PDA

View Full Version : The Copper Necklace

John Keeton
12-30-2010, 11:01 AM
English Walnut, with a black matrix collar embedded with copper flakes. This piece is 4.75" wide, and 5" tall to the tip of the finial. The finial is Claro walnut, dyed black. At the neck, it is .07". This was the first piece that I have "returned" after a DNA bath. It came out bone dry, with very little distortion and no cracks. Pretty pleased with the process.

I was pleased with the proportions of this piece, and particularly the finial, which seems to have a nice bit of "lift" to it. But, let me know your thoughts, I am always willing to improve!:)

175601 175602 175603 175604

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Beautiful piece John. Love the form and the imbedded copper really sets it off. Where did you get the copper flakes?

dan carter
12-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Pretty piece. The large cove on the finial does give it lift. Nice job.

Ken Hill
12-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Excellent piece! To me, the copper really sets it off.

Mark Hubl
12-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Another nice piece John. I like the shape of the piece and the lift the foot is giving the piece. Tell us more about your copper collar process.

charlie knighton
12-30-2010, 11:16 AM
very nice....

Joe Aliperti
12-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Awesome piece, John. One of my favorites of all the pieces I've seen on the forum. I like how the form of the finial repeats itself, almost like a fractal.

- Joe

Jim Burr
12-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Wonderful as always!! The copper looks more like peel/shavings than flake:confused: What did you embed it in? I like the foot too...give it some added lift!:D

Ron Stadler
12-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I was paying close attention to your finial as well John, I think it looks great. And as far as the copper process, I too would love to know how you did that.

Rob Holcomb
12-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Wonderful piece John. I think this one is my favorite that you've shown us. Well done!

Doug W Swanson
12-30-2010, 11:52 AM
John,
You continue to amaze me with all the different tricks you use. It seems like you have been using these little tricks for years....

Another excellent job! Very nice form on the finial and the hollow form looks great, too!

Michael James
12-30-2010, 12:01 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: STUNNING :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
You have definitely arrived. Congratulations and happy new yr!
mj

Tim Thiebaut
12-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Wow.....that is absolutly amazing! I would also love to know the process on the copper.

Pete Jordan
12-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Excellent! I really like this piece!

Roger Chandler
12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
This one has the WOW to it for sure...........John, the copper necklace is certainly a couple of steps above what we often see, even with very good turnings. Your finial on this one is just great, and does have lift with the slightly upward turned area below the bulb. then the concave area that leads to a very nicely turned bottom portion that makes the lid.......well it compliments the hollow form so well..........which in and of itself is a superb form, with beautifully grained wood and finish.

Definitely WOW factor on this one. Is this a commissioned piece or one you will put in a gallery? You are raising the bar high, I have a long way to go to catch up with you, but I fear nose bleed at these heights :eek::D;)

Lee Koepke
12-30-2010, 12:16 PM
John, you pick beautiful pieces of wood and make them look BETTER!

That copper looks three dimensional, its like they are 'in motion' .... very nice.

tom martin
12-30-2010, 12:22 PM
I agree with Lee. In the second photo, I thought the copper was standing proud of the vessel. Truely amazing! Beautiful piece John!
Thanks for sharing,
Tom

Prashun Patel
12-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Lawyer, Schmoyer. You missed yr calling. I love the curve of the vessel.

I am however, offended that one would dye claro walnut black...

Greg Just
12-30-2010, 1:18 PM
John:

Very nice piece. Any chance you could take a close-up picture of the copper? Would love to see the details.

Thanks for sharing.

alex carey
12-30-2010, 1:27 PM
nice job, lovig that collar.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-30-2010, 1:37 PM
Truly.....incredible and stunning John. I like the collar and as someone else said the way the shape in the finial repeats itself in smaller scale.

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2010, 1:42 PM
Beautiful work once again John! Really like how the copper shavings give the detail ring a 3D effect - pretty cool! Beautiful wood, form and finial! Looking forward to seeing what you dream up next!

Richard Madden
12-30-2010, 2:15 PM
Great job, John. The proportions look just right!

John Frigillana
12-30-2010, 2:23 PM
John, Very nice HF with Finials. Whats the procedure and finishes used to get the results you have on your work?

John Keeton
12-30-2010, 2:33 PM
Thanks, so much, guys for the wonderful comments! The process of doing the accent ring was really pretty simple. I have answered some of the questions below, along with a few pics, but should add this. These flakes are about 3/16" square, give or take. The epoxy was poured in the recess to almost full, and then the flakes were added. I wanted them deformed so they would have various shapes and exposures, so I pushed them into the epoxy with an 1/8" dowel. They will settle, so you need more flakes than you might think. Unless you fill the recess quite full of them, they will all be on the bottom. I also turned about 1/32" off the surface of the form after the epoxy set.

Keoni, this piece has shellac, and WOP, and the finial is spray lacquer.

Hopefully, I have answered everyone's questions, but if not, let me know.

Where did you get the copper flakes?
Ms. Keeton has a wonderful "resource room, Bernie, and she had several sheets of this copper foil. It reads about .0025 on my calipers.I simply cut strips from it, and then cut the squares using about 3-4 strips at a time.
175622 175621
The copper looks more like peel/shavings than flake:confused: What did you embed it in?Jim, I used System Three epoxy, tinted black. It takes VERY little tint, and I wanted a translucent effect on this one to show the copper. So, I kind of sneaked up on the tint by adding very small amounts. In this case, to do the epoxy for this ring, one would not use more than a bit on the edge of an artist knife 1/4 the size of the fingernail on your little finger.

I am however, offended that one would dye claro walnut black...Prashun, my original thought on this one was to use copper leaf on a portion of the finial, and I was concerned about using African Blackwood because of the natural oils. However, I do have a LOT of Claro walnut! So, that is how it ended up being Claro. After getting the finial done, Ms. Keeton and I both felt it would detract from the overall look of the piece.

In the second photo, I thought the copper was standing proud of the vessel.Tom, I apologize for the quality of this pic. I had my camera set for the pics I took this morning, and by this time in the afternoon I am getting quite a bit more ambient light into my shop. The glare on this is pretty bad, but as you can see, the matrix is flush with the form.

Mark Bolton
12-30-2010, 3:24 PM
Thanks, so much, guys for the wonderful comments! The process of doing the accent ring was really pretty simple. I have answered some of the questions below, along with a few pics, but should add this.

John,
Stunning piece. The dimension of the copper flake inlay is really interesting, it would be nice to see it in person.

I have been working on doing something similar to this though not on a turning but wondered if you could answer some questions for me?

1. How deep is the gallery/void that you poured the epoxy and chips into?

2. Did you over-fill the gallery so the epoxy was proud of the surface then turn it down flush with the profile? If so how much, and to what grit did you have to polish to get it crystal clear again? Did you mask the surface around the gallery before running the epoxy?

3. Did you have any trouble with air bubbles?

4. Did you paint/stain the inner faces of the gallery before you poured the epoxy in?

I am trying to do this on flat work and it was a nice coincidence to come across this. Sorry for all the questions but was hoping to head off a any possible pitfalls.

Again, really nice,
Mark

John Keeton
12-30-2010, 5:04 PM
Thanks, Mark. Glad to have you visit the round side of the creek. I have responded to your questions within the quote below. Hope this helps!

John,
Stunning piece. The dimension of the copper flake inlay is really interesting, it would be nice to see it in person.

I have been working on doing something similar to this though not on a turning but wondered if you could answer some questions for me?

1. How deep is the gallery/void that you poured the epoxy and chips into? Very shallow - 3/32" - 1/8". I didn't measure it, but visually kept it no deeper than I intended for the finished thickness of the piece.

2. Did you over-fill the gallery so the epoxy was proud of the surface then turn it down flush with the profile? Yes

If so how much, and to what grit did you have to polish to get it crystal clear again? Probably no more than 1/32" mounded above the surface. Some of that was the copper. After finish turning the top of the form, and the matrix, I sanded it along with the form to a finished grit of 400, then burnished with 0000 steel wool.

Did you mask the surface around the gallery before running the epoxy?No, the tinted epoxy will definitely stain light colored wood if it is not well sealed. I sprayed a couple of heavy coats of shellac on the recess/gallery and surrounding areas prior to the pour.
3. Did you have any trouble with air bubbles? My experience with the System Three is that it sets fairly slowly and I have not had much difficulty with bubbles. I did, however, have some air pockets under some of the flakes as I turned off the excess. I filled those with some clear 5-minute epoxy.

4. Did you paint/stain the inner faces of the gallery before you poured the epoxy in? Just the shellac as noted above.

I am trying to do this on flat work and it was a nice coincidence to come across this. Sorry for all the questions but was hoping to head off a any possible pitfalls.

Again, really nice,
Mark

Matt Ranum
12-30-2010, 6:14 PM
That really is sharp John, you need to do some videos on one of these projects.

Linda Persoon
12-30-2010, 6:18 PM
John,

This piece is very special. I know you have heard it before, but your work is amazing for just a year of turning experience. You definitely have the artistic eye.

I really like the finial. The "copper necklace" is quite special. Well, the whole piece is top notch.

Thanks for sharing not only the photos, but answers to the process. Inspirational.

Looking forward to seeing what's turning in your head right now - that will materialize soon:o)

Bob Bergstrom
12-30-2010, 6:43 PM
The form and workmanship are just your usual exemplary work;). The copper effect I find facinating. The way the translucent black only slyly shadows the copper is special. Thanks for sharing the processes with us. As usual creekers are always will to share. Thanks John

Rick Markham
12-30-2010, 7:14 PM
John, you have really outdone yourself on this one. It is absolutely Awe inspiring! The copper work is unbelievable, and suits every aspect of this piece... excuse me... this is a Masterpiece!

David Warkentin
12-30-2010, 7:17 PM
Hi John. It looks great! And since nobody else has asked you to send it to them to check it out, then I will! So send me a pm and I'll send you my address. I will of course refund the shipping cost. David

Kieran Kammerer
12-30-2010, 7:18 PM
Very nice piece as always John. Love the copper effect.

David E Keller
12-30-2010, 7:25 PM
Very nice. Lovely proportions and finish. The effect of the copper foil is really nice as well. I particularly like the cove detail at the base of the finial. Another home run!

Curt Fuller
12-30-2010, 7:26 PM
John, very nice! The wood is really pretty and the copper necklace is striking. And the form is just about as close to perfect as my eye could see. Another one of those Keeton masterpieces!

Fred Belknap
12-30-2010, 7:38 PM
John they don't get much better than that. A true work of art.

David DeCristoforo
12-30-2010, 7:49 PM
Unmistakably "Keetonesque". Very nice.

Scott Hackler
12-30-2010, 8:16 PM
Very nice John. I have always liked accent rings filled with metal flake. The black and copper really compliment that great piece of walnut.

As far as critiques....hmmmm, I know that MOST of us want to hear the atta boys.... but I always want to hear the nit pick suggestions. So I tried real hard to look for critiques of this piece, so here it goes. The vessel is wonderful and accent ring as well. When my eyes flow up the piece I am a little put off by the curve leading up to the bottom of the onion. These are areas I stuggle with, to get that perfect flowing curve. This curve doen't quite have that perfect curve. But its close.

Another suggestion would be for pieces with this copper accent ring (or other metal) in the form, I would have like to see a copper accent incorporated in the finial. Either from a copper leaf bead detail in the middle or a copper leaf tip, just to tie it all together.

You always turn out great work and make it hard for me to find ANY thing to pick at! :)

Ray Bell
12-30-2010, 8:27 PM
Absolutely beautiful John. Just one more question. What did you use to tint the epoxy?

John Keeton
12-30-2010, 8:44 PM
You guys and gals are gracious! Thanks, again.

Ray, System Three has their own tints, and that is what I used. However, you can also use the standard tint pigments that the paint store uses to mix paint. The can of black pigment is about $10, but it will last FOREVER! It has a very thick consistency and you use very little of it. At one point, I was planning a piece with a white accent, and the paint store gave me a "squirt" in a little plastic tub I took with me. The little they gave me was enough to do several turnings.

Scott, I actually purchased the copper leaf for the finial (well, Ms. Keeton did!) and I also considered a copper bead (none to be found.) However, Ms. Keeton suggested, and I agree, that the focal point of this turning is the accent ring, and to draw the eye away from that with copper embellishment in the finial would have lessened the piece. I do understand your thought process, as that was my original thought, as well.

I took another look at the cove on the finial base. The angle of the pic may be distorting the view of the cove somewhat.

George Guadiane
12-30-2010, 8:46 PM
This is another DELIGHTFUL submission. I like the form, the finial, the finish, the works!

Lee Koepke
12-30-2010, 9:10 PM
How do you add the epoxy? Is the HF still on the lathe? My epoxy experience had been all flat, so I can't seem to wrap my head around filling a groove on a round object.

Allen stagg
12-30-2010, 9:24 PM
Can't get much better than that. I absolutely love it. That fianial is also great. Congrats.

gary Zimmel
12-30-2010, 9:32 PM
Sweet, real sweet piece John!

steven carter
12-30-2010, 10:26 PM
John,

Great HF, the form is spot on, and the copper "necklace" is super cool, looks very deep in the pictures, and the finial is fantastic.

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2010, 10:29 PM
John thanks for the info. I will have to rumage thru the wife's craft room and if she doesn't have any will be getting some.

Harry Robinette
12-30-2010, 11:44 PM
John
me thinks you havith the IDEA,really outstanding piece you need to start looking at some GOOD gallerys for your work.
Harry

Alan Trout
12-31-2010, 12:17 AM
John,

That is a very nice piece I agree with you that the proportions are very good. Everything works well together. IMHO this piece is what turning is all about.

Very well done.

Alan

brian watts
12-31-2010, 12:40 AM
WOW the copper is SWEET ... you can just send it my way ...

Don Alexander
12-31-2010, 3:41 AM
However, Ms. Keeton suggested, and I agree, that the focal point of this turning is the accent ring, and to draw the eye away from that with copper embellishment in the finial would have lessened the piece. I do understand your thought process, as that was my original thought, as well.

i'm not a big fan of finials on the whole but this one actually makes the piece look even better, almost like the copper necklace needed it to some degree
Raffan would be proud :D

John Keeton
12-31-2010, 7:39 AM
Your comments are uplifting, to say the least! Thanks so much.:o

Don, sounds like you got the Raffan book!!;):D You will love it. I studied hundreds of various turnings, both here on the creek, and elsewhere, when I first started turning. But, it was Raffan's book that did more for me than any other single effort.

How do you add the epoxy? Is the HF still on the lathe? My epoxy experience had been all flat, so I can't seem to wrap my head around filling a groove on a round object.Lee, the epoxy is quite thin - about like thick gravy. I take the chucked piece off the lathe, and set it upright to pour it. The pour is mounded, and you do have to "babysit" it for a little bit to catch the runs - which creep rather slowly. In about 30 minutes, it will start to thicken enough to hold its place. The entire top of the piece is heavily shellaced to prevent staining, and you will always want to plan for removal of a little wood to even everything up and rid the piece of the various overflow areas. In this case, about 1/32".

Ken Hill
12-31-2010, 7:49 AM
John, the wife just viewed the pictures and commented she liked the finial more then the HF. She did not use those terms, it was "black thingy" and "brown wood round thing" \, but she knows what she likes LOL

Bill Bolen
12-31-2010, 9:28 AM
Wow John that is a stunning piece. I love the 3D shading effect fron what I assume is the copper settling. This should fly off the gallery shelf!...Bill..

Mark Bolton
12-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks, Mark. Glad to have you visit the round side of the creek. I have responded to your questions within the quote below. Hope this helps!

John,
Thanks for the info, again really nice.

Mark

Jim Underwood
12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Wow John! This is lovely!

You know what they say about the most sincere form of flattery...

Dale Bright
12-31-2010, 10:56 AM
John, this piece is outstanding, which is the usual for your work. I really like the way you "think outside the box" when you are embellishing your work. The copper accents work very well.

Very well done,

Dale

bob svoboda
12-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Another great effort. I love the copper-everything works very well together on this one.

John W Dixon
12-31-2010, 12:51 PM
John this is gorgeous and quite possibly my favorite piece you have done which is saying something. Keep up the wonderful work.

John

Joshua Dinerstein
01-24-2011, 4:43 PM
Wow. I really like this one John. I was having to be very very critical to come up with anything I would change. The only small thing I could come up with was I really like the flare and flat ledge dimensions in the middle of the finial. The proportions are just excellent at the point. If I was going to suggest anything it would be to have mirrored those dimensions at the very top. The width of the flare and it transitions into the flat base for the small tip at the very top is narrower than in the middle. It appears to be the same dimension as the tip.

Anyway, who knows. The piece is beautiful! I am inspired as always.

Joshua

Carol Kinney
01-24-2011, 5:23 PM
This is a very nice piece John. I love the proportions, the finish along with the effects of the copper foil. The cove detail at the base of the finial is wonderful. Great Job John, I do hope you have more of these up your sleeve.

Steve Vaughan
01-24-2011, 5:29 PM
Wow, John, I'm just gonna go ahead right here and right now and nominate this piece to win something. I don't know what, but durn, it needs to win. Just a very excellent piece, I'm just saying...!

George Morris
01-24-2011, 5:30 PM
John great work! Very well done! G

John Keeton
01-24-2011, 6:32 PM
Thanks folks! Not sure why this thread surfaced, but I do appreciate the kind words.

Gary Conklin
01-24-2011, 6:53 PM
Hey Keeton, why isn't this piece on your site yet??

Scott T Smith
01-24-2011, 7:12 PM
John, that is absolutely spectacular! I'm glad that the thread resurfaced - I missed it the first time around. What finish did you use?

Scott

David DeCristoforo
01-24-2011, 7:53 PM
"Not sure why this thread surfaced..."

The cream always rises to the top...

David Warkentin
01-24-2011, 8:11 PM
That's good David!

John Keeton
01-24-2011, 8:43 PM
Hey Keeton, why isn't this piece on your site yet??Gary, this piece sold within an hour of being posted on SMC. I do need to update my site, however, and do some rearranging on it - just need to stop putting it off and do it!!

"Not sure why this thread surfaced..."

The cream always rises to the top...And, quickly turns sour and goes bad!!;)

Scott, the finish was shellac and WOP - several coats, then buffed and Ren wax.

Thanks, guys - you all are way too gracious!:o

GLENN THOMAS
01-24-2011, 8:48 PM
John,

That is a really beautiful piece, I can't say enough about it.

Mike OMelia
01-24-2011, 8:59 PM
John, I really like that and would like to know more about the tints. Does System 3 sell them? Did you have any problem with cutting through the epoxy to the copper?

Mike

Brian Effinger
01-24-2011, 9:42 PM
Wow!!! This piece blows me away. Beautiful form, flawless finish, and I love the copper. That copper is just so cool! :D I don't think you could improve on this.

Gary Conklin
01-24-2011, 10:23 PM
And a lucky buyer indeed!

John Keeton
01-25-2011, 7:13 AM
Glenn, Brian and Gary - thanks! Mike, I sent you a PM on the System Three questions.

brian watts
01-25-2011, 7:35 AM
you have out done your self on this one..OH yea are you FEEDING my turkeys yet?

Alan Heffernan
01-29-2011, 8:14 AM
As the Brits would say, "Brilliant!". Very nice and thanks for sharing your techniques. I am a big fan of turquoise and would like to try a mix of copper and stone.