I just found a post drill, I will have to experiment with this one too.

That is cool.:cool: I've never seen one with flyweights on top instead of a wheel. I would be afraid of hitting myself in the head when they spin around though.:eek:

gounthar frankfurt
07-19-2011, 9:25 AM
Patrick Leach told me this is a modified Millers Falls... I think it will take time to get accustomed to using it... There is no lever to control the descent, it goes down and down when you speed up and up... :eek: